Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No regional sport on text?

Options
  • 28-08-2004 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

The place where I work has 12 digiboxes,11 of them pace & 1 panaconic the latest model.When you try the text & select regional sport it says this service is unavailable at the moment.Is there any way of disabling this as there is hardly the same problem with all the boxes.Two of them are used for the BBC,3 have english subs,4 have Irish subs & the rest have sky sports subs.Any sugestions as to what could be wrong? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You didn't say what channel you were having the problems on.

Is it the BBC? (working for me so I'd look at your dish)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Yes sceptre the problem is with the BBC channels.The 12 decodres are worked off an 80cm dish with a quad lnb.Most of the boxes have 60% signal quality & 40-50% signal strength.

BTW.I forgot to say that I worked on a ship.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are you referring to standard teletext (BBC Ceefax) or interactive digital text (BBCi)? If it's standard text, BBC shut down most if not all Ceefax services on digital TV.

If it's BBCi, does regional stuff work without a viewing card?

Byte,
    I am refeering to interactive digital text,not the normal ceefax stuff.I have 2 digiboxes at home here and both work fine with or without a card in them.

SPAWKER wrote:
    BTW.I forgot to say that I worked on a ship.
    A moving ship? (I'm just being nosey)

Right, here's the possible problem as someone of my limited knowledge sees it.

The BBC run interactive streams/BBCi on two satellites: Astra 2B and 2D. The regional sport is on one of these (I don't know which one) and for whatever reason you're not receiving anything from either one of these satellites or a particular transponder on one of these satellites (or one of the beams from Astra 2B).

Let's take each of these in turn.
    • Can you receive Sky News? If you can, there's probably no problem with the 2B south beam - to eliminate this completely as the possible problem, try adding BBC Radio 2 to your Other Channels (12.441 V 27.5 2/3) There's a BBCR2 listed on your Sky box but AFAIK this uses an Astra 2D transponder so actually add this one in Add Channels or else you haven't tested this. Then see if you can receive the channel.
    • With regard to 2D, BBCi is spread out all over the place. Can you receive BBC3/News24/BBC1NI? (any of these will do, just make sure it's BBC1NI rather than any of the other variations) (BBC1NI on your Irish sub box @ ch 169 or on your UK sub box @ ch 943)
    • How about BBC2NI? (not the London variety) (check on Irish sub box on ch 170 or on UK sub box @ ch 962)
    • Now let's try adding BBC Parliament (10.847 V 22.0 5/6) (or checking your UK sub box @ ch 508). Try watching it. Got piccies and sound?

I suppose you could just skip a few steps and get your dish/LNB looked at but as it's a work dish, if you know exactly what the problem is it'll be easier to make up a plausible story to get it looked at.

• Advertisement

sceptre,
    Yes I can receive sky news,& BBC2 Ni also BBC1 Ni on 101 & 102 on the english subs & also on the Irish subs.BBC3 & BBC radio 2 are tuned in on other channels in the messroom along with BBC parliment.So I dont know what the problem can be.Picture quality no problem on any channels.

Well, after getting you to check all those, I'm flat out of suggestions I'm afraid.

A well thanks for your help anyway,will just have to do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Did you try switching off all boxes except one and trying that. I have a quad feeding 3 receivers and found Reality TV was effected by one of the receivers being on a certain channel.
    I know this is not a viable solution but it would be interesting to see if it worked!!!
    Let us know if it works!!!!
    BTW I suppose you are using a diplexer and Quatro LNB!!!

greenman,its a quad lnb fed into a diplexer.The only time that it would be viable to switch off all the boxes except one would be when the ship is in drydock or if we were tied up because of bad weather.So will have to wait till the winter to try this.

• Advertisement

SPAWKER wrote:
    greenman,its a quad lnb fed into a diplexer.The only time that it would be viable to switch off all the boxes except one would be when the ship is in drydock or if we were tied up because of bad weather.So will have to wait till the winter to try this.

Very interesting Spawker re ship and dry dock!!!
    Re the LNB well I always thought that a Quatro LNB was used in conjunction with a Diplexer and not a Quad LNB.
    Is the ship a moving ship and if so how dose it track the satellite??
    Fair sailing!!! ;););)

greenman,the satellite dish is connected to a computer which in turn is connected to a gyro compass"which is an electronic compass"which tracks the satellite no matter how much the ship rolls or moves.

SPAWKER wrote:
    greenman,the satellite dish is connected to a computer which in turn is connected to a gyro compass"which is an electronic compass"which tracks the satellite no matter how much the ship rolls or moves.

Thanks for that and happy sailing ;););)

Advertisement