Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2136374/Kenny-Dalglish-Liverpool-replace-Damien-Comolli.html
    Kenny Dalglish insists Liverpool’s summer rebuilding plans remain fluid even though he has admitted the club urgently need to replace Damien Comolli.

Liverpool’s American owners are continuing to assess what step they should take next after dramatically sacking Comolli from his role as Director of Football 16 days ago.

Principal owner John W Henry and Chairman Tom Werner have been consulting Dalglish in the interim and the manager will be fully involved in whatever appointment they decide to make.

But Dalglish, who has always had the final say on signings, has dismissed the suggestion that not having a Director of Football will impinge on Liverpool’s transfer policy.

‘We are not idle,’ said Dalglish, whose side face Norwich on Saturday evening at Carrow Road. ‘The owners haven’t decided how they are going to replace Damien but that doesn’t mean the work has stopped.

‘Anything we have got to do, we will continue to do the best we can until the owners make the decision on how they want Damien’s role replaced. There is no guarantee that they will replace Damien like for like.

‘The people (who come in) will just take up the conversations we have had. We know where we are going. The Director of Football role in this country is much maligned.

‘I think people just have something against the job title or the principles. For me, the role Damien played was a fantastic help. I think it would be for any manager, as long as everyone knows the lines that they cannot cross, that’s fine.’

Steven Gerrard is expected to return to action on Saturday evening after missing last week’s defeat to West Brom with a tight hamstring and he, surprisingly, is one of seven Liverpool players in the 80 names who could potentially play for team GB at the Olympics.

Gerrard will not make the final 18 if, as is expected, he plays for England at Euro 2012 but Martin Kelly, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll, Craig Bellamy and Charlie Adam are all in the reckoning and Dalglish will not put pressure on his players to make a decision over playing.

‘I loved playing for my country,’ said Dalglish. ‘I suppose it depends what age you are and really what you want. But for me I would have sided with the club.

But, as I say, I played 102 times for my country so it wasn't as if I was shy about playing for them. I am not going to be critical of anyone who wants to go and play.’

Most interesting bit of the piece, makes methinks Comolli pissed kenny of someway or overstepped his role;
    I think people just have something against the job title or the principles. For me, the role Damien played was a fantastic help. I think it would be for any manager, as long as everyone knows the lines that they cannot cross, that’s fine.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Any suggestions for players similar to what Newcastle did in last summers transfer window e.g Ba, Cabaye etc.

p.s Players must cost less than £5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kenny and Clarke were over at the Montpellier match last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

copacetic wrote: »
    Tv viewing figures are as accurate here as anywhere else, they are done by the same independent company as most countries. They are also used by advertisers and media buyers to determine how much they pay, so you can be sure they are pretty accurate. Nothing to do with a TV company 'saying' how many watch.

RTE used to give out viewing figures that were amazingly accurate. Figures like 749,354. Amazing accuracy right down to exact viewing figures that countries with much more modern (and close to fully digital) set ups could not match or verify to the same level.

Then again Ireland has a great history of honest reports at the highest levels so I would assume that the National broadcaster would have the same high and honest standards.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kenny and Clarke were over at the Montpellier match last night!

Yep. There were quite a few very good players on display in that game. Fingers crossed with get one or two of them to replace some of our underperformers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

djPSB wrote: »
    Any suggestions for players similar to what Newcastle did in last summers transfer window e.g Ba, Cabaye etc.

p.s Players must cost less than £5m

Hoilett is the one player from the Premier league that i think would be a good addition. A great one in fact.

Here is a list of premier league Bosman's in the Summer -
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2012/01/03/2828361/premier-league-bosman-list-didier-drogba-and-all-the-players

If anyone has a European one, that'd be interesting. I couldn't find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep. There were quite a few very good players on display in that game. Fingers crossed with get one or two of them to replace some of our underperformers.

My immediate thought was that it would be Giroud in particular they were looking at.

This thought came into my head during the week and i know he's in his thirties now, but we should put a bid in for Di Natale of Udinese. He's exactly what we need, a finisher. He probably wouldn't leave because he seems to genuinely love Udinese and i think even turned down a move to Juventus, but still, we could at least try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerty wrote: »
    Hoilett is the one player from the Premier league that i think would be a good addition. A great one in fact.

