Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much and how much is too little for an engagement ring

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

IMO 'too much' is an amount that you struggle to save, or that means you will be living hand-to-mouth in the months following the engagement. If you're using a token ring, use something that's really obviously not an engagement ring. One of my friends' fiancé proposed with something like this http://omg.wthax.org/5Rb52R.jpg He bought it in either Dunnes or M&S, can't remember which, and the two of them had a good laugh over it. My hubby proposed with a bunch of roses, I pressed 4 of them (one of each colour) and now I have them in a 4 section frame on my wall. Before that I scanned them in to the computer and used them on our invitations, mass booklet, and then the thank you cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just to give everyone a big laugh I found a budget calculator!! No idea how they work it out
    http://www.perfectring.ie/engagement-ring-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Millem wrote: »
    Just to give everyone a big laugh I found a budget calculator!! No idea how they work it out

I should have spent nearly €7000 according to that! Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

I really don't see the point. The ring doesn't do anything. You'd spend less on a car and look how useful a car is. I really don't see the need for thousands or even hundreds to be wrapped around one of my digits.

Each to their own but I do think a lot of people are sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op aside from the cost I would hate my engagement ring to be picked for me. Jewellery is so personal and if you have to look at something you wear for the rest of your life then you had better really love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah shucks, I'm only worth a 3000 ring. I guess us older ladies with children aren't as valuable as they young and fancy free. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Apparently I should have a 10k ring on my finger. He spent way too little on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Ha ha that's the tackiest thing I have seen yet.
    Every shop should have one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

of course if you wait until you're over 23, you'll be worth more! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

OP: as you've probably gathered, it's an extremely individual decision as to how much to spend on a ring. Figure out how much you're comfortable spending and plan accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

:D That is ridiculous.

Some of those questions don't even make sense. Why does your education background have any bearing on how much your engagement ring costs?

There are some people out there in good permanent jobs who might not have degrees and they could earn more than people with a masters. That calculator makes absolutely no sense :p

Anyway, back on topic. OP, my ring didn't cost a lot and that's how I wanted it. We are working on our house at the moment so I told my fiancee that I'd much prefer to put the money into that right now. Down the line I might go for something different but I really love the ring I got and we got it in NYC which made it extra special so I don't think i'll end up changing it at all.

Don't let anyone tell you that there is a minimum amount that you have to spend. At the end of the day, outside spectators aren't part of your day to day relationship. They aren't going to be sitting at your kitchen table 24 hours a day staring at the hand of your girlfriend so it shouldn't bother them how much it costs. Don't pander to them for fear of being judged that you didn't spend enough! You know your relationship better than anyone so trust your instincts when it comes to the cost and just do what makes you both happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I think I got the best of both worlds my now fiance randomly asked when passing jewelers if I liked this or that style " just for future reference if ever needed" he was surprised I think at the style I wanted which I couldn't find an exact match of but was able to describe from looking at other rings. I always said I wanted to be surprised if I ever got proposed to and I was. The little information he had meant he was confident in getting a ring made for me which I was none the ware of and got the shock of my life when he proposed! I ADORE my ring it's exactly what I wanted and couldn't find and I'd never change it no matter how much it cost because it is my ring and my proposal was so special! (he did it big romantic style :eek:).
    Other engaged friends tried to tell him not to surprise me to buy a proposal ring instead I'm so happy he didn't listen as I'm the sentimental type and would of felt strange about changing the ring I was proposed to with for another one.
    Do what you think will mean the most to your girlfriend and you, and spend accordingly. I think she'll love whatever you decide. :)

But you told him exactly what you wanted so how was the ring a surprise? I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

To all me again original poster "derferjam" well I've managed to get her ring size without her realising it and via an odd question I asked I've also found that she is not one for stones... believes in the traditional but still the rose gold. . Reckons if I ever tried to buy a ring I better get her best friend to help if I want it to be a surprise but I know for a fact that they have no secrets so no way am I getting her just wreck the surprise and I'd loose some of the joy of picking that special ring...

Don't try to surprise her

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

CaraMay wrote: »
    But you told him exactly what you wanted so how was the ring a surprise? I'm confused...

He knew I wanted a square cut diamond, I had never seen the ring he got me he had it made and I didn't know I was even getting a ring so the whole thing was a surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

If ur heart is set on surprising her don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My OH picked me ring and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way - I wouldn't have liked a proposal ring and then pick my own but I'm traditional that way - it's about the only tradition we've followed!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hmmm.

Mine says €3.5k, so I did it again, this time changing the kids option from yes to no.

€4.2K.

I gave birth to his son and heir, and this calculator deducts €700 offa me! If anything having a child should add €7,000 to the sodding ring!!! :pac:

Advertisement