Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling at Altitude - What to Expect

• 13-01-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Going to Taiwan in March for the Taipei Cycle Show and going to do some cycling while I'm there. What effect does cycling at altitude have on the body? Will be climbing to 3250m max.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i was going to say epic views. Max i was at was about 2000 ish and i was fine. I did stay at about 2500 overnight and got some headaches tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I live in Colorado half the year at around 6000ft and have cycled up to 11000ft. At first you feel very breathless and it will be like cycling with diving boots on after short while you may get headaches. Takes me 2 weeks acclimatisation to cycle well at 6000ft and longer to go up the mountains and be comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Breathing under high effort is different, but all that means is that to mitigate that you cycle slower towards the top.
    Nothing like a nice sit down to catch your breath.
    I would recommend that you have something with you to eat and drink just in case, and also be aware that the wind is quite cooling on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Hm, Taiwan, don't expect much of a view, lots of cloud and mist there. I spent three weeks in Taipei and there wasn't one Sunny day, mostly due to humidity. Once you go over about 1700m you can expect it to get much harder. Don't even think about attacking any of your mates at that height or they will most definitely have the last laugh. Make sure and check out the CKS memorial hall, also Taipei 101, the lift and the views are great, but it's the shops and clientel in the lobby that really make you feel po!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The highest I've to is about 2,450m/8,200ft (over the Timmelsjoch Pass). I didn't notice any difference in oxygen but some of the others in the group did.

The biggest factor for me was the bitter cold at the top and on the 70km descent down the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I got altitude sickness at 3500m ( trekking not cycling though). I MTBed to 2200m no bother.
    But your trip will be different, depending on your daily itinerary - what your start elevation and sleeping elevation is.
    The maxim climb high, sleep low helps the body acclimatize to altitude.
    However, no two people are the same, one person may be affected at a lower altitude, another may not be affected by an even higher one. There is no way of knowing.
    Having good fitness does not guarantee avoiding altitude problems either.
    The best thing you can do is remain well hydrated and listen to your body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

gman2k wrote: »
    I got altitude sickness at 3500m ( trekking not cycling though). I MTBed to 2200m no bother.
    But your trip will be different, depending on your daily itinerary - what your start elevation and sleeping elevation is.
    The maxim climb high, sleep low helps the body acclimatize to altitude.
    However, no two people are the same, one person may be affected at a lower altitude, another may not be affected by an even higher one. There is no way of knowing.
    Having good fitness does not guarantee avoiding altitude problems either.
    The best thing you can do is remain well hydrated and listen to your body.

Good advice. Going to be staying in Puli which is west of Wuling mountain and at its base. I can't find an elevation profile but going by pics on Google maps I'd say it's reasonably high (possibly 1000m). Will listen to the body so and keep well hydrated. Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

1000m is not high, we have hills that high (low) here at home, and altitude issues will never arise.
    Your bigger problems abroad on these type of trips will be water and food borne illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

NO medical advice allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Quoting deleted post

Responding to medical advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The OP did not ask for medical advice, of any sort, it is also against forum rules, any questions please PM me

Have 2 really epic routes planned so i hope the weather stays fine. Day 1 has about 2000m of climbing and Day 2 about 3500-4000. Hope the legs will handle it. Will be doing it all at an easy pace and breaking it up as much as possible especially on day 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Have 2 really epic routes planned so i hope the weather stays fine. Day 1 has about 2000m of climbing and Day 2 about 3500-4000. Hope the legs will handle it. Will be doing it all at an easy pace and breaking it up as much as possible especially on day 2.

Take pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

I just noticed this, sorry for the necro-bump of sorts... I hike a lot as well as cycling and to date have done two of the 7 summit mountains, Mt. McKinley and Kilimanjaro. Since I've been at altitude a lot I will say BRING DIAMOX! It cures altitude sickness which is common above 1500is metres. Only take it if you need it. As you go higher, take your time more. The higher you get, the thinner the air. Especially when you're exerting a lot. You should be fine though. Just remember to drink more water at altitude.

GOOD LUCK AND TAKE PICS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

NB - Boards.ie cannot offer any medical advice. Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before taking diamox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

if you ascend 2000m at altitude without proper acclimatisation you run a very very probable risk of serious health 'complications'... generally if you ascend a little over 1000m in one day, over 3000m whilst acclimatising, you should be thinking of descending around 500m to sleep that night... high altitude, ie above 4000m (3000m for some if feeling side effects) should be taken very seriously, its usually fine for most people but iv seen very fit very experienced people collapse and get seriously ill and in one case die (at 5000m)... enjoy it but be very attentive to your body, drink gallons of water and discuss how you are feeling with your companions regularly and as the nepalese say 'slowly, slowly, always slowly'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

as the nepalese say 'slowly, slowly, always slowly'

Or if you guys have ever climbed or get around to climbing Kilimanjaro the guides tell you "Polé polé" which means slowly slowly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Have been to the alps hiking on summer hols this past 10 years and with bike this past 5. Never felt anything unusual when going up to 2000m, walking or cycling. I am far from super fit.

Did the Galibier (2630m) this summer and did notice altitude a bit but less than expected when riding tempo, but when I tried to increase speed I was out of breathe in seconds.....and yes I went slowly, slowly.

My understanding from my mountaineering days is that 3000m is considered a threshold where acclimatisation is generally required, Especially if you were planning on staying at the heights mentioned.

Link with report and pics. Didn't get to the high altitude I was hoping to get to but found some interesting routes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89397069#post89397069

Advertisement