Here is a list of premier league Bosman's in the Summer -
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2012/01/03/2828361/premier-league-bosman-list-didier-drogba-and-all-the-players

If anyone has a European one, that'd be interesting. I couldn't find one.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_L1_2012.html

select the league at the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

This thought came into my head during the week and i know he's in his thirties now, but we should put a bid in for Di Natale of Udinese. He's exactly what we need, a finisher. He probably wouldn't leave because he seems to genuinely love Udinese and i think even turned down a move to Juventus, but still, we could at least try!

Udinese have as much chance of signing Steven Gerrard off us.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah sound out, we all beat up the occasional DJ from time to time when they don't play our music of choice.

Quick, somebody mention some controversial fachts!

Did you know Danny Guthrie is out of contract? Be a good player to bring back, better than Spearing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

mike65 wrote: »
    Did you know Danny Guthrie is out of contract? Be a good player to bring back, better than Spearing....

Thats the kind of attitude that will guarantee us 7th spot next season. Seriously what would be the point :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yeah lets get Jon Otsomobor back while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yeah lets get Jon Otsomobor back while we're at it.

Zak Whitbread is out of contract too, Carra's long term replacement re-discovered

Okay.....the point is getting rid of a very limited player for money and replacing him with a better squad player for nothing.

• Advertisement

Very debatable. Since Newcastle came back to the EPL he has been very much a fourth or fifth choice midfielder for them. He pretty much has the same role in the Newcastle squad as Spearing does in the Liverpool one.

He is as far behind Tiote in the Newcastle squad in terms of ability as Spearing is behind Lucas. Nowt more than an EPL squad player or a decent Championship player at best.

No better than Spearing in terms of ability. Doubt we would get very much at all if we sold Spearing in the morning, so the move would make no sense for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My immediate thought was that it would be Giroud in particular they were looking at.

I don't personally think it was Olivier Giroud that Kenny was looking at.
    I think it was Sissoko, Capoue, Abdennour or Yanga-Mbiwa

Okay.....the point is getting rid of a very limited player for money and replacing him with a better squad player for nothing.

I cant believe im about to debate a Spearing vs Guthire topic so i just wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Gaston Ramirez.....don't know much about him.....any good?

Paul Scharner is a free agent again this summer.
    Remember we were linked with him 2 years ago.
    Thank fcuk we've surely moved on since then.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    I don't personally think it was Olivier Giroud that Kenny was looking at.
    I think it was Sissoko, Capoue, Abdennour or Yanga-Mbiwa

Would hope that he was looking at Belhanda as well. We simply don't have as good a midfielder of his ilk in the squad.

Newcastle got Cabaye after he had an excellent season for the team, Lille, that had just won the French league and I reckon Belhanda would be gettable. With two years left on his contract Montpellier might well want to cash in on him. The club president has already stated to the press last month that he would consider selling the player this summer and he stated that £15m would be the price clubs would have to come in at for the player.

Getting a player like Belhanda for anything between £15m and £20m would be a great bit of business imho. He only turned 22 this year and is already looking like a player with years more experience. Plus his technical ability and reading of the game is already excellent.

Would hope that he was looking at Belhanda as well. We simply don't have as good a midfielder of his ilk in the squad.

Newcastle got Cabaye after he had an excellent season for the team, Lille, that had just won the French league and I reckon Belhanda would be gettable. With two years left on his contract Montpellier might well want to cash in on him. The club president has already stated to the press last month that he would consider selling the player this summer and he stated that £15m would be the price clubs would have to come in at for the player.

Getting a player like Belhanda for anything between £15m and £20m would be a great bit of business imho. He only turned 22 this year and is already looking like a player with years more experience. Plus his technical ability and reading of the game is already excellent.
    I'd hope Liverpool are in for Giroud and Belhanda but I just get the feeling they will both go to Champions league football.
    Giroud in particular looks like the type of player Bayern Munich could snap up IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Very debatable. Since Newcastle came back to the EPL he has been very much a fourth or fifth choice midfielder for them. He pretty much has the same role in the Newcastle squad as Spearing does in the Liverpool one.

He is as far behind Tiote in the Newcastle squad in terms of ability as Spearing is behind Lucas. Nowt more than an EPL squad player or a decent Championship player at best.

No better than Spearing in terms of ability. Doubt we would get very much at all if we sold Spearing in the morning, so the move would make no sense for me.

Guthrie, over the season, has firmly been 1st choice for Newcastle if either Cabaye or Tiote aren't available. He's put in a number of excellent shifts for them this year. Spearing might be a tad better defensively but Guthrie is far superior in all other areas of the game.

I'd hope Liverpool are in for Giroud and Belhanda but I just get the feeling they will both go to Champions league football.
    Giroud in particular looks like the type of player Bayern Munich could snap up IMO

Like you I don't think we are looking at Giroud, and I defo think that there will be CL clubs in for him, with one of them getting him this summer. I think if we go looking for a striker this summer, and we had better be, that a different style of player will be the target. Have a feeling that a fast striker with good technical ability, good positioning sense and a track record of scoring will be what we go after.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa might be a shout as well if there is something going on behind the scenes reagrding our current centre backs. Pretty sure that come the summer he will be entering the final 12 months of his contract as well. Like Belhanda he is only 22 (but good enough to be club captain), but already years ahead of his age in terms of ability. He is a fine centre back in either of the CB slots and a pretty good full back when needed as well. Seem to remember him covering in DM in a few games as well.

G.K. wrote: »
    Guthrie, over the season, has firmly been 1st choice for Newcastle if either Cabaye or Tiote aren't available. He's put in a number of excellent shifts for them this year. Spearing might be a tad better defensively but Guthrie is far superior in all other areas of the game.

Bolands Jaffa Cakes are firmly my first choice after Jacobs & McVities. Basically they're my third choice

Hoki wrote: »
    Bolands Jaffa Cakes are firmly my first choice after Jacobs & McVities. Basically they're my third choice

Automatically thought of Willie John Boland there

I have no idea who he is & upon googling him im glad i didn't!

Hoki wrote: »
    I have no idea who he is & upon googling him im glad i didn't!

Sounds like your mother in law has you in great form

Touche :pac: i think im still drunk tbh

G.K. wrote: »

So what you are saying is that he is first choice if the players ahead of him are injured.

Last season he was behind Tiote, Nolan, and Barton.

This season he has been behind Tiote, Cabaye and has been scrapping with the likes of Gosling for the back up slot.

If Tiote had not had time out injured this season then I reckon that Guthrie would have got nowhere near the 19 games in all comps that he got. Even last season without Cabaye being at the club Guthrie only managed 14 games in all comps.

He is a back up player for Newcastle and saying that he is a first choice player if the real first chicers are out just confirms that really.

Liverpool have enough by way of average midfielders who are squad level rather than first team level right now to want another squad level player to further drag the midfield options down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭mormank

RTE used to give out viewing figures that were amazingly accurate. Figures like 749,354. Amazing accuracy right down to exact viewing figures that countries with much more modern (and close to fully digital) set ups could not match or verify to the same level.

Then again Ireland has a great history of honest reports at the highest levels so I would assume that the National broadcaster would have the same high and honest standards.

Maybe someone just figured out early that if you give a figure ending with odd numbers as opposed to ending in 000 that people will believe it easier i.e. 456,761 is more believeable than 456,700. I always wondered what costitues a viewer in those polls anyway? If I flick through and watch the Late Late for 2 mins during the ad of whatever show I'm watching do I become a statistic for the Late Late? How long do I need to watch before I do??

Marko Marin who's been linked to Liverpool before is rumoured to be going to Chelsea next season with Lukaku going on loan to Werder Bremen as part of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Marko Marin who's been linked to Liverpool before is rumoured to be going to Chelsea next season with Lukaku going on loan to Werder Bremen as part of the deal.

Meh dodged a bullet with Marin, bought him in FIFA 12 and he is not that good but always complains when I don't pick him.

