Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn Advice?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,

I sowed a new lawn (two thirds of an acre), back in late April. It is growing patchy, which I am told is normal. I have cut it approx 4 times so far. There are some weeds growing in it, which despite having sprayed it prior to sowing, I'm also told is normal.

Some weeds are thistles and the others are a sort of creeper weed. I was advised by my local garden centre not to put any chemicals on my lawn for the first year and to simply keep cutting and the weeds to eventually die.

They haven't and now some of my grass is appearing slightly yellow? I contacted a company who said that they can fertilise and weed kill it but it would cost 800 euro per year!?!

Can someone please let me know what my options are please?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't worry about the weeds, the lawn is probably too young to use weedkiller on it quite yet. Wait until late next spring. There are still a lot of weed seeds blowing about so you would just be chasing your tail anyway.
    September is a great time for sowing seed. Don't wait, do it now and overseed. The new grass will be fairly established before the harsh winter kicks in. And in early November give the lawn an autumn feed. But just check the box to see if your grass is old enough to take the fertiliser. Should be ok if you sow now.
    Come next spring you should have plenty of healthy grass ready to take off. Nice thick healthy grass itself will help shade out weeds. If they persist, then use a weed killer in late sring once the weeds are actively growing. Then you should have the lawn you want next summer.
    If you are sowing seed now, do it on a still day and lightly water so it makes good contact with the ground. If there is a dry period, especially windy and dry, give a quick light hose every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

Thanks Redser.

I think I'll take your advice and spread some more grass seed on the baldy areas and for the Autumn feed, would this be a fertilkiser like 10-10-20?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

No worries. It will actually be something like 4:10:5. High in phosphorous to strength roots so the plant can withstand the winter weather and be strong to take off in the spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

Legend. Thanks :)

Advertisement