Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIS application help.

• 12-10-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭

I am trying to apply for FIS and I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help.

At the moment we can apply and will be awarded €20 per week, which would be a great help. We are a couple with 1 child, I work 25 hrs per week and my partner is on BTEA in collage.

I take it I apply as I am working, not my partner?

In the application, it does not give a space for a SW payment for my partner, just employment, do I just leave the employment bit blank and enclose proof of his payment?

Also, in January, we will have 2 children, would I be able to leave applying until then and apply while I'm on maternity or do I have to wait until I'm back in employment in June?

With the delay in processing it is tempting to wait as I will probably still be eligible for FIS for a few months after maternity while I try sort out full time employment and creche for 2 kids.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes you should apply

number 56 and 57 bottom of page twelve.

dont know

You might be better off waiting FIS is payed for 12 months at the rate set at the time of application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

While on mat benefit you technically will not be working so FIS will not be applicable to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks for reply, looks like I'll try the phone line again tomorrow,to see If I can apply while on maternity leave.

I dont think we could survive till next June without anything extra.

I tried the Citizens Information, they didnt know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I am trying to apply for FIS and I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help.

At the moment we can apply and will be awarded €20 per week, which would be a great help. We are a couple with 1 child, I work 25 hrs per week and my partner is on BTEA in collage.

I take it I apply as I am working, not my partner?
    Yes the claim will be in your name
    In the application, it does not give a space for a SW payment for my partner, just employment, do I just leave the employment bit blank and enclose proof of his payment?
    They will have access to your partners details so will know he is on BTEA but there should be a section asking about any other payments so you can mention it there.
    They will also want to know if your partner is recieving a maintenance grant to attend college.

Also, in January, we will have 2 children, would I be able to leave applying until then and apply while I'm on maternity or do I have to wait until I'm back in employment in June?
    Apply now,FIS is awarded from the first thursday after receipt of application and when you have the baby call them or write to them to notify them of 2nd child and they will add them to the claim.

With the delay in processing it is tempting to wait as I will probably still be eligible for FIS for a few months after maternity while I try sort out full time employment and creche for 2 kids.
    eastbono wrote: »
    While on mat benefit you technically will not be working so FIS will not be applicable to you.
    That is incorrect Mat Benefit is looked upon as employment for FIS purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

ou should apply now

there should be a place for his sw payment i put mine on my partners and sent in a payment slip

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks for all the answers. I'll get onto to that straight away.

Still didnt get through on the phones, would be lost without the quick replys. Thanks Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Apply now. When you register your new baby's birth, you will be issued with a PPS number for him/her within a few days. At that stage, write a letter to FIS informing them of the birth and stating the baby's PPS number and they will adjust your payment from the date of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

eastbono wrote: »

Hi, not to to be picking on you but this is not true.

I almost didn't apply after being told in the local social welfare office that I wouldn't receive the payment but I rang FIS and they said apply away. The local office were extremely unhelpful and looking down their noses when I asked about applying when on maternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, not to to be picking on you but this is not true.

I almost didn't apply after being told in the local social welfare office that I wouldn't receive the payment but I rang FIS and they said apply away. The local office were extremely unhelpful and looking down their noses when I asked about applying when on maternity.

This is correct, you can apply for FIS while on Maternity Benefit. Legally speaking you are still working (albeit on Maternity Leave) while on Maternity Benefit.

If you apply while on Mat 26 weeks average of MAT and work are used to calculate your income.You must have been in employment before MAT started.

• Advertisement

Right, filled out the form, got work to fill it out but now it looks like my partner got the fuel allowance, so now we are over €509 per week, by €5.

Does fuel allowance count as income?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Right, filled out the form, got work to fill it out but now it looks like my partner got the fuel allowance, so now we are over €509 per week, by €5.

Does fuel allowance count as income?

fuel allowance isnt counted as income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If fis stops in summer holidays due to working in a school but not up till october do I need a new application form

Advertisement