Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card Not Valid after I "Touched-On"

Options
  • 28-04-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Has anybody seen or known of a case where a leap card after been touched on at the platform/gate showed up as being non valid by an inspector?

An inspector checked my leap card ticket after it was touched on and then found it to be invalid. Card was touched on and off within the Dublin Short Hop Zone.

He scanned the card declared it invalid and issued a penalty. He also asked for my PPS number.

I appealed and got a response back from the Revenue Protection Unit to say the card was found to have been not valid even though I explained it was touched on at the platform. I even attached my leap card transaction history to my email appeal from my account on leapcard.ie showing the leap card transactions for that date.

I'm baffled on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Was the fixed fare issued on the basis that you hadn't tagged on when you were stopped or was it issued due to you not having a valid Leap Card when you were stopped? These are two very different situations, OP, and you need to suss which is which out first off before you consider your next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Was the fixed fare issued on the basis that you hadn't tagged on when you were stopped or was it issued due to you not having a valid Leap Card when you were stopped? These are two very different situations, OP, and you need to suss which is which out first off before you consider your next step.

Thanks Losty

I had a valid leap card and I tagged the card also prior to getting on the train!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ricardo1 wrote: »
    Thanks Losty

I had a valid leap card and I tagged the card also prior to getting on the train!!!!

Did you, though? If the inspectors said it was invalid then I presume that they said so with fairly good reason. You should clarify from them precisely why it was found to be invalid before you go on with your appeal. There may be a simple explanation here that you are missing for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So your leap card history shows that you tagged on and that the journey was paid for but the inspector's card reader either gave no result or stated that the card was invalid? I would suspect there is a problem with the inspector's equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The handheld scanners read the card in a way that is different from how the validators read the card and is not definitive.

You should contact Leap about this issue.

He should not have asked for your PPS number incidentally and you should report this to DSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If your leap card transaction history shows the tag on and off, then I would place a lot of emphasis on where IE's revenue protection department could go to swivel on. This is their mess to sort out, not yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Send them a print out of the transaction history with a copy of your fine. Emphasise the time of your fine was received between touch on/off.

It's madness if they choose to pursue it.

Advertisement