Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing style and position of radiator in bathroom

Options
  • 09-09-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been given conflicting advice and would like to get a broader range of opinions.
    I have a normal aluminium radiator in the bathroom under the window.
    I would like to add a second one or a heated towel rack either on the same wall, further along or on another wall.
    Can this be done, sort of like an extension to the pipes of the first rad or do I have to rip up the floor, or the walls? If I have to wreck the bathroom reckon ill do without!
    Bathroom is upstairs, floor and walls fully tiled and the gas boiler is downstairs.
    Thanks. I just want to get a sense re feasibility

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been given conflicting advice and would like to get a broader range of opinions.
    I have a normal aluminium radiator in the bathroom under the window.
    I would like to add a second one or a heated towel rack either on the same wall, further along or on another wall.
    Can this be done, sort of like an extension to the pipes of the first rad or do I have to rip up the floor, or the walls? If I have to wreck the bathroom reckon ill do without!
    Bathroom is upstairs, floor and walls fully tiled and the gas boiler is downstairs.
    Thanks. I just want to get a sense re feasibility

You would need to take a F&R pipe from the existing rad to the new one. The problem is they will be surface on the wall at skirting level, if you can bear looking at them afterwards.
    Where is your hot press? Dose it back onto the bathroom by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

My bath is in the corner and lengthways along the external wall. The window is beyond the end of the bath and the rad is underneath, so the pipes could run along the floor, behind the bath and then up along the wall with the rad hung above the bath on the wall. I'd paint the pipes to match the tiles. And to answer your question, the hot press is is behind the head of the bath, where the taps are.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    My bath is in the corner and lengthways along the external wall. The window is beyond the end of the bath and the rad is underneath, so the pipes could run along the floor, behind the bath and then up along the wall with the rad hung above the bath on the wall. I'd paint the pipes to match the tiles. And to answer your question, the hot press is is behind the head of the bath, where the taps are.

Would I be correct in saying, when you enter the bathroom the hot press is on the L or R with the head of the bath against the back wall of the hot press?

If you could pick up the heating pipes in the hot press might be a better option.
    If you have no hot water circuit on your boiler, you could connect into the F&R feeding the coil if there are no other heating pipes in the hot press.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Post a pic of bathroom/radiator position

It will be easier for any plumbers here to see the bathroom and advize you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Froststop wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying, when you enter the bathroom the hot press is on the L or R with the head of the bath against the back wall of the hot press?

If you could pick up the heating pipes in the hot press might be a better option.
    If you have no hot water circuit on your boiler, you could connect into the F&R feeding the coil if there are no other heating pipes in the hot press.

Connecting a rad to the feed and return to the hotwater coil is something I have considered getting done for my ensuite but assumed it wouldnt be acceptable for some reason.

The bathroom has a radiator but the ensuite does not, as the ensuite has the main shower usage as it takes its hot water from the tank (bathroom shower is electric), in the colder weather the ensuite room is colder and steam condenses on the walls and it stays cold and damp, plus there isnt heat there to dry any hanging towel after.

Is it allowable/acceptable to connect a radiator to the heating circuit of the coil to the tank? It would be convenient as it would mean being able to have a heated rad during the summer when we only use the gas to heat water for hot water use, without having to turn on the other rads.

It would be easier than trying to locate the pipes to the bathroom radiator as its not on a connecting wall so mean not having to tear up the floor as piping could be brought from the hotpress through to under the bath then straight through the wall to the ensuite.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    Connecting a rad to the feed and return to the hotwater coil is something I have considered getting done for my ensuite but assumed it wouldnt be acceptable for some reason.

The bathroom has a radiator but the ensuite does not, as the ensuite has the main shower usage as it takes its hot water from the tank (bathroom shower is electric), in the colder weather the ensuite room is colder and steam condenses on the walls and it stays cold and damp, plus there isnt heat there to dry any hanging towel after.

Is it allowable/acceptable to connect a radiator to the heating circuit of the coil to the tank? It would be convenient as it would mean being able to have a heated rad during the summer when we only use the gas to heat water for hot water use, without having to turn on the other rads.

It would be easier than trying to locate the pipes to the bathroom radiator as its not on a connecting wall so mean not having to tear up the floor as piping could be brought from the hotpress through to under the bath then straight through the wall to the ensuite.

You can connect to the F&R of the coil but it will only heat if you have your boiler heating hot water if you have hot water circuit. Note there may also be other heating pipes off a heating circuit in the hot press depending on the way it was plumbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Froststop wrote: »
    You can connect to the F&R of the coil but it will only heat if you have your boiler heating hot water if you have hot water circuit. Note there may also be other heating pipes off a heating circuit in the hot press depending on the way it was plumbed.

Ok, thanks, I realise it will only heat if the hot water to the tank is on, but after reading a post above, the idea I was thinking of was, if the shower is needed there will need to be hot water, and even if the summer valve feeding the other rads is off,the ensuite rad will be hot even in the summer to dry towels and help with the humidity after the shower is used in the winter, as that room doesnt heat up and you cant leave the door open or steam goes out into the bedroom.

Originally, I was thinking that I could get an ensuite rad plumbed into the bathroom rad but it would be awkward where the rad there is already and have to come under the floor and mean doing work in both rooms, also neither would come on anyway in the summer to dry towels if the rads were off.
    I was thinking of adding thermostatic rad valves around the house, during the summer turn most of them all down low or off if possible and leave the bathroom/ensuite ones open. I saw some really cheap ones in B&Q, Im not sure if they'd be ok, but Im thinking of holding off on that until I get the boiler upgraded, but that wont be for a while.

Advertisement