Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway between Athlone and Moate

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If the M6 extended to Clifden, another Service Centre could be justified between Oranmore and Loughrea. Anyone needing to stop between Athlone and Galway could easily jump off at Ballinasloe or Athenry. Unlike Athlone, Services are no real trek to get to in either town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Long Gone wrote: »
    Why should they be loss making ? On what basis do you believe they would make a loss ? - There is more than enough traffic on both sides for the services to be very profitable even on just fuel sales alone....

M4 which carries more traffic was a bad choice for both sided. Always very quiet when I visit either side. M6 services with at least 2 nearby rivals and lesser traffic count is a no brained for one sided. Thankfully nra saw sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

In the USA, Australia and Canada in many place they direct people into the nearest town for fuel and food and don't have dedicated motorway services. And the distances between tops there would be much bigger.
    I think that would be a much more sensible option in a small country like Ireland
    I also like the fact that in Australia they have rest areas along the highways with well maintained toilets and picnic areas (many with drinkable water)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    In the USA, Australia and Canada in many place they direct people into the nearest town for fuel and food and don't have dedicated motorway services. And the distances between tops there would be much bigger.
    I think that would be a much more sensible option in a small country like Ireland
    I also like the fact that in Australia they have rest areas along the highways with well maintained toilets and picnic areas (many with drinkable water)

All 3 examples middle towns are places with extreme poverty for hundreds of miles in the majority of the land (US has almost nothing outside of the coast). The locals think that getting a few trucks through their bypassed towns would be a good thing. Short sighted.

I think we definitely should be looking to make the motorway network as high quality as possible. Every Motorway (M3 excepted) leads to a city at either end and one should expect city-standard services en route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Looking at all the excavation work this morning, the main bulk of the work is on the left hand side if you are coming from Dublin to Athlone (on the Ballydonagh side)

Has it been confirmed that its the service station yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I found the EIS, but not the associated drawings, which would be in Volume 3:

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/eis-publications/Volume-2-Main-Report.pdf

Advertisement