Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank Holidays

• 26-10-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I'm currently on casual workers where I fill in the dockets each week. I was on this last year and had some trouble with the social welfare not paying me for bank holidays, even though I wasn't working or getting paid by my employer.

Currently I'm working two days a week, approx. 10 hours. Will they automatically deduct this bank holiday from me? My job doesn't open on Bank Holidays so I won't be working, or paid by them. Can I ring the social welfare office to tell them this? If I do will they pay me for the bank holiday?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.
    Employees who qualify will be entitled to either the public holiday off as paid leave or one of the following alternatives:
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off
    The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

As above, if you have been working 40 hours in the past 5 weeks, then you ARE entitled to be paid.

If you would normally be working on the bank holiday, then you are entitled to your normal day's pay. If you would not normally be working on the holiday, you're entitled to 1/5 of your weekly wage!

If you are entitled to anything for the bank holiday, you won't get a social welfare payment for that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Sorry to jump in here didnt want to start a new bank holiday thread.

Just wondered are you entitled to pay if the company you work for dont open on mondays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

danois wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here didnt want to start a new bank holiday thread.

Just wondered are you entitled to pay if the company you work for dont open on mondays?

See above. If you don't normally work on the holiday concerned, then you're entitled to 1/5 of your normal weekly pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Just to be doubly clear, it is your employer who must pay any monies owed for public holidays, not SW.
    You cannot get any Jobseekers payment for a public holidays because, like sundays, you are not considered to be "looking for work" on a public holiday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement