Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning from job

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Please advise me. Due to an incident at work I have been suspended on full pay pending an investigation. The results of this investigation will end in me being dismissed or having my otherwise impeccable record permanently marked. My union rep has advised that if I tender my resignation immediately he can get the company to drop proceedings and furnish me with a good reference. I am for this option but if I go this line will I be able to claim benefits? I will only need benefits for the short term as I will be in employment within the next few weeks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming the disciplinary action is genuine (not a means of making you redundant or your manager is being malicious), then there is a period of a few months where you won't be entitled to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The following is taken from Citizen's Information
    Loss of employment
    You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means that you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:

•Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    •Lost your job through misconduct
    •Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    •Are aged under 55 and get a redundancy payment of more than €50,000. The exact length of your disqualification (up to nine weeks) will depend on the amount of redundancy payment you received - see below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaplah

Thanks for the info guys. Not looking good for me so. Hopefully with the good reference I'll get a new job soon otherwise i'll be pretty stuck for cash :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Best of luck
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement