Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight cancellation insurance for others

Options
  • 27-09-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

I am booking flights for my niece and her new baby to come visit in a few weeks, but I would like to book insurance as well in case the baby is unable to travel due to illness etc. They are coming a long distance and would like to make sure that all costs are recoverable.

Is this possible to book insurance for others ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Technically you would not be able to take out insurance for her travel. If you pay for the trip then you are making a gift to her which legally means that you have no insurable interest in the matter - in law it makes no odds to you whether she travels or not. Of course you would miss the enjoyment of having her visit you but that is neither here nor there because she could be travelling to the other side of the world so the fact that the trip is for her to visit you counts for nothing - it's not something that can be insured.

The best thing is to give her the money to pay for the trip and she should take out travel insurance to cover cancellation, curtailment or abandonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭monsterdev

Superb advice ! Thanks so much

Advertisement