Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great big pile of hedge cuttings

Options
  • 08-07-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

:(

of different species (thorns!) built up in the end of the garden.

Any ideas of how to get rid? Too wet for a bonfire and I will be dammed if I am going through it all to cut up into little pieces for the compost (got that gem from a typical know it all).

I was thinking of begging/borrowing/stealing something that will cut it all up for me?

Any ideas? I'm in Dublin and I just want it sorted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a mulching machine would see them turned into useful shreddings, if you can borrow one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are mulching/shredding/chipping all one and the same?

I am leaning towards renting one, possibly a petrol one. Does these ones make a lot of exhuast fumes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Are mulching/shredding/chipping all one and the same?

I am leaning towards renting one, possibly a petrol one. Does these ones make a lot of exhuast fumes.

A chipper/shredder is what you need - makes no more or no less exhaust fumes than any other petrol motor. You can hire or buy electric shredders but they are slow, have a very limited capacity and are forever getting bunged up.
    If fumes are a major concern, just position the machine so the fumes are blown away from you - most machines are designed so that exhaust fumes are directed away from the operator anyway.
    The bigger the machine (higher horsepower) the quicker you will get through the cuttings and you can handle larger branch sections. I am lucky enough to have a 6HP chipper/shredder which will handle branch wood up to 3" thick and will quite happily shred wet green leaves. This is the sort of machine you should look to hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Had this exact problem last week. Had a huge amount of hedges/trees. I paid a fella to take the whole lot away. In in cork so he's prob no good to you.

Long story short, he came, collected, got paid and I'm happy.

You can mulch if you want (I normally do this but there was just too much this time) but you'll have to get rid of the mulch then!! How much is there, any idea?? I has twice whats in the picture below...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I've found the number of two places, one in Cabinteely and the other in Bray. Is delivery/pick up normally included? Will I be shown how to use it safely. I'm assuming I provide the petrol and safety gear?

We've had rain and I'm wondering if I should wait until we have another dry patch and the material would be soggy now.

We have a side passage, just got to measure it and tidy it up abit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I've found the number of two places, one in Cabinteely and the other in Bray. Is delivery/pick up normally included? Will I be shown how to use it safely. I'm assuming I provide the petrol and safety gear?

We've had rain and I'm wondering if I should wait until we have another dry patch and the material would be soggy now.

We have a side passage, just got to measure it and tidy it up abit.
    The hirer is obliged to instruct you in the safe operation of the machine. Just make sure to request instruction - they often presume that people know already. You will also need your PPE - safety glasses, ear protection, dust mask and gloves.
    It would be standard practice for them to hire out the machine with its tank full of fuel but you might need to top it up and that would be at your expense. I expect they would charge for delivery.
    If the machine is like my one, (see above) then it will be able to shred the cuttings wet or dry. Ask the supplier to fit the wet shredding screen if they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have your problem, all i have done is put them in an unused, unseen corner and they are now down to one fifth of what i started off with, let nature take its course, i did an auful lot of cutting this year, never did so much all in one go, the cuttings were stacked six foot hige, i stood on top of them a few weeks after stacking them in the corner and there is little left at the moment, i intend using the pieces of wood that will be left this winter to start fire, things like these can save you lots of doh

goat2 wrote: »
    i have your problem, all i have done is put them in an unused, unseen corner and they are now down to one fifth of what i started off with, let nature take its course, i did an auful lot of cutting this year, never did so much all in one go, the cuttings were stacked six foot hige, i stood on top of them a few weeks after stacking them in the corner and there is little left at the moment, i intend using the pieces of wood that will be left this winter to start fire, things like these can save you lots of doh
    Rodent heaven:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

slowburner wrote: »
    Rodent heaven:eek:
    oh come on, there are rats everywhere, i would not be worried about that, as the hedge cuttings die down within six months and it would be easier to tidy up what is left, if we were afraid of rats, we would not go outside door, i dont and have never seen them under my cuttings, and anyway rats like stone ditches and such like

Each to their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Rats also like compost heaps ( anywhere warm and dry ).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

I had the same issue. If the cuttings are small enough it might be just as cheap to buy a shredder. You can get one in B&Q for €100 ish

Advertisement