Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI contributions

Options
  • 27-10-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hello

Just a quick question not sure if I understand the way PRSI works.
    For example: say Ive claimed Job seekers benefit for the maximum of 12 months.

Do the 12 months that I claimed get deducted from my total PRSI contributions and thus affect any future applications for social welfare payments ?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If you have been in receipt of JSB for 12mths and at the end of this time have failed to secure employment then you are entitled to apply for JSA - allowance which is means tested

JSB is related to the PRSI contributions you paid in the previous taxable year once you have been on JSB for 12mths your PRSI contributions run out that is why you then get means tested

You dont pay PRSI and it keeps going and going and going until it runs out it is just based on the 52 insurable weeks in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I have a question that i am a bit confused.

I was on JSB for about 4 months this year from May to Sept. I understand that it was from the PRSI contributions the previous year. I worked until Aug of 2010.

I will be finished college next may and just in case i dont get work i may have to apply for the dole. But i have not worked in 2011. But i have read something about them going back two years. Two years ago i was working, so what will i be applying for next may? Will it be JSB or JSA. Im only asking cause it didn't take long for my claim to be processed with JSB and i would like the same again instead of waiting weeks as you would with JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Hello

Just a quick question not sure if I understand the way PRSI works.
    For example: say Ive claimed Job seekers benefit for the maximum of 12 months.

Do the 12 months that I claimed get deducted from my total PRSI contributions and thus affect any future applications for social welfare payments ?

Thank you

JSB as said above is always based on the contributions you paid in the previous year prior to claim.

If used up as you say they will still be reckonable as regards the State Pension in particular and probably Invalidity Pension etc but others might confirm this.

After using up your entitlement to JSB in order to re qualify for JSB you will need a minimum of 13 paid contributions, in other words 13 wks of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I have a question that i am a bit confused.

I was on JSB for about 4 months this year from May to Sept. I understand that it was from the PRSI contributions the previous year. I worked until Aug of 2010.

I will be finished college next may and just in case i dont get work i may have to apply for the dole. But i have not worked in 2011. But i have read something about them going back two years. Two years ago i was working, so what will i be applying for next may? Will it be JSB or JSA. Im only asking cause it didn't take long for my claim to be processed with JSB and i would like the same again instead of waiting weeks as you would with JSA.

Sorry I should edit my post because it is based on contributions two years ago and not the previous taxable year so therefore if you have 13 insurable weeks from two years prior to when you need to sign on then you should be entitled to JSB which should be be more of less immediately implemented

Advertisement