Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

BJC wrote: »
    Hey guys, getting a laptop today after much deliberation, I've narrowed it down to these 3. Which is the best value for money and will last the longest?

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1637364/art/samsung/r510-xe2v-5750.html

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1576940/art/sony/vaio-vgn-nr38m-s.html

Or the basic package of the inspiron 1525. Any ideas?

Out of those 3, i would pick the samsung. Only thing i would try change would be to get a 9 cell battery with it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 for the samsung. Best processor, and dedicated graphics and hdmi out to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

+1 for the samsung. Best processor, and dedicated graphics and hdmi out.

I'm now even tempted by it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Cheers guys, will I be able to upgrade the ram and hard drive on that in a few years because I want it to last. Will it handle much gaming?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BJC wrote: »
    Cheers guys, will I be able to upgrade the ram and hard drive on that in a few years because I want it to last. Will it handle much gaming?

It's already got 3Gb of RAM so you may not have to upgrade, i think the mobo will only support 4gig anyway. You should be able to upgrade the HD if you want more space in the future, not too sure how easy it would be, but it should be possible. As for gaming, it would handle moderate gaming, mid to low settings. Should be able to handle the likes of CoD4

• Advertisement

Alright, I was just about to buy it for a total of 680 (incl. UPS 24 hr. delivery and VAT) BUT then I was told this laptop is going for 750 reduced from a grand in currys:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1517953/art/hp-compaq/pavilion-dv6920ea.html

For me, 750 is a bit of a stretch, I didnt even realise the samsung would reach 680 in total. Are the added features worth the extra cost(blue ray, 5 in 1 card reader, better widescreen more outputs). Keeping in mind it has a slightly inferior processor and video card and half the cache memory.

This "comparometer" is fairly handy, take a gander.

Decisions, decisions.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It doesn't have an inferior video card, the 9 series mobile are essentially re-brands of last gen's cards with different numbering schemes and greater efficency. i.e 9500GS = 8600GT, the 9200GS may even be marginally inferior to the 8400GS, for example. Neither are remotely good for gaming, but if you can handle playing new games at low resolution and fairly low settings, you'll get by. You sure it has blu-ray? Don't see anything listed there.

All in all the Samsung would still be a better choice in my opinion.

Just looked at the 9200GS, it's actually the same as the old 8400G, which is quite rare, but even slower then the 8400GS. Forget games entirely, to be honest, apart from older ones from maybe 2006 downwards if you opt for the Compaq.

Update -thanks for the help guys, ended up buying the hp and I couldn't be happier with it. It is blue-ray and the screen is unbelievably clear. I can't complain with 3gb ram, 250 hdd and 2.0 ghz processor so all in all I think the extra 70 squids was totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

Hi, which branch of currys was it?

Does that definitely come with blu-ray? did a few searchesd and it seems like just a DVD burner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should be in every currys and pc world (as long as they have stock obviously) and it has bluray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement