Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

german shepherd crying

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

What sort of training i.e methods have the various trainers advised. Have they experience in dealing with GSD's. How many months obedience training was undertaken with this dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well she came from a farm and there is always things going on, animals to see, follow the farmer around and to investigate everything.
    I know our dog used to sleep up in the farmyard sheds when there was activity like lambing season.

Your dog has nothing like this anymore

Now she lives in your backyard, is it boredom?

Not sure would getting a companion work but it was my first reaction. It's a long thread, I see this was posted already

Sell your lawnmower, get a few sheep to keep the lawn tidy and the dog will watch over them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well she came from a farm and there is always things going on, animals to see, follow the farmer around and to investigate everything.
    I know our dog used to sleep up in the farmyard sheds when there was activity like lambing season.

Your dog has nothing like this anymore

Now she lives in your backyard, is it boredom?

Not sure would getting a companion work but it was my first reaction. It's a long thread, I see this was posted already

Sell your lawnmower, get a few sheep to keep the lawn tidy and the dog will watch over them ;)
    ha, she has 3 other dogs 2 cats that she loves to bits, my partner and me plus are 2 kids. sorry no lawnmower gdn cemented

axle108 wrote: »
    What sort of training i.e methods have the various trainers advised. Have they experience in dealing with GSD's. How many months obedience training was undertaken with this dog.

she has been going to training ever since she was a pup. thatys the thing as ive already said very obident during the day has her funny little ways but they are getting better. i am looking into agility but cant find anything around this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Could you crate train her? Then put a towel over the crate to block out the light? It's what we do when our Jack Russell gets noisey, it just seems to settle him.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Could you crate train her? Then put a towel over the crate to block out the light? It's what we do when our Jack Russell gets noisey, it just seems to settle him.
    no, while all my others where, as i have all ready said i got her at 5-6 months with a lot of problems one been indoors. she came from a farm situation so one of her prob is she hates been indoors. saying that she is getting better will now stay in for maybe 2-3 hrs at a time wheres before to look at her it was like looking at a caged animal. dont think the light has to much to do with it as all during the winter she was staring some mornings before 6 and it was pitch black

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

OP would you consider an anti bark collar? Its just your GSD sounds like she is physically looked after well and also has plenty of company to keep her happy and is still crying looking for attention.

My dog used to bark in the middle of the night for no reason 3am sometimes later, or he might of been upset by the damn cats around. Anyways I tried alot of things before getting the collar (which took some convincing but when your loosing sleep and your neighbours hate you over your dog you will try anything):(

I firstly got the spray collar which sprayed citronella which dogs are meant to HATE (mine loved the bloody stuff):rolleyes: so I had to get the static collar- Its not as bad as it sounds its like the shock you get when you touch metal. Anyways it worked really well, and he knows now when I put it on him that he shudnt be barking, i dont even have to put it on him at night anymore:D just sometimes when hes being naughty...

Amzie wrote: »
    OP would you consider an anti bark collar? Its just your GSD sounds like she is physically looked after well and also has plenty of company to keep her happy and is still crying looking for attention.

My dog used to bark in the middle of the night for no reason 3am sometimes later, or he might of been upset by the damn cats around. Anyways I tried alot of things before getting the collar (which took some convincing but when your loosing sleep and your neighbours hate you over your dog you will try anything):(

I firstly got the spray collar which sprayed citronella which dogs are meant to HATE (mine loved the bloody stuff):rolleyes: so I had to get the static collar- Its not as bad as it sounds its like the shock you get when you touch metal. Anyways it worked really well, and he knows now when I put it on him that he shudnt be barking, i dont even have to put it on him at night anymore:D just sometimes when hes being naughty...

first she dont bark she cries so i dont know if one of these collars would work on her. 2nd i hate the things, i think they are sooooo cruel and i think this country should be like wales and ban the horrible things.
    sorry if i sound ungrateful for your advise but i really do detest them

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Have you tried a Thundershirt? Its a jacket that calms nervous/anxious dogs. I haven't used them but there is a money back guarantee with them afaik. Another poster has posted about them here a few times. Might be worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

first she dont bark she cries so i dont know if one of these collars would work on her. 2nd i hate the things, i think they are sooooo cruel and i think this country should be like wales and ban the horrible things.
    sorry if i sound ungrateful for your advise but i really do detest them

Ye does work on cries, it's grand not everyone agrees with em, I wudnt put it on him if I though he was in pain, he's very furry too so it prob more of a funny sensation than a shock to him. I was at the end of my teather with neighbours givn me dirty looks because of my dog But the collar worked nd no more complaints

Also just to add that the collar isn't one of those high intensity ones that ya can turn up higher, I've even tried it on my wrist to see what kinda static it is nd its not bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

dudmis wrote: »
    Have you tried a Thundershirt? Its a jacket that calms nervous/anxious dogs. I haven't used them but there is a money back guarantee with them afaik. Another poster has posted about them here a few times. Might be worth trying.

They are brilliant! I got one last year because one of my dogs was a very reactive, prone to barking and being unsettled. It improved him no end and made him quicker to focus on what I was telling him. One night, it was very stormy and the letterbox was making all sorts of noise and he was barking at it. I put the Thundershirt on him and he went to sleep on the couch a few minutes later, didn't mind about the noise at all.
    He used to whinge and whine when we'd be out for walks but with the Thundershirt, he was a lot quieter. I rarely use it now to be honest, he's improved that much.

What you posted about not sleeping, you have my deepest sympathies. My grandmother used to keep me awake at night shouting and what not when she was alive - sedatives didn't work on her one bit - and it's no joke if you are sleep deprived. You just can't function. So I really hope that you find a solution to this.

domt know what happened last night but this morning not a peep till 10 to 9. i feel so much better after a good nights sleep. dont know why this happened last night, nothing was different. i know things will proberly be back to normal tomorrow but at least i know she can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

domt know what happened last night but this morning not a peep till 10 to 9. i feel so much better after a good nights sleep. dont know why this happened last night, nothing was different. i know things will proberly be back to normal tomorrow but at least i know she can change.

Maybe she is reading boards :D

dudmis wrote: »
    Maybe she is reading boards :D
    ha, maybe she is. actually when i was posting yesterday she was sitting beside me. knew she was clever, didnt realise how much

Advertisement