Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Game - If Israel hit Iran

Options
  • 04-11-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Canada Free Press

" The Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) held a war game (simulation) focusing on the first 48 hours after an Israeli aerial attack on Iran’s nuclear infrastructures.

The Scenario
    After midnight on November 9, al-Jazeera reports that Israeli airplanes have attacked Iran’s nuclear facilities in three waves of attack. As reports multiply, Israel officially announces it has attacked Iran’s nuclear sites because it had no other choice. "

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/50813

ps
    I got this in my inbox and nearly fainted haha... interesting piece though
    .. my main issue with it is that it doesn't detail what damage if any was caused by the 2 rounds of Shahab missiles raining down on Israeli targets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Canada Free Press

" The Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) held a war game (simulation) focusing on the first 48 hours after an Israeli aerial attack on Iran’s nuclear infrastructures.

The Scenario
    After midnight on November 9, al-Jazeera reports that Israeli airplanes have attacked Iran’s nuclear facilities in three waves of attack. As reports multiply, Israel officially announces it has attacked Iran’s nuclear sites because it had no other choice. "

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/50813

ps
    I got this in my inbox and nearly fainted haha... interesting piece though
    .. my main issue with it is that it doesn't detail what damage if any was caused by the 2 rounds of Shahab missiles raining down on Israeli targets

I'd probably faint seeing that too :pac:

It depends what their payload is (+\-300KG of H.E. or Gas),I'd reckon the Iron Dome might catch them though.
    I always think the main fighting would be through proxy, with Hezbollah releasing an almighty barrage on Israel (with an emphasis on Tel Aviv IMO) and Israel responding in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was watching dispatches tonight and they covered Israel war games and they really underestimated what would happen. They basically think there's no danger from Iran

I think the Israelis are aware of their capabilities and their limitations.
    IMO,nothing will happen without "heavy-duty" air support,like American B-2 "Spirits" and assorted tankers.
    While Israeli F-15 "Ra'ams" are certainly capable, they haven't got the "loiter" of true bombers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Hilarious Channel 4 propaganda piece. Israel bombs Iran then goes home for dinner after a job well done, no consequences. Maybe its the first in a series, with the second show being about what happens when an MRBM with a high-explosive penetrator warhead hits a nuclear weapons facility in a Country with as small as Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

which Channel 4 piece? was there one on? Or are ya sayin the war game thing seems to be totally unrealistic with little or no consequences for Israel is they hit the sites? then yes I agree the war game above seems to paint an unrealistic picture... what about all the rockets from Hezbollah? Surely the Israeli defense systems couldn't cope with hundreds of rockets raining down?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Oh, there was a programme on Channel 4 almost identical on Monday. It should be on 4OD. Hilarious, Iran was compared with Iraq, 1980. Iran, see, is so impotent and weak-willed that when Israel, superpower, bombs their nuclear faciltities creating a multi-tiered Chernobyl, Iran will do nothing.

Iran's response will be immediate, they'll wreck Dimona and Israel's bio-weapons facilities which will do more damage comparatively since Iran can endure more damage per square mile than Israel can. Israel's air defence is over-rated garbage like most Western air defence. No match for Iran's ballistic missiles or Hezbullah's short-range thermobaric missiles.

Too late to hit Iran, they're too strong now.

I'll check it out hope I can find it.

Yeah I pretty much agree that it is too late to do a stupid thing like hit Iran's nuclear sites for a whole host of reasons.

But as I say I think there is no evidence that says Iran is goin directly for the bomb right now.

The piece below cannot be brushed aside no matter how you feel about Amonpour... personally I think CNN suck ass but Amonpour can be very good, and helpful... just like Zakaria and believe it or not even old Charlie Rose from time to time... once there's any intelligent debate about the issues which get so muddled by the press such as the whole Iran thing then it helps and I welcome it. I would say if you carried out a poll of 100,000 random American adults which asked 'Do you beleive Iran is trying hard to develop nuclear weapons right now yes/no?' you'd get at least 70% saying yes yet if you added a second question asking 'why do you believe this?' most wouldn't have a fukin clue why they think that and the truth is that there is fuk all evidence that they are going for the bomb and it's purely the crappy media that has everyone thinking it.. I'm not saying that there isn't a physical opportunity for Iran to go for the bomb in the future... I'm saying there is NO evidence they are going for it right now nor have they shown that they wish to have the bomb in the future.

just watch this piece... clear the mind of all the crap you've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

Will not very scientific it is certainly interesting reading.....

http://wartard.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-favourite-war-that-hasnt-happened.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Oh, there was a programme on Channel 4 almost identical on Monday. It should be on 4OD. Hilarious, Iran was compared with Iraq, 1980. Iran, see, is so impotent and weak-willed that when Israel, superpower, bombs their nuclear faciltities creating a multi-tiered Chernobyl, Iran will do nothing.

Iran's response will be immediate, they'll wreck Dimona and Israel's bio-weapons facilities which will do more damage comparatively since Iran can endure more damage per square mile than Israel can. Israel's air defence is over-rated garbage like most Western air defence. No match for Iran's ballistic missiles or Hezbullah's short-range thermobaric missiles.

Too late to hit Iran, they're too strong now.

I was going to respond to you but on reading your second paragraph I can see its pointless to argue with someone that comes out with fanciful guff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'll check it out hope I can find it.

Yeah I pretty much agree that it is too late to do a stupid thing like hit Iran's nuclear sites for a whole host of reasons.

But as I say I think there is no evidence that says Iran is goin directly for the bomb right now.

There are several reasons why an Israel attack on Iran's nuclear facilities would be extremely difficult if not unlikely.

The first is that in order to effectively bomb all of Iran's nuclear facilities plus suppress Irans radar and AA missile sites plus suppress Iran's fighter defences AND provide top cover would probably need just about every F-15 and F-16 that Israel possesses.

Second, even if they did muster all those planes, they'd need meticulous planning and flawless execution to get them all over the targets at the right times. Otherwise it could be a disaster. If Israel launched an attack like this and didn't get effective results then that would give Iran the green light to press on with their efforts. The threat of an attack could well be far more effective than an actual attack.

Third, even if the attacks went perfectly the planes still have to be refuelled to get back. It wouldn't do to have F-16's dropping out of the sky over Saudi or Turkey (depending on which route they took). Israel has a fleet of rather elderly Boeing 707 tankers but whether they'd risk them is another issue. Azerbaijan would be a possible place for Israeli planes to land and refuel but would the Azeri's risk a possible confrontation with Iran?

Those are the major risks imo. Iran's ability to hit back would probably be effected by Israel attacks on command and control facilities. Plus Israel is the world leader in anti-ballistic missile technology, most of Israel (including Dimona) is covered by Arrow anti-ballistic missile batteries.

Hezbollah is probably at its weakest at the moment with its partner Syria undergoing a revolution and the spread of that conflict to Lebanon. There are Iron Dome batteries covering the Lebanon and Gaza borders and while it would be impossible for them to take down every missile, the thing is that they simply don't have to. They only have to shoot down those missiles that would be likely to hit civilian areas.

Also if Hezbollah do get shooty, the IDF ran extensive exercises in 2010 and 2011 to engage Hezbollah in a ground war. The mistakes made and deficiencies found in the 2006 attack on Hezbollah in Lebanon have been acknowledged by the IDF and should have been tackled at this stage.

I hope Israel doesn't actually carry out an attack, the last thing the world economy needs is an oil shock brought on by a middle east conflict.

• Advertisement

Very well said Blaas.

100% agree with all of that.

and there's a report by Brookings which meticulously expands and extrapolates the issues raised by your post that make Israels strikes so difficult to do. It's called Which Path to Persia, below

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2009/6/iran%20strategy/06_iran_strategy

I've posted extensively on that before I'm not going to do it again but personally I think I've changed my mind slightly after learning and reading more. I agree that Israel is absolutely incapable of hitting ALL the targets and stopping the further development of nuclear technologies within ran. That is clear as day to me now that I understand the limitations Israel face in doing the strikes.... too many sorties, too few tankers, incorrect ordnance, flight paths, intelligence gaps and then obviously retaliation dynamics.

However, Israel are very capable and COULD halt MUCH of what Iran is developing (personally I don't actually think Iran is going for a bomb right now.. as it stands) and certainly in damaging a few large sites with large bombs Israel would definitely delay the current nuclear technology development happening within Iran right now... by... well nobody has a feckin clue nor could they possibly... but it would be more than months... and likely less than 5 years. AND as people have said many times such a strike COULD FORCE/HIGHLY MOTIVATE Iran to head straight for the bomb, do not pass go, in a bigger way then they are 'feared' to be in the first place and that would just be so utterly counter productive it's laughable... ahem sort of.

The VERY FIRST reason for NOT doing the strikes however at this pint with all that is going on in the middle east is simply that striking Iran is potentially so fukin stupidly dangerous it could set into motion so many variables that nothing is impossible right up to and including all-out regional war between many parties so here's hopin that fukin grinning foooool - Netanyahu... is kept on a leash by his 'supposedly' 'dissenting' Ex-Mossad and Military calmer heads! of which there are a few.

Somebody should sedate him, hood and gag him and put him in a closet for a few years til this thing calms down and progress is made on the diplomatic front. Himself and Ahmadinejad are like matches in a dry forest. They both need a power-hose to the face! ..ahem figuratively speaking of course. Aging Ideologues are soooo dangerous... I've always said it. Saying that, older politicians can also be very brave and face the system down because they fear repercussions less.

Anyway yeah Israel would find it hard to do an extensive strike ... or even one worth doing... and the risks are too great. Luckily, Iran AND Israel are actually and should be deemed to be for the purpose of international relations and potential military action - both - RATIONAL PLAYERS so... a bit of faith AND take rhetoric with a few grains of salt and this thing won't kick off like our sadistic Hollywood conditioned minds kinda wish it did in a way... ahem... or maybe that's just me sometimes ; )

Just imagine what would happen to Oil price. Impossible to predict but based on previous spikes and their causes - I'd say experts would be saying anything up to 200% increase is possible... not that it would be dependent on the actual gulf situation where 30% of oil ships through each day .... because the oil market is interwoven everywhere around the world in the same way and what happens somewhere ripples violently everywhere, as yee all know.. I'm just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

haha yeah that about sums it up.....

pawns, proxies, political bullsh1t, game theory, brinkmanship, lies, predictions, propaganda, ideologies, religion, economic warfare and a bunch of what are they called again.... yes...civilians... in the middle of it all just trying to get on with their lives.

Real World War Games. We act like we literally have no recollection of the world wars... and I suppose we don't... apparently we need to see the show up close as reading about it in books seems not to be adequate, the way we're acting.

See with me personally I thought I knew what was rhetoric and hot air and 'shapes' ... ya know when politicians say sh1t just ya know as part of the games they play... and in reality foreign policy is not easily swayed and rationality usually wins the day... and there are so many mechanism and institutions which disallow chaotic unraveling into international war... that's how I used to think. But then sadly... the ****in lunacy of the likes of Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz, Perle, Abrams, Armitage and Rumsfeld belched its way out of life's asshole and were.... somehow... in some weird drug induced day-trip from sanity... were listened to, given endless power and influence and clicked their fingers and next thing ya know the US army is invading the sovereign state of Iraq - 7000 miles from home in their hundreds of thousands LIVE on TV 24/7 destroying thousands upon thousands of Iraqi civilians (not on purpose though so that's ok)... so I kinda don't feel as cool about Netanyahu-type rhetoric as I once would have. At least the neocon types were discovered... and outed and explained to the world for what they are and want and did so it makes it hopefully (fingers crossed) a lot harder to dupe everyone in Washington into doing MENTAL CRAZY SH1T.... like invading Iraq, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If the Israeli state initiates a war with Iran it becomes a pariah state overnight, tanks the fragile economies of the west, risks turning the US public against it, and stokes prejudice against Jews across the globe.

Thinking Israelis know this. I'd say the chances of a war with Iran are slim.

If the Israeli state initiates a war with Iran it becomes a pariah state overnight, tanks the fragile economies of the west, risks turning the US public against it, and stokes prejudice against Jews across the globe.

Thinking Israelis know this. I'd say the chances of a war with Iran are slim.
    If America were to give full support along with a decent military committment from other nations I'd start to worry,till then it's Gunna stay "what if" scenario.

'Sunday Times' report says Iran's nuke site hidden safe from conventional airstrikes; Israel left with nuclear, ground options.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=291295

The story goes that now they think the site they most want to hit is too deep and cannot be damaged enough from the air with conventional ordnance and so the thinking is that it's not worth doing given the risks and predicted reward.

This is a major leak if it's true... if it's true.

Israel are never under any circumstances going to hit Iranian nuclear sites with a tactical nuke nor are they, under any circumstances at all, going to go in on the ground to destroy the sites.

I'm personally delighted with this development, leak, news, whatever you want to call it... IF it is true.

It basically means the risk of war has been reduced to almost zero.

I'll be reading all I can into this to see if this information can be trusted. I think I smell a hint of 'saving Face' politics beneath this though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I believe this may be unfounded, there was a plan in the public domain there a while back that the Israelis planned to use a number of Direct Hard Target Strike Weapon's, launched in sequence which would strike the same location consecutively minutes apart, allowing them to drill down deep enough to damage the facility?

well then it seems there is conflicting information out there being reported by serious journalists... what a surprise : )

As far as I know Israel has not got the 'most powerful' hardened target strike weapons available (only from the US) and the US has been actively denying them those weapons. They have got lower tier bombs they can drop as you say was reported 'in sequence' and that might do the job alright but I'd need to read up more on the depth of concrete hardened structures these Israeli weapons can destroy. I would think myself that anything over 12m to be unlikely. Based on the reports I've read so far by various think tanks in the US which were written by ex-military generals etc I would think that they would've factored in Israeli's hard target capability into their conclusions which over and over again seem to be 'they could destroy some of some of the targets but nowhere near putting Iran back more than a couple or three years at best. Not that that conclusion completely rules out Israels capability to hit deep hardened targets effectively I suppose as there are many other factors at play here, fueling and sheer numbers of aircraft being just a couple.

Morpheus wrote: »
    I believe this may be unfounded, there was a plan in the public domain there a while back that the Israelis planned to use a number of Direct Hard Target Strike Weapon's, launched in sequence which would strike the same location consecutively minutes apart, allowing them to drill down deep enough to damage the facility?

right so after a bit of checking it seems that Israel has 55 GBU-28 bombs which they received form the US in 2009.... although there seems to be some drama about the fusing... which Israel is working on. Anyway those bad boys can get down through 20 feet of concrete according to available test data which isn't bad.

But I don't think 20 feet does it. Certainly not deep enough to cross off specific sites for sure so begs the question why bother? .. unless as you say they plan on doing a perfectly calculated sequence of repeated hits... that aughta do it alright but man you'd need to get that right... and the remember the second and third guys comin in are going to be under severe pressure and would need to drop from a decent altitude to stay outa reach which I assume increases difficulty. Anyway I can see some guys arguing a plan to use these 55 bombs on a few hardened sites but not as easily as if they had this bad boy, which is just MENTAL! check it out

That would deffo do the job but alas the US hasn't made many of these and certainly hasn't handed over or plans to hand over any MOPs to Netanyahu.

Plus what plane has Israel got that could carry a couple of MOPs anyway? I mean the Spirit can only take 2 (which is impressive enough).

Interesting, the more ya learn about these weapons and planes the more a picture forms in your head of how the US would theoretically hit a half dozen deep Iranian nuclear sites. It seems they would use B2 Stealth bombers carrying a couple of MOPs each... but you'd need to be sure you got the job done so you'd need at least a half dozen B2's operating in one quick high altitude perfectly targeted and sequenced sortie and assuming these bombs have inaccuracy of say 25 feet around bulls eye it would all have to go off without a hitch and to maintain pilot safety you'd want to keep em over 10,000 feet minimum and they'd need to be supported by Raptors flying off carriers in the Gulf. US only has 15 or so operational B2 Stealths (who can blame them at $2 billion per plane!)

And remember you gotta hit multiple targets/tunnel entrances etc at BOTH Fordow AND Natanz to achieve your primary goals of delaying enrichment by years.

Best data I can find on Fordow says it's down 260 feet beneath the ground/Mt with an unknown quantity of concrete reinforcement. That seems to suggest (if true) that only the most creative use of repeated sequenced GBU-28 hits could do enough damage to close up shop for years but it's a complex situation and needs more good data and thinking about. I'm 100% sure that Israel would not go in on the ground under any circumstances NOR would they use a B61-11 NUCLEAR EARTHPENETRATING WEAPON (or variant thereof) so this whole thing is an air-strike or nothing at all.... and it's severely smelling of nothing at all right now unless you got some other data that says they could do it and it would be worth trying... I'm only looking for other perspectives. I clearly don't want Israel to do a dam thing but I'm open to opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

they'd need to be supported by Raptors flying off carriers in the Gulf.

Good luck with that!

right hahaha got it : )))

well either way F-22s would be the best choice of support whether they need to fly from somewhere else and mid air refuel twice or not : )

There has been talk in the US and Israel and the media about the possibility of using nukes on the Iran sites. Here's why that very prob wont/shouldn't ever happen.

Advertisement