Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity Holidays/Activities

• 01-06-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the news and saw an Irish climber who climbed Everest to raise funds for a school in Uganda. It reminded me of a skydiving adventure holiday brochure: "if you can't afford it why not do it for charity?".

What are people opinions on the practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

When I'm home I'm gonna do a skydive for charity, definitly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Those people aren't much better than chuggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Why should someone else pay for your holiday?
    If you want to collect for charity by all means go ahead, but forget it if your doing it for you own gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

<3 orphans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I did a skydive for charity last year. The cost of the skydive was 320 and you'd to raise a minimum of 640 if you were doing it for charity (320 to cover the jump and a minimum of 320 going to the charity). I actually paid for the jump myself and gave all the proceeds to charity. I was going to do the jump anyway, whether it was for charity or not, so it wasn't really fair to get other people to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

scoot on wrote: »
    I did a skydive for charity last year. The cost of the skydive was 320 and you'd to raise a minimum of 640 if you were doing it for charity (320 to cover the jump and a minimum of 320 going to the charity). I actually paid for the jump myself and gave all the proceeds to charity. I was going to do the jump anyway, whether it was for charity or not, so it wasn't really fair to get other people to pay for it.

That seems like a fair way to do it. Did you make it clear that you were paying for the trip when you were looking for donations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Fair play to ye Scoot On.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kowloon wrote: »
    Fair play to ye Scoot On.

+1
    Good stuff Scoot On!

I think I think I started a thread like this a few months back and got myself banned :D

I'd certainly give money doing something like a marathon, not that's a major feat which takes months of training. And I'm sure many posters might be sponsoring someone for the Womens Mini Marathon tomorrow

Sponsor somewhere to walk the Inca Trail/ Mount Kilmanjora/ Great Wall of China?
    Hmmmmm......I'd be kinda concerned my money is being spent on air fare and hotels and not charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

As far as this poster is concerned this is a growth industry.

Worse than chuggers in my opinion,at least the chuggers stay at home.

As Jackie Healy Rae might say there is no way in the wide earthly world I would sponsor some brass necked goon to climb seven peaks in seven continents or anything like that.

It's about time the public cottoned on to this shooíte and looked on these people for what they are...charity freeloaders,who want to see the world at my expense.!!!!!! GTFOOH!!!!!!

NO way Jose, Not with this baby's shekels for sure for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

jimbo78 wrote: »
    That seems like a fair way to do it. Did you make it clear that you were paying for the trip when you were looking for donations?

Yeah I made it clear from the start that I'd be paying for the skydive myself and anything donated would be going to the charity. The main reason I did that was because I think i'd be more generous myself if someone told me they were paying for it themselves so I thought i'd get more donations that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Yeah the worst part is many of the people doing the trip/activity think they are doing great things for charity. My cousin went to Ghana for several months and raised thousands, much of which paid for her flights and accomodation. She was supposed to be building homes for poor people there but in reality she had'nt skills to do much, ten local men with building skills could have been employed for several months for the cost of sending my cousin out there. The company organising it are making profit and my cousin had a great time over there and travelled around a bit and thought she was doing great things by slapping a bit of plaster on the walls of shacks being built.
    Another friend got to go the niagra falls in Canada/USA by raising several grand from friends. His employer who is a well known company paid half of the cost and he had to raise the other half. He spent a few hours a day for a week walking around the entire niagra falls area. The trip sounded like a great holiday and cost him nothing and he even met his girlfriend on the trip. Some of the money raised went to an Irish charity but I'd say two thirds went to company organising the trip and for flights accomodation etc.
    People use the guise of charity to go on these great trips and it costs them feck all and charity does'nt get that much of the funds raised.
    Give money directly to your favorite charities and not these chancers out for a cool trip at low cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Someone I know went over to Africa a while back to work in an orphanage. From what I can gather, the group of them managed to paint the outside of the building and didn't do a whole lot else while they were there. Great way to spend about €10,000 - which incidentally would have paid for an army of workers to build a new orphanage or would have probably fed the kids for the year.

On the plus side, great scenery and nice tans for all :rolleyes:

Advertisement