Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching from solid fuel to gas need advice.

Options
  • 13-09-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey Folks - Currently running a 30Kw/120,000btu (apparently) solid fuel stove to heat the house (a hercules 30b if anyone is interested)
    After 2 years of it taking ALOT of time and ALOT of fuel to even keep the house luke warm I would like to install gas central heating.
    I have never dealt with gas before so its unchartedered ground for me and hard to get the costs nailed down to see if we can afford the switch!

I am trying to piece together the costs of switching to gas heating -

I rang flogas and tank install + connection is 230 ( inc vat) and you get 1200 litres credited to the account which is a nice incentive - initial per litre of gas quote is 72.5c. tank rental 106 per year.

So after that 230 I need to allow for the concrete plinth (hardcore and 4" slab) - I can diy that so 100 euros should cover that. and tank rental I'll include in the cost of the install so 106 so so far we are at 436 before we look at a boiler and installng it.

I have been looking at ARISTON A RATED COMBI 30kw

thats about 1000 delivered and also incudes
    1000mm Flue kit
    1 X "Sauter", room Thermostat.
    3 X "Pro",Classic Thermostatic Bi-Directional Radiator valves (15mm).
    7 day Single Digital Programmer.
    1 X "Guardian", G1000, 500ml container of Corrision Inhibitor.

I guess my question is apart from labour what are the other hidden costs?
    Also should i be looking at a combi or system boiler?
    (I am guessing that combi is open vent and system is pressurised...)
    apparently boilers are more efficient in presurised system?

Anyway if any one has some tips on switching and the costs involved please chime in!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Combi is where a boiler heats hot water directly and not through a cylinder. Depends on demand of hot water and incoming water pressure to their success. A combi boiler is normally pressurised on the heating side.

Best thing to do is to get at least three quotes from contractors. Quotes and info cost nothing. Get more if needs be. Once you start to speak with contractors you will have a better idea what is best suited to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maradonas

Fair play just for the record I hate stoves too!!!
    Standing charge for gas not for oil.

I hate stoves your doing the right thing here its a pity so many people are getting caught out with the gossip about how good stoves are and there not worth the hassle unless you own a coal mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

maradonas wrote: »
    Fair play just for the record I hate stoves too!!!
    Standing charge for gas not for oil.

I hate stoves your doing the right thing here its a pity so many people are getting caught out with the gossip about how good stoves are and there not worth the hassle unless you own a coal mine.

The very basic bog standard non boiler stoves are way better than an open fire for efficiency and heat in my opinion.

I've a small cheap dimplex insert 4kw. I've to split the logs to get them in.
    1 log and 1 briquett for the whole night.

Small,simple and beautifully.

Under €500 on oil with highly efficient zoned system + (Grant Vortex 90) and HE cylindre last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A stove should only ever compliment an automative heating system.

They are far more efficient than an open fired back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

Your solid fuel stove should heat your house and at a lot less cost than gas or oil check if your sylinder is near your stove get a good Plummer to check few things out first good luck paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

scudo2 wrote: »
    The very basic bog standard non boiler stoves are way better than an open fire for efficiency and heat in my opinion.

I've a small cheap dimplex insert 4kw. I've to split the logs to get them in.
    1 log and 1 briquett for the whole night.

Small,simple and beautifully.

Under €500 on oil with highly efficient zoned system + (Grant Vortex 90) and HE cylindre last year.

Advertisement