Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

removing next of kin?

• 28-09-2010 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi i hope this is the right place to post this basically i am 22 and cut off all contact with my family over 4 years because i couldn't stand them any longer. I don't even live in the same county as them anymore.
    Anyways I was reading that a person's parents are their next of kin and i am wondering is there a legal way to change this so that they have absolutely nothing to do with my life?
    Any feed-back is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would be surprised if this was possible as family is still family. Ultimately the first question is - if your family are not to be your next-of-kin, then who is?

If you have someone in mind (a partner or close friend), then I am sure you could make a formal legal document assigning them as your formal "next-of-kin" in the event that you're incapacitated. While there would no doubt be disagreements about it around your hospital bed, a formal legal document will very quickly end those disagreements.

You can also make a will formally expressing what you want to happen to your possesions in the event of your death - since you have no wife or children (presumably) then you have no obligation to leave anything to your family. If you die without a will, your possessions automatically pass back to your parents.

Outside of death or serious injury, the concept of "next-of-kin" is largely irrelevant, but if you're really serious about it, no harm to speak to a solicitor about getting formal declarations/affidavits drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

or get married then your wife/husband would be your next of kin and not your family members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 durrrr

thanks for the advice seamus you're right i am not married nor have i any children. with regards to a will i am renting an apartment and have no goods of any great value so thats not really an issue.
    My main concern is that if i were to end up in hospital is there a way to prevent them from contacting my next of kin i.e. my parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Give them some other persons name as next of kin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 durrrr

Haddockman wrote: »
    Give them some other persons name as next of kin.

but what if i was in-capacitated or unable to speak for myself? I mean thats why the reason they contact them, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed. The hospital would probably ask the likes of the Gardaí etc to find out who your next of kin are.

Whenever I was going into hospital before I was married I always gave the girlfriend as next of kin. Nobody ever had a problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an interesting one alright; clearly there's no official register of "next of kin". The Gardai most likely check their own records or contact the HSE, perhaps.

Basic things you can do are to keep a card in your wallet listing the names of those you would consider your next of kin, and a number in your phone titled "ICE" or "In case of Emergency".

Outside of that, maybe contact the HSE - somewhere there's a record with your PPSN, family details and medical details. I imagine it's possible to specify an emergency contact in that record?

There's also an emergency services forum here with plenty of Gardai, firemen and paramedics posting - maybe ask there how they find out who a person's next-of-kin is?

You're young, so as you say you don't have much to your name, but it never hurts to make a plan. The few hundred euro in your bank account could make a big difference to a charity or a good friend. Employers often also have in-employment death benefit schemes - enquire with your HR department about updating the person who will receive any money in the event of your death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

It's likely the gardai would contact your original family if something happened you, got forbid a fatal traffic accident, I could imagine joe duffy having a field day talking to next of kin who were never contacted by gardai in such a case, the fact that you did not want them contacted would never be brought up I'm fairly sure given joes selective method of journalism, If you were married it definately be your partner that would be contacted, major decisions may have to be made and in the absence of anyone else state Agencies would look to next of kin (your family).

Advertisement