Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback on Bentley Boys

• 31-07-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

really need help to see how much people paid for the Bentley Boys. They are quite expensive and we are hoping to go with them but that depends on if we can get them to come down in price a bit. Has anybody had any luck in doing this? We are hoping to have the 6 piece band with DJ. But if anyone could give us an idea of prices paid for band and DJ that would be a big help in our negotiations (as myself and my partner are not the best at this part of the process).

Also has anyone feedback on the singers Séan and Cathal?

Any help would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Carter82 wrote: »
    Hi there,

really need help to see how much people paid for the Bentley Boys. They are quite expensive and we are hoping to go with them but that depends on if we can get them to come down in price a bit. Has anybody had any luck in doing this? We are hoping to have the 6 piece band with DJ. But if anyone could give us an idea of prices paid for band and DJ that would be a big help in our negotiations (as myself and my partner are not the best at this part of the process).

Also has anyone feedback on the singers Séan and Cathal?

Any help would be really appreciated

They are really really good at what they do. If you've priced them you know the kind of money they're looking for. Have you seen any other bands in the same price bracket to compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I attended a wedding where they played and had the DJ afterwards. They were simply fantastic. From a guests perspective it made the night.

I think there were 5 in the band with a male and female singer. Unfortunately I don't know what they cost but honestly I would say even if they are quoting more than similar bands, they're worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carter82

They are really really good at what they do. If you've priced them you know the kind of money they're looking for. Have you seen any other bands in the same price bracket to compare?

No we just seen them at their showcase and they were fantastic. I've no doubt they're worth it but we just have to see if our budget can stretch to it. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Best wedding I was ever at had the bentley boys with a horn section, can't remember exactly how many were on stage.
    They're worth whatever they charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

They're very good and we were gonna book them for around the €2.4k mark for a 5 piece BUT when they heard our wedding day was NYE, they pushed the price up closest to €4k which is way over what we are willing to pay for a band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

My friend had them last year, and I know found them very difficult to deal with, very inflexible, insisted on being paid cash and on being fed on the night.

That said they performed excellently and definitely added to what was already an amazing night! They were such fun and really got the crowd going!

Personally what would put me off is that they are not a band like you think of a band. They are a group of 12 musicians who come together in different combinations when requested. It was really important for us to have the chemistry of a real band who play together all the time. I just think they gel better on stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Whatever you you, don't skimp on the band. A good band makes a wedding. People aren't going to remember the favours or the invitations, but they will remember if the dance floor was empty half the night. If it means having to cut costs elsewhere I would strongly advise you to go for a good band.

We didn't go with the Bentley Boys as I wasn't particularly impressed (just my personal opinion), but we did pay a similar amount for our band and it was worth every penny. So if you like them and have gotten good feedback from other weddings then seriously consider booking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I was at a wedding where they played and they were really good (and cute) and then they spoke in between a song and their voices came out like that phone ad "hayaa Kaaayte, it's me de guy from de baaar"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

amdublin wrote: »
    I was at a wedding where they played and they were really good (and cute) and then they spoke in between a song and their voices came out like that phone ad "hayaa Kaaayte, it's me de guy from de baaar"

Don't know that ad.

Did they have thick Dublin accents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Don't know that ad.

Did they have thick Dublin accents?

Thick - yes
    Dublin - no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbujX4hXOg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

amdublin wrote: »

Lol!!

How did I miss this ad??!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

My sister had them at her wedding and I cannot recommend them enough. The dancefloor was packed all night - Great songs! I can't remember the name of the male lead singer but she got the female singer too...I think it was slightly above her budget but she just cut down elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They're very good and we were gonna book them for around the €2.4k mark for a 5 piece BUT when they heard our wedding day was NYE, they pushed the price up closest to €4k which is way over what we are willing to pay for a band.

No they didn't. They gave you their price for a NYE gig. Which is what a wedding is. A gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

kkcatlou wrote: »
    My friend had them last year, and I know found them very difficult to deal with, very inflexible, insisted on being paid cash and on being fed on the night.

That said they performed excellently and definitely added to what was already an amazing night! They were such fun and really got the crowd going!

Personally what would put me off is that they are not a band like you think of a band. They are a group of 12 musicians who come together in different combinations when requested. It was really important for us to have the chemistry of a real band who play together all the time. I just think they gel better on stage.

This is the case with almost every professional wedding band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭paulbok

Had them and they were fantastic.
    Think we had 6 members including 2 brass.
    they also DJ'd for the night and it was just under €3000 iirc. (1800 for 4 piece, 300 for each additional member and 550 for DJ)
    Think they charged a little extra traveling if it's more than an hour or so from Dublin.
    There are cheaper bands, but we we really happy with them.

Well worth it, had the floor full all night. One of our guests booked them when they got engaged having heard them.

One niggle with them;
    We requested a specific song in advance for the DJ afterwards, (it was top of a poll we had on our guest website) and they didn't have it. :(
    In hindsight I'd have re-confirmed that detail with them a few days before.

paulbok wrote: »

One niggle with them;
    We requested a specific song in advance for the DJ afterwards, (it was top of a poll we had on our guest website) and they didn't have it. :(

as I do this, I always ask B&G for a list of "must plays" beforehand, even though Id have a fairly large collection. you get the odd person coming up with something random and once in a blue moon I might not have a request but sometimes on the night you get....
    "have you got x or y's acoustic version of this particular song, which was recorded on a live session and used to be on youtube but was taken down, and if not, what kind of a dj do you call yourself"

If you had requested it beforehand though, then its definitely a niggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

we have the Bentley Boys booked for our wedding. We saw them at a showcase in Belfast and thought they were fantastic.

Like PaulBok above we wanted the 6 piece (2 Brass) and DJ but couldn't make our budget stretch that far so the Bentley boys met us halfway. They were able to give us a five piece band, with a sax (with the keyboard player also playing trumpet) so we will have the sound of a 6 piece for the price of a 5.

Ive heard nothing but good reviews about them, we are aware of how they work (loads of members) but that doesn't really concern us as all their members are top class.

I just hope now that they will learn our first dance, If not I'm sure they can play it through their sound system from a CD/iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AmcBan

Hi all can I ask what's the best way to arrange booking the Bentley boys from experience and did people say specific what instrument they wanted?

AmcBan wrote: »
    Hi all can I ask what's the best way to arrange booking the Bentley boys from experience and did people say specific what instrument they wanted?

You have to book at least the basics with them, singer drums, guitar bass, they go out for as few as a 3 piece. You pick the singer at a showcase and then stretch the budget to as many as you wish up to 12 I think. If you cant make their showcases just ring them and theyll send someone but you should really try make a showcase. More members = more brass usually or some backing female singers. Ring them and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

paulbok wrote: »
    Had them and they were fantastic.
    Think we had 6 members including 2 brass.
    they also DJ'd for the night and it was just under €3000 iirc. (1800 for 4 piece, 300 for each additional member and 550 for DJ)
    Think they charged a little extra traveling if it's more than an hour or so from Dublin.
    There are cheaper bands, but we we really happy with them.

Well worth it, had the floor full all night. One of our guests booked them when they got engaged having heard them.

One niggle with them;

I know this is an old thread and I should also add I know nothing about this band, but €550 extra for a band to do DJ is absolutely outrageous. :eek: You would get a DJ with their own rig for €200-300. I cannot get over that price, and I say this as someone who has played with wedding bands in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

pconn062 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread and I should also add I know nothing about this band, but €550 extra for a band to do DJ is absolutely outrageous. :eek: You would get a DJ with their own rig for €200-300. I cannot get over that price, and I say this as someone who has played with wedding bands in the past.

As a working DJ I too am shocked at that price.

I am a full time professional DJ unlike the member of the band who "plays a few tunes" and didn't have the requested song that the B&G groom wanted. I would never charge that amount for an after band set.

In fact, I charge €350 for an after band but I bring in my full rig with lights and set up at the same time as the band so as soon as they finish I will start and keep the party going.

The only thing that I encourage is not to book a band that provides the DJ who is generally a member of the band who has already done his gig. Leave it to a professional who is an expert in his area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I hope you don't mind me asking but as a DJ is it hard/costly to get new songs added to what you have and would you work off a playlist provided?

We are unsure of what to do after the band at our wedding, we both have a set of friends who would be very much into more modern alternative/indie music and we feel to really keep things going we would really need to give a DJ a very skewed playlist as to what they would normally play with songs from the likes of Rage against the machine, Weezer, Muse, Editors, Interpol, Biffy Clyro, Metallica, Foo Fighters ,Queens of the stone age etc....

Just wondering are DJ's this flexible or would we be pushing our luck requesting so much?

Sent you a PM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

€550 is an incorrect figure. The quoted figure is €450 and they're quite open to negotiations on that also. I believe we paid ~€350 and there was a seamless transition between band and DJ.

I would recommend The Bentley Boys without a moment's hesitation. They were outstanding at our wedding, and everyone from our friends to our grandparents couldn't stop raving about them the next day. They learned a song for me that I guarantee wasn't in their repertoire, and they came to find me when they were about to play it so I wouldn't miss it. With even the smallest bit of notice, I'm sure the DJ would be equipped with absolutely everything you could want.

I hope you don't mind me asking but as a DJ is it hard/costly to get new songs added to what you have and would you work off a playlist provided?

We are unsure of what to do after the band at our wedding, we both have a set of friends who would be very much into more modern alternative/indie music and we feel to really keep things going we would really need to give a DJ a very skewed playlist as to what they would normally play with songs from the likes of Rage against the machine, Weezer, Muse, Editors, Interpol, Biffy Clyro, Metallica, Foo Fighters ,Queens of the stone age etc....

Just wondering are DJ's this flexible or would we be pushing our luck requesting so much?

Professional DJs are that flexible. Ive seen guys hired from the band have the best of the 80s and nothing else,. Ive seen DJs hired from agencies with the best of the 70s and nothing else. Go and view or at least speak to them beforehand to find out which youre hiring..
    A pro guy would have everything, be able to play anything and if B&G ask him beforehand or even on the night should be able to nod his head to any request (its your night) and play any song just at the right time whether its indie, metal, cheese, waltzes, club, house, oldskool dance, you name it. If he cant, (and the others will say same) he's not a pro DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The only thing that I encourage is not to book a band that provides the DJ who is generally a member of the band who has already done his gig. Leave it to a professional who is an expert in his area.

I would ask people just do their research and ask questions in relation to this cause there not all the same as the ones that have lead you to make this statement.

I would ask people just do their research and ask questions in relation to this cause there not all the same as the ones that have lead you to make this statement.

Perhaps if you and other bands wanted to avoid this confusion you would just not provide the DJ service and let all wedding suppliers do their own part of the wedding.

Personally I see the industry changing in the next few years with less bands and more DJs doing full nights. The Maniac 2000 generation who are getting married now have no interest in paying €2000+ for 4 lads to sing Wagon Wheel!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Preset No.3, less of the generalisations please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I have seen them at 3 weddings and they are very good, but I wanted anyone else by the time my wedding came around... it's a bit like the photo booths, a bit overdone at this stage. Everyone i know has seen them a million times. So it depends what you want - they are definitely floor fillers, but fairly well travelled at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I have seen them at 3 weddings and they are very good, but I wanted anyone else by the time my wedding came around... it's a bit like the photo booths, a bit overdone at this stage. Everyone i know has seen them a million times. So it depends what you want - they are definitely floor fillers, but fairly well travelled by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I saw them at two weddings last year, first wedding hardly anyone on the floor, second wedding fairly packed floor of dancers. I think they are OK depends on the guests some are dancers some are not, and also the size of wedding too I think.

Perhaps if you and other bands wanted to avoid this confusion you would just not provide the DJ service and let all wedding suppliers do their own part of the wedding.

Personally I see the industry changing in the next few years with less bands and more DJs doing full nights. The Maniac 2000 generation who are getting married now have no interest in paying €2000+ for 4 lads to sing Wagon Wheel!!

There are a variety of reasons I offer it and why/how I started it. One reason is many of the weddings I do end up with the band playing for 3hrs+, leaving very little room at the end to justify paying full price for a DJ. Kinda of the same mentality as to why DJ's are doing full nights, its just a cost thing.

As for your prediction, well the grunge/indie era of people are getting married too.

Plus I dont charge that and you'll never find wagon wheel on my setlist either, I leave that to the DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

So are the Bentley boys the wedding band for the Ikea generation? Build it yourself!

sweetie wrote: »
    So are the Bentley boys the wedding band for the Ikea generation? Build it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

sweetie wrote: »

Seems to be the case all right... I have heard literally both ends of the opinion spectrum and everything and anything in between. Particularly from couples who may have booked quite late in the day (less than 6 months before wedding) and being totally thrilled they were available only to find none of the members familiar to them... Then again I have heard fabulous things about their listed frontmen... I would be exceptionally careful and be quite clear with their booking agent about who will be showing up to your event. They have an excellent name and a large presence on almost every forum/wedding website but I would be wary of a business that has more than 100 musicians claiming to be a 'Bentley boy' or 'Bentley girl'. That being said, fair play to them for giving so much employment to players and singers alike.

Caveat Emptor I guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

The main thing when booking this band, is that you see them first and if you are happy with the singer, make sure you book them for your wedding. I have heard of couples checking out the band only to find that the band they get on their wedding night are completely different. They are all freelance musicians, not a defined band.

You can end up with a very good band but it can be a bit hit or miss. Their business model is very impressive-once a wedding is booked in, a message goes out to the no1 musicians (possibly via an app), they can either accept or reject. if they reject it goes onto the next sax/keys/drummer on the list until somebody accepts the gig. Once they accept the gig, a pdf copy of the music for the night is sent out to them so they can learn off most of the parts for the night.

Note-there can be up to 4 Bentley Boys band out playing a wedding at peak times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

thunderdog wrote: »
    The main thing when booking this band, is that you see them first and if you are happy with the singer, make sure you book them for your wedding. I have heard of couples checking out the band only to find that the band they get on their wedding night are completely different. They are all freelance musicians, not a defined band.

You can end up with a very good band but it can be a bit hit or miss. Their business model is very impressive-once a wedding is booked in, a message goes out to the no1 musicians (possibly via an app), they can either accept or reject. if they reject it goes onto the next sax/keys/drummer on the list until somebody accepts the gig. Once they accept the gig, a pdf copy of the music for the night is sent out to them so they can learn off most of the parts for the night.

Note-there can be up to 4 Bentley Boys band out playing a wedding at peak times

I think that's closer to 12 line ups

Advertisement