Wonder if Lukaku going means they will be keeping Torres next season?

Automatically thought of Willie John Boland there

Carew Parks finest.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I read Kagawa's name in articles along side teams like UTD etc.

I would die a little inside if I have to watch him play for a PL rival .

mormank wrote: »
    Maybe someone just figured out early that if you give a figure ending with odd numbers as opposed to ending in 000 that people will believe it easier i.e. 456,761 is more believeable than 456,700. I always wondered what costitues a viewer in those polls anyway? If I flick through and watch the Late Late for 2 mins during the ad of whatever show I'm watching do I become a statistic for the Late Late? How long do I need to watch before I do??

If you possessed a measuring box, 15 minutes.

On a serious note if the 8 million pound fee being reported for Marin is genuine, it makes you want to bang your head against the wall.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On a serious note if the 8 million pound fee being reported for Marin is genuine, it makes you want to bang your head against the wall.

That supposedly includes the year long loan of Lukaku to Werder Bremen.

Can't help but feel Marin is another enigma.

If you possessed a measuring box, 15 minutes.

Which most households do not. So the big viewing figures announced are based on the % breakdown of the small number that have measuring boxes and then it is just assumed that the same % of the viewing population does the same thing.

Estimated figures rather than accurate figures.

• Advertisement

So what you are saying is that he is first choice if the players ahead of him are injured.

Last season he was behind Tiote, Nolan, and Barton.

This season he has been behind Tiote, Cabaye and has been scrapping with the likes of Gosling for the back up slot.

If Tiote had not had time out injured this season then I reckon that Guthrie would have got nowhere near the 19 games in all comps that he got. Even last season without Cabaye being at the club Guthrie only managed 14 games in all comps.

He is a back up player for Newcastle and saying that he is a first choice player if the real first chicers are out just confirms that really.

Liverpool have enough by way of average midfielders who are squad level rather than first team level right now to want another squad level player to further drag the midfield options down.

I disagree, he's clearly 3rd choice.

But he's not what LFC need, as you say, so I'll leave it at that.

That supposedly includes the year long loan of Lukaku to Werder Bremen.

Can't help but feel Marin is another enigma.

I know a few on here really rate the guy, but I am unsure about him because I have always felt that he lacks a little by way of heart or maybe application.

He is very talented in terms of skill, and his positional play suggests that he reads the game well, but I often feel that he can be bullied out of games or that he sometimes decides he just does not feel up to performing on certain days.

I know a few on here really rate the guy, but I am unsure about him because I have always felt that he lacks a little by way of heart or maybe application.

He is very talented in terms of skill, and his positional play suggests that he reads the game well along, but I often feel that he can be bullied out of games or that he sometimes decides he just does not feel up to performing on certain days.
    Worth a punt for Chelsea at the prices quoted this morning for him IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Personally would love Marin...the missus is from Bremen, and he is a god to the locals.

Would be nice to take him...would give me a 2-0 record, as we bought Suarez while i was living in holland with 6 hardcore ajax supporters.

Perhaps a change of scene would kick him up the backside a bit.

Chelsea website confirm Marin will sign

• Advertisement

Rumours that Man City are close to a deal for Eden Hazard too

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Yeah Japanese press reporting that Kagawa has been offered a contract by united.

Really hope he doesn't go.

The ''ITK's'' missed that Marin deal completely

Worth a punt for Chelsea at the prices quoted this morning for him IMO

8 million and a player on loan would make him worth a punt for a lot of teams including us, as you said he could a bit of an enigma but my issue is more with the prices we have paid for players who would need to step their game up a bit to be considered mediocre. If you can get a German international for that price we really need to broaden our horizons. Hopefully Kenny and Clarke at the game in France the other night is the beginning of that.

Rumours that Man City are close to a deal for Eden Hazard too

Yeah that has been all over the French media for a few days now. Both Manchester clubs are meant to have come in to try and get him this summer.

Will not be a happy camper if he lines up against us next season*

*unless of course Kenny is going to surprise me by getting Welliton, Belhanda, Hoilett and Sissoko this summer.:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement