Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish NCO

Options
  • 13-11-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im new to boards so Im not sure if I posted this in the right place :-/

Basically I was wondering how to become an NCO in Ireland, I was thinking of trying for a cadetship or the FFL but I think I would prefer this !

Could anybody tell me some of the general info ?

What is the pay like ?
    How long does it take to become an NCO ?
    What are the lowest and highest rank ?
    And what are the pros and cons in general ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

LeeQuil wrote: »

Basically I was wondering how to become an NCO in Ireland, I was thinking of trying for a cadetship or the FFL but I think I would prefer this !

What is the pay like ?

You join as a recruit and work your way up to a maximum rank off sergeant major, or you join as a recruit and work your way up to lieutenant general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LeeQuil

source wrote: »

You join as a recruit and work your way up to a maximum rank off sergeant major, or you join as a recruit and work your way up to lieutenant general.

So u can get all the way up to Lt.Gen without a cadetship ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

In theory, yes, but I meant to have the second example as cadet to lieutenant general.

In theory, yes, but I meant to have the second example as cadet to lieutenant general.

Oh fair enough, thank you very much !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No, that is incorrect.

Not a chance of that hapenning. Lt Col would be the max and that is a rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

worry about getting in first before ya even begin to think about becoming a NCO!
    whats the story in the irish army anyway in getting put on a promotion course, in regards having not done a tour? I assume only it's nearly a requirement, although obvisiouly it wouldn'y be.

benwavner wrote: »

No, that is incorrect.

Not a chance of that hapenning. Lt Col would be the max and that is a rarity.

I dont mind once there is a chance but does anybody know what I would have to do to become an NCO and how long I would have to be in the army before becoming one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What is the pay like ?

Are you actually Irish?

tac

tac foley wrote: »

Are you actually Irish?

tac

Yes I am.
    Are u ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yes I am.
    Are u ?

Only 3/4 Irish from my parents, but I HAVE been an NCO and officer in an army close to Ireland, and can recognise a mong/wah/bone question when I see one.

I'll let the real Irish posters carry on from here, as I have nothing more to add.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Careful now, stick to the topic at hand.

look up www.military.ie

pay is there as is information about the defence forces.

ranks go from Corporal to Bn/Regimental Sgt Maj.

pros - learning the art of being responsible for others and the running of a section as well as your role within the wider scheme of things is a HUGE leap from wondering when and where your next meal is coming from.

Cons - lists, lists and more lists - i hate lists, yet NCO's live and die by them.

could take anywhere up to 5 years from recruit - 2 - 3 star - assignment to a unit - finishing corps specific training - overseas mission - completing a Potential NCO course (also known as a PNCOs or POTs course) - awaiting a position to become available - being accepted for promotion, RO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

What is the pay like ?

You'll want to tell your recruit NCOs early on that you want to put your name down for becoming an NCO or officer.

I hear the waiting list's murderous if you don't get in early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Cadetships are ridiculously tough, last year When I applied,

4000 applicants for 21 jobs.

Im not sure I would like a cadetship anyway pal, I have been told that it eventually becomes very 'desk job' like !

tac foley wrote: »

Only 3/4 Irish from my parents, but I HAVE been an NCO and officer in an army close to Ireland, and can recognise a mong/wah/bone question when I see one.

I'll let the real Irish posters carry on from here, as I have nothing more to add.

tac

What are ya even talking about u absolute troll.

Thanks everyone for the great replies, I think that might be a good goal to set.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]Consider this the final warning on this thread, we are not here to discuss someones country of origin or ancestry, nor should that matter, stick to the topic at hand - NCO's. [/MOD]

Advertisement