Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo to release new Super Record RS Groupset

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

letape wrote: »
    Groupset to sit above current mechanical Super Record groupset. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Details abd pictures from bike radar below:

http://m.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/campagnolo-super-record-rs-group-spotted-in-taipei-40285

Given every mechanic I meet has a preference for campag in terms of serviceability, for a reliable audax machine, where weight or bling aren't primary considerations, what campag groupset would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

ford2600 wrote: »
    Given every mechanic I meet has a preference for campag in terms of serviceability, for a reliable audax machine, where weight or bling aren't primary considerations, what campag groupset would you recommend?

Personally, for the money I think Chorus makes most sense. It has the same serviceability and build as record / super record but does without (some of) the use of titanium and carbon.

I reckon, one couldn't tell the difference between Chorus and super record in a blind fold test (not advised!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

letape wrote: »
    Personally, for the money I think Chorus makes most sense. It has the same serviceability and build as record / super record but does without (some of) the use of titanium and carbon.

I reckon, one couldn't tell the difference between Chorus and super record in a blind fold test (not advised!).

Thanks for that. Knew you were good campag man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I agree with letape, Chorus would be a great choice. It shares many of the internals of Record, and as with many Campag groupsets the ergolevers are rebuildable which is reassuring as they'd be expensive to replace if you had to.

I have a 9-speed Chorus groupset which is 14 years old and it is going strong. Admittedly I used it very little for several years at the start but I've used it consistently for the last 6 years or so and it has been on my winter bike for 5 of those years. I've replaced the (square taper) bottom bracket once and I rebuilt the ergolevers once too - I snapped a collar in the right lever by an over enthusiastic gear change on a climb, and although it continued to function very well, changing between two rear cogs was noticeably less crisp than usual, so I bought a replacement collar (the new one had reinforcement on the bit that broke on the older one so should hopefully last even longer) and springs and replaced them on both levers and the levers were as good as new once more. Other than that the groupset has been entirely and impressively reliable and problem-free. Being an older version of Chorus my groupset has no carbon parts, which I like for a winter bike as I hope that the alloy is more robust than carbon in the event of a fall, but I have no real reason (other than a bit of paranoia) to believe that the modern carbon equivalent is any less robust.

When buying a new bike a few years back I was planning to get it with an 11-speed Chorus groupset but ended up with Record instead. At the time I looked in detail at the differences between the two groupsets and the differences were far fewer than I expected. At the time Record had carbon and titanium in some places where Chorus had alloy, as letape mentions, and I think that the Record calipers had bearings while the Chorus ones didn't, but apart from that and some weight saving in places there wasn't a whole lot between them. I ended up with Record only because Chorus was not in stock.

In use the newer Record groupset is more crisp than my older Chorus, but this is probably a generational change more than anything and I suspect modern Chorus would be a little more crisp than my (fairly crisp) older Chorus too. If I were buying a new groupset today I'd find it hard to justify the extra cost of Record to myself, I think I'd go for Chorus and I don't think I'd have any regrets. I've not looked at groupsets below Chorus but I think I'd keep away from them for the fact that most/all of them use power-torque bottom brackets if for no other reason.

One thing to be aware of though, Campag are very fussy with their 11-speed chains. Being 11-speed it'll need a fairly modern chainsplitter to work safely with it and certainly for the Record chain Campag give dire warnings about splitting and re-joining the chain (which requires a new pin each time) more than 3 times as they say its strength will be seriously compromised. In practice I never split my 11-speed chain and if I thought I'd need to, to swap between very different cassettes for example, I'd get a re-usable split link but these are not as readily available for Campag 11-speed chains as for some other brands. You could use a different brand of chain too, of course. Basically though, if you typically carry a chaintool with you for emergencies on an audax, then you may need a new chaintool if you go to Campag 11-speed and want to be able to re-join the chain on the side of the road (Lezyne do one though I've not tried it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Groupset details now released - sounds like a non-event:

http://road.cc/content/news/113317-campagnolo-officially-launches-super-record-rs-groupset

Other than changes in the branding on the products, the only change is to the chainrings and the front derailleur cage material from carbon fibre to steel to improve front shifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yeah, I heard it was just something for sponsored pro teams or something like that. Kind of reminds me of the Ritchey WCS stuff.

Advertisement