Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Box Office

Options
  • 18-04-2001 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think I read somewhere that there is no problem connecting the digibox to an Irish phone line to order movies/matches from Sky Box Office. Has anyone done this?

We have to dial 9 to get an external line at home. I know that you can change the phone number to be dialed out using the installers menu so this should not cause any problems.

Sky make the point that if you order a movie from box office and then don't watch it then you won't be charged. If you order it using the phone, how can they tell if you have not watched it, or must the phone line be connected for this feature to work?

Happy Birthday ICDG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Shane,

I have connected the DigiBox to the phone line and it works fine. Every month you get a bill with a list of the movies watched and I have had no problems with incorrect billing etc.

I believe when you phone to book a film, they just send a signal to your digibox to decode the relevant channel for the film and you get charged whether you watch it or not.

Hi Shane I've my phone line connected as well and it works fine ! the reason why you are not charged if you don't watch it is because the movies you watch are stored on your digicard if you don't watch them they are not stored on the digicard. Also when you order a movie the box doesn't dial into sky it just checks theres a phone line present and decodes the program there's a virtual credit on the Digicard of £50, when you order a film £3 is deducted from this virtual credit and during the middle of the night sky sends a signal to the digibox via the satalite to dial into SKY when this happens sky will bill you for the films you have watched and restores the virtual credit on the digicard to £50.

SBO will not work properly when u don't have a direct outside line. I have tried many households with the same setup as u (dial 9) and have changed the settings on the digibox by adding the 9 but it doesn't work. As far as I can make out the box dials 9 but starts dialing the phone no b4 an outside line is present. Thus, when u do get the outside line, half the fone no is already dialed. I have tried to suss out if there was a button for Pause to place after 9 but cannot find any. If it does work for u let me know as it will be handy for future usage!

As Mullo stated, the box doesnt dial sky but just checks for a foneline by sensing a voltage on the input. The same can be achieved by connecting a 9V battery but when sky wanna know how much u owe there could be repercussions....

Can you not insert a delay between the 9 and the rest of the number - by inserting some other character or something? Maybe a comma or three?

I fthe time taken to get the outside line was fixed then you could insert 1's or something - enough of them so that the number starts dialling at the right time.

Maybe slightly off topic but, in my innocence, I would have connected the phone to order the movie and then disconnected straight after thinking the job was done (not wanting the phone line trailing around the house.)

What do Sky do when the box cannot phone home to deliver the billing details? Does it mean that once you order one movie you should leave the box hooked up forever?

• Advertisement

Thi system is designed for the UK viewer who will have his phoneline connected to the digibox permenantly, upon installation (they need to do this for a year to avail of the interactive discount). The installer will tack a length of cable round the skirting board etc to achieve this.

You only have £ 50 credit on the Sky Card so if you keep disconnecting the phone line when the £50 is used up no more SBO ! simple then you will have to leave the phone line connected till it dials in to Sky and you get a whopper £50 bill !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chris wiz

first have it on any channel. Press service button on the remote control then press 4, 0, 1, select, go to telephone settings go to telephone prefix and add 9 and then it should work

Advertisement