Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2015, west coast USA

Options
  • 15-11-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So myself and another girl are thinking of going on a J1 this year, I'll be 21 & she'll be 24. We were thinking of going to the west coast, maybe San Diego/San Fran. We havent really looked into it too well, it will be our first time on a j1, and have no idea what to expect!

is it really hard to find a job, is it expensive? should we go with a company or go it alone? where to stay?
    oh, and if anyone would be upto it..we'd like to stay with other people to get the rent down & meet new people etc. D :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

In similar situation to ye, 2 girls (22 and 23) hopefully heading to San Diego.... would love to hear of anyones experiences re jobs/accomodation etc.! Is it better to go in a bigger group?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm heading to San Fran too with 4 other lads and 2 girls. Interested to hear peoples experiences with the frat houses in Berkeley. Seen some are supposed to be around $600 or so for the summer which seems very cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lauramorrin

Hey, really want to go NY next summer, travelling myself most my friends aren't bothered or too strapped for cash! Anyone looking for someone share house with id defiantly be up for it :)

Anyone have any experiences of Sigma Nu in Berkeley as a place to live for a J1 in San Francisco?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Im looking to go to San Francisco too next summer! Been doing some research and it seems that Berkeley is the most popular but does anyone know how easy it is to find accommodation/work there? And how far it is from San Fran city if you had to travel everyday for work is it possible??
    More than likely ill be travelling over on my own so it would be brilliant to find people to share with before I go! I booked through USIT and should be travelling over around the 21st of May as soon as my exams finish!
    It would be great to get some advice & if anyone is looking for people to build up numbers and lower costs of rent do get in contact with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aileenk12

There's possibly 5 or 6 of us girls planning on a J1 to San Diego! Anyone any recommendations on what travel agent to go with?

aileenk12 wrote: »
    There's possibly 5 or 6 of us girls planning on a J1 to San Diego! Anyone any recommendations on what travel agent to go with?

I'm going with SayIt to San Fran this year. Went with Usit before to NY and they're both much of a muchness. Only going with SayIt this year as they were running a discount deal in my college last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 georgieann

Hi Rachel,

Myself and two friends are planning to head to San Francisco this may for the year visa. We have looked into the place and Berkley is the best and cheapest area to live. We are looking more into jobs etc. But we are looking for people who would like to come and rent with us

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sara.Cherokee

georgieann wrote: »
    Hi Rachel,

Myself and two friends are planning to head to San Francisco this may for the year visa. We have looked into the place and Berkley is the best and cheapest area to live. We are looking more into jobs etc. But we are looking for people who would like to come and rent with us

If you're looking for someone else to rent with for the summer, I'm up for it! 20, but know the city like the back of my hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

If you're looking for someone else to rent with for the summer, I'm up for it! 20, but know the city like the back of my hand :)

Myself and another friend of mine are heading over in May. We're looking for people to share with. Is it best to live in the city or Berkeley? Did you have accommodation sorted before you went out or did you stay in a hostel for the fist week before you go sorted.(Sorry for all the questions first time going over) :v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Sara.Cherokee

Myself and another friend of mine are heading over in May. We're looking for people to share with. Is it best to live in the city or Berkeley? Did you have accommodation sorted before you went out or did you stay in a hostel for the fist week before you go sorted.(Sorry for all the questions first time going over) :v

I got your pm, replying now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Does anyone have any information on the Berkeley Student Co-op's? I may be heading over alone so I think that this would be the best option for me, rent is not too expensive & it seems pretty easy to apply etc! Has anybody else looked into this? Or stayed in one of the Co-op's before? Any info/advice on them would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Advertisement