Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank likely to offer mortgage deal on large lump sum repayment?

Options
  • 17-06-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a mortgage with Ulster Bank and are in a position to give them a lump sum to reduce the capital balance. We currently owe 300K and were thinking of paying off a little over 1/3 of that.

My question is whether or not banks are inclined to offer some sort of discount on the early repayment of a mortgage? We aren't in arrears and are on a standard variable rate so I'm guess that the answer would be that there is no incentive for the bank to offer any kind of deal.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We aren't in arrears and are on a standard variable rate so I'm guess that the answer would be that there is no incentive for the bank to offer any kind of deal.

Correct, they have no incentive whatsoever for the simple reason that they don't want you to pay the loan off early.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Silpac

your the last account they want an early repayment for. Still not a bad idea if its totally surplus and your paying a variable rate ie you will not earn an equivalent amount on deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you make a lump payment like that, they're already losing out on the interest they would otherwise have charged you on that 100k (provided you reduce the term, rather than the repayments) so they're not gonna offer you anything else. That said, not paying interest on that 100k is huge incentive as is.

Advertisement