Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry - a Q&A thread for the newbie!

Options
  • 27-02-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi...

Would it be okay to start a thread on the Ring on Kerry cycle for the newbies to cyclying this route for the 1st time. We could use this as a Q&A thread to ask questions on same.

I'll start the ball rolling as I am gearing up for this years cycle.

1. to get up and ready for the 180kms involved - what should my average Km per spin should I now be doing in March (ie Cycle date minus 4 months) !! am doing 3 x Spins a week at the moment.

So... lets ask Questions and look forward to Answers from the experienced riders out there¬¬

Masala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If you are doing three rides/week you will be fine.
    It all depends on whether you just want to enjoy the day or bomb your way around the course.

If you can do a standalone ride of 100km by June, you will be able for the 174km that is the Ring.

My only other advice would be to not stop at the main feedstops for too long, as you can cool down pretty rapidly. That plus a full belly makes the next 15/20km pretty uncomfortable IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What distance are you doing at the moment? Whatever your doing now, increase it by 10% per week. Throw in a few hills on your weekly spins if you can. Make sure you like Jaffa cakes, Home made cake, Ham/cheese sandwiches because there's a lot to get thru on the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 heatheryfield

Masala!

The Ring of Kerry cycle is so great it should be on everybody's list of things to do before they die! I've come back to cycling in the past 2 or three years and have done the last 2 Ring of Kerry cycles - like you I was really worried about the distance.

There are lots of fun sportives to do in the time between now and then and I would suggest you do a couple of them to see what it's like to be cycling as part of a big group. Pick milestones in your training plan and pencil in some events to do - it will really keep you motivated and you can start with much shorter ones and then try longer ones as time goes on.

As some of the other posters have said, aim to do a 100km cycle (eg wicklow 100 -though this was horrible in the rain last year!!) or two as the summer approaches and you'll be fine.

Another thing I didn't really realise until learning the hard way: MAKE SURE you bring lots of snacks (eg bars, bananas or gels) and drinks with you if you are cycling for more than an hour. It burns lots of calories and it gets really depressing when you are feeling exhausted and your speed seems to be just dropping no matter how hard you try. Keep re-fuelling on the go and you'll be flying!

The Ring of Kerry cycle has beautiful scenery, but also the most amazing unique friendly atmousphere. There'll be little kids out clapping, grannies out cheering, people offering sandwiches and cups of water. You can start conversations with people along the way - which is all part of the fun - and they'll overtake you and you'll overtake them later.

It's sooooo worth the fun - a great day out and a wonderful thing to train towards. you'll be delighted you did it and if you are already training now you'll have no problem!

Go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Tour de Burren - 'Fr. Ted's Day out 162km, its on the week before ROK.

http://tourdeburren.com/index.php?page=routes

Do this and you will be fine!

....ah, gwan, gwan, gwan!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Dont rely on the food stops, we found them jammed last year, but roll onto the next village or two and hit a pub for pub lunch or something.. best thing i ever did......avoid the queues

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

I've seen many people (on this thread and elsewhere) mentioning that if you can do 100km, you can do the Ring of Kerry (175km), which is additional 75% distance.

Whilst I don't doubt this advice or the people who gave it, I do wonder how it is possible?

I'm sometimes quite tired after a spin of 80km. If I had to do another 60km (75% of 80km) I think I'd find it really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Postit wrote: »
    I've seen many people (on this thread and elsewhere) mentioning that if you can do 100km, you can do the Ring of Kerry (175km), which is additional 75% distance.

Whilst I don't doubt this advice or the people who gave it, I do wonder how it is possible?

I'm sometimes quite tired after a spin of 80km. If I had to do another 60km (75% of 80km) I think I'd find it really tough.

Quite simply put it's due to the nature of the event and the way it's run. If you were talking about a proper sportif/challenge cycle event then you wouldn't be able to say the same, but because the ROK is a charity ride and so very casual in pace and social in nature and arising from the more requent food stops (there's a water or food stop every 30km or so) it means that participants effectively roll around the route, talking and eating their way around the circuit and soaking up the atmosphere and sights.

Anyone who's put in mileage in training enough to see them build up to the point of being able to cover 100km rides in (relative) comfort will be able to pull the ROK out of the bag on the day with relative ease so long as they pace themselves for the day ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Postit wrote: »

You have to remember theres a couple of thousand doing the ROK. This makes a massive difference. Physically you use less energy while slipstreaming. More importantly the amount of people and general atmosphere of the ROK means a massive mental boost. You pay less attention to the pain. Also remember most people stop at some point along the route and generally for far longer than at other sportifs so view the ROK as a number of smaller cycles all on the one day.

A bit of advice would be to get used to cycling in groups. One because of the amount of people you will at some point end up cycling in a fairly large group. Two you save energy by slipstreaming. And three you'll enjoy it far more if your able to cycle alongside people and have a bit of craic. This is important if your tired, talking having a joke etc makes it easier to forget about your legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Are the roads closed off to traffic for the RoK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Some great advice so far........

(MODS....I see that there is a Thread as mentioned earlier - so feel free to amalgamate them!)

What about the DOOMSDAY Scenario.....legs give up in Kenmare or so??. Is there a way of getting back to Killarney with bike in the back of a van or something? Or ...will I have to get the wife to drive (counter-clockwise !) to collect me?

To be honest......I could never hold my head up high if I 'allowed' this to happen! I'll crawl back to Killarney if I have to ! But I need the comfort of knowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Masala wrote: »
    What about the DOOMSDAY Scenario.....legs give up in Kenmare or so??.
    They won't. You can always walk up the hills and freewheel down the far side. The only excuse for getting a lift home is a broken bike or a broken bone.

I tell you - I am really looking forward to this trip. I hope we get the weather for it on the day!!

A couple of other questions:

1. Is there a 'minimum' amount that needs to be collected for your chosen charity?
    2. What extra should we bring??? Money?? Phone ??
    3. Can I leave my lock behind.... less weight etc.
    4. Any tips on recovery at home that evening??? I presume a pint in the grounds of the Lake Hotel goes down well on the way home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

seamus wrote: »
    They won't. You can always walk up the hills and freewheel down the far side. The only excuse for getting a lift home is a broken bike or a broken bone.

+1 Even then it depends on the bone! you can still cycle with cracked ribs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Are the roads closed off to traffic for the RoK?

No the roads are open. However the amount of cyclists practically closes off the left hand lane for much of the route.

What extra should we bring??? Money?? Phone ??
    Yep, bring your phone in case you actually need to call for help. Money is good in case you fancy stopping in for a pint somewhere or if your bike needs to be fixed, you can pay for it there and then. No harm to bring a credit card and some ID too in case the worst happens. Stick it all (including your phone) in a ziplock bag and it's protected from the elements.
    Can I leave my lock behind.... less weight etc.
    Only carry anything you need on the ride. You won't need a lock because you won't be leaving your bike alone for any significant length of time.

Bring some food for yourself. Yes, there are food stops, but you may find yourself hungry on the road, so having something small then is good. At the food stops, take some stuff to eat now, and some to eat later.

Make sure you have two full bottles of water - most people recommend having an energy drink in one. This does help, but you need to try them out before going on the trip.
    Any tips on recovery at home that evening??? I presume a pint in the grounds of the Lake Hotel goes down well on the way home?
    Eat, than go to bed :D
    Pints are theoretically not great (they slow muscle recovery), but no-one would begrudge you a hard-earned brew.

Thanks Seamus.....points (not Pints) taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I tell you - I am really looking forward to this trip. I hope we get the weather for it on the day!!

Is there a 'minimum' amount that needs to be collected for your chosen charity?

Any tips on recovery at home that evening??? I presume a pint in the grounds of the Lake Hotel goes down well on the way home?

No minimum amount needs to be collected for your chosen charity, I usually give a donation at registration.

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned :), I enjoy a soak in a radox bath after the cycle..great for tired muscles..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Mrs Courtney's Tea Rooms for recovery tea and cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

One bit of advice that should always apply but especially on a day like ROK is check your tyres and be sure you have correct pressure in them .You would be surprised the amount of people that get puntures even just a couple of miles in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Am aiming for the ROK too this year with a couple of 100K sportifs in the months beforehand so that I will feel suitably prepared.

Do you have to register in advance, on the day, or either ? Also, is there only one start location or are there staggered starting spots around the route given the large numbers involved ?

Is there an official start time or is it more a case of turn up from 06:00 onwards, register, and away you go ??

Like Masala, it's a trip I'm really looking forward to and training for - all I need then come the day is a bit of decent weather and not too much of a south-westerly wind. Not too much to ask for, is it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

boege wrote: »
    Tour de Burren - 'Fr. Ted's Day out 162km, its on the week before ROK.

http://tourdeburren.com/index.php?page=routes

Do this and you will be fine!

....ah, gwan, gwan, gwan!!:D:D:D

The tour de Burren is my local sportive and I was hoping to do it for the first time this year. While not planning on doing the 162km event, would the 90/100km event be too much the week before the ROK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

1. Is there a 'minimum' amount that needs to be collected for your chosen charity?
    2. What extra should we bring??? Money?? Phone ??
    3. Can I leave my lock behind.... less weight etc.
    4. Any tips on recovery at home that evening??? I presume a pint in the grounds of the Lake Hotel goes down well on the way home?

No minimum amount, few of us raised about the e150 mark each last year.
    Ya bobs and phone just in case, spare tubes in case of puncture, but there's plenty of support and assistance on the route.
    No need for a lock, travel light with just the essentials.
    Recovery,massage if available but a nice meal and a few jars and put the feet up , there's a great buzz if your still in killarney but just enjoy the glow of finishing the ROK no matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Unless you happen to lie on the ROK itself the other thing you will notice is the Road Surface. Its not like many other Sportive/Charity Cycle routes around the country. 90% of it will feel like a smooth carpet. Also it is relatively flat compared to many of the Challenge rides which go looking for every hill

Every other route has the heavy chip or pot-holed roads.

We are cycling down from Mayo on the Friday. We have never thought of cycling down to the SK or even up to the Tour of Sligo

jrar wrote: »
    Am aiming for the ROK too this year with a couple of 100K sportifs in the months beforehand so that I will feel suitably prepared.

Do you have to register in advance, on the day, or either ? Also, is there only one start location or are there staggered starting spots around the route given the large numbers involved ?

Is there an official start time or is it more a case of turn up from 06:00 onwards, register, and away you go ??

Like Masala, it's a trip I'm really looking forward to and training for - all I need then come the day is a bit of decent weather and not too much of a south-westerly wind. Not too much to ask for, is it ;)

Good thinking, get in a few 100Km's, you will feel the benefits.
    Yes you do have to register in advance, i hear registration starts in mid march so keep an eye on the website, they also have a facebook page and you're bound to hear something in here. http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/index.php
    No official start time, from daylight you will see people heading off, and no cut off point, last year people finishing past 6/7 pm.
    Aah the weather, well more of last year, nice cool day and no wind, the sun shone from mid afternoon, but same again please.

Please be advised that online registration will be opened on Friday 16th March 2012. Watch www.ringofkerrycycle.ie for further details.:D

Registration now open folks !!

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I see some good advise on what to bring with you. Newbie question here is how do you carry everything? I assume a back pack is a terrible idea so where do you put your phone, money, food, rain jacket, etc... Also do you need to bring a puncture repair kit and pump?

Thanks!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I see some good advise on what to bring with you. Newbie question here is how do you carry everything? I assume a back pack is a terrible idea so where do you put your phone, money, food, rain jacket, etc... Also do you need to bring a puncture repair kit and pump?

Thanks!
    Aside from making you hot & sweaty, a backpack will eventually cause your back and shoulders to ache more than they need to.

Get yourself a proper cycling jersey. They typically have 3 large pockets on the back where you can slot in lots of stuff.
    If you don't fancy doing that, a pair of mountain bike shorts usually have lots of storage, and you could bring a frame bag (sits on top of the crossbar) to carry anything else.

Yes, you should bring a puncture repair kit and a pump. I would also bring at least one spare tube - it's easier to just replace the tube than repair the puncture at the roadside, but you'll have the repair kit there as backup in case. You should also bring a few other small tools. Most people carry keep these in a saddle bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

yep a cycling jersey with three pockets will take a fair bit of stuff

pumps can be attached to the frame,

for anything that you might be taking out frequently ( ipod or wallet) put into its own pocket as it may drag something else out and loose it on you !! ) .

avoid the food stops as they can be over crowded and head for the next village or service station instead. ( Sneem is a great place to stop !! instead of the school in caherciveen) head into a pub there for quick lunch.

njoy the day

Advertisement