Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show me your house and how much it cost to build

Options
  • 13-07-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really. Trying to figure out about the cost of building a house, and it is a bit of an information quagmire out there. So, how about asking in reverse?

Show me your house (plans) and:

* How many bedrooms
    * Floor area
    * internal structure (timber frame, solid walls, etc.)
    * External finish (single leaf/timber frame, solid/insulated, etc.)

and any other bits (service connections, solicitor, plans, etc), then how much it cost to build. Leave out the site.

If this was asked before, point me in the right direction!

Seanie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Seanie M wrote: »
    Title says it all really. Trying to figure out about the cost of building a house, and it is a bit of an information quagmire out there. So, how about asking in reverse?

Show me your house (plans) and:

* How many bedrooms
    * Floor area
    * internal structure (timber frame, solid walls, etc.)
    * External finish (single leaf/timber frame, solid/insulated, etc.)

and any other bits (service connections, solicitor, plans, etc), then how much it cost to build. Leave out the site.

If this was asked before, point me in the right direction!

Seanie.

If you're in Offally, the simplest way to work this out is get the Floor area of your house and multiply it by €1300 and you will get the ex VAT price.
    On top of that add in carpets, site costs, a garage cost if required and all your fees, statutory and non statutory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Show me your house

You for real.?

Its not an info quagmire, its pure laziness and cheap-skate-ness.

Budget 2,000 euro a sq metre and you wont go wrong

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Show me your house

You for real.?

Its not an info quagmire, its pure laziness and cheap-skate-ness.

Budget 2,000 euro a sq metre and you wont go wrong

You see, you've just proved my point Calahonda!

€1,300 sq/m, then €2,000 sq/m, and other, different quotes I have seen online. HENCE WHY I ASKED! Show me a house, what it looks like, and tell me its cost, simple enough request... Lots of variables to just simply say Budget 2,000 euro a sq metre and you wont go wrong, as that pushes the average cost of 110 to 140sq/m home to between €220,000 and €280,000 for a build.

I don't think so.

And I'm not lazy. :)

Seanie M wrote: »
    You see, you've just proved my point Calahonda!

€1,300 sq/m, then €2,000 sq/m, and other, different quotes I have seen online. HENCE WHY I ASKED! Show me a house, what it looks like, and tell me its cost, simple enough request... Lots of variables to just simply say Budget 2,000 euro a sq metre and you wont go wrong, as that pushes the average cost of 110 to 140sq/m home to between €220,000 and €280,000 for a build.

I don't think so.

And I'm not lazy. :)

Well to be fair all it actually proves is a line thats often trotted out here, basically how long is a piece of string.. You could have a house thats €2k/m2.

But a person building a house at that level would most certainly not be on here messaging about it. Your average Irish 4 bed house wont cost anymore than €1300/m2 outside of Dublin.

Whats average you say?? Well that goes back to the first argument... how long is a piece of string. Throw up a picture of the house you want to build...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

but you will get shot down by all the current people paying over €1300/m2 saying it cant be done.....

hard work, hands on and research research research the hell out of it then start the build without one question hanging over you and no reason it cant be under the €1000/m2

• Advertisement

but you will get shot down by all the current people paying over €1300/m2 saying it cant be done.....

Yeah i agree, my observation is that this forum isn't actually fit for purpose really.

in the next couple of days when i get a bit of time ill make up a house building cost template.

In the meantime have a look at this. Its for the developers so you need to add a couple of percent to the A+B section to reflect the true cost but its not a million miles out. A typical 4 bed semi D is around 1250 sq.ft.

https://www.scsi.ie/policy_research/house_delivery_cost_calculator

Advertisement