Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get value from gas boiler

Options
  • 10-09-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I have a Baxi Boiler Megaflow HE IE but do not have a thermostat

What is the cheapest way to have the house warm? is it better to have it on low for a long period or high for short period. With my other boiler i found it better to have it on low for a long period.

The Baxi can be set so that it comes on and goes off. Is that as good as thermostat like this? How is that fitted? how is the sensor placed outdoors?

Can anyone advise on anything i can do to have the house heated and bills withing reason. i prefer it comfortable than really warm. i can post a pic of the controls if necessary

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

alyssum wrote: »
    I have a Baxi Boiler Megaflow HE IE but do not have a thermostat

What is the cheapest way to have the house warm? is it better to have it on low for a long period or high for short period. With my other boiler i found it better to have it on low for a long period.

The Baxi can be set so that it comes on and goes off. Is that as good as thermostat like this? How is that fitted? how is the sensor placed outdoors?

Can anyone advise on anything i can do to have the house heated and bills withing reason. i prefer it comfortable than really warm. i can post a pic of the controls if necessary

Thanks

I take it the boiler is controlled by time clock only?
    That Lcd is only a sensor and will not control your boiler.
    It's a room stat your looking for to shut off the boiler when the room temp is at the required temp.

Regarding running the boiler on a low temp:
    If it's too low it may run longer trying to keep up with the heat loss from the rads. The house might still feel cold. Standard temp for boiler would be around 65 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

Froststop wrote: »
    I take it the boiler is controlled by time clock only?
    That Lcd is only a sensor and will not control your boiler.
    It's a room stat your looking for to shut off the boiler when the room temp is at the required temp.

Regarding running the boiler on a low temp:
    If it's too low it may run longer trying to keep up with the heat loss from the rads. The house might still feel cold. Standard temp for boiler would be around 65 degrees.
    not sure what you mean. My boiler can be pit on a timer but i just manually switch on and off. yes you are right it is a room stat I want

not sure what you mean. My boiler can be pit on a timer but i just manually switch on and off. yes you are right it is a room stat I want

Which part don't you understand?

Which part don't you understand?
    Do you mean my boiler is on a timer? It has one but i do not use it

And could you suggest a room stat? Thanks

Do you mean my boiler is on a timer? It has one but i do not use it

And could you suggest a room stat? Thanks

Any room stat will do. You will pick one up at any plumbing/electrical supply shop.

You will need an electrician to fit it for you.

• Advertisement

Any room stat will do. You will pick one up at any plumbing/electrical supply shop.

You will need an electrician to fit it for you.
    thanks.
    ok does the current boiler temp relate to the room temp and or the rad temp?

this is the one i have what is the light at top right in the second drawing on top line?

Also is the symbol of the rad/tap showing vthe rads acnnot be heated separate to hot water?

thanks.
    ok does the current boiler temp relate to the room temp and or the rad temp?

this is the one i have what is the light at top right in the second drawing on top line?

Also is the symbol of the rad/tap showing vthe rads acnnot be heated separate to hot water?

Set the boiler to around 65. When you have the room stat fitted, set the room stat to your required room temp 18-20 usually. When the room temp reaches the required temp, the room stat will switch off boiler. the boiler will stay off until the room stat looks for heat/when the room temp drops a couple of degrees.
    Fit the room stat some where central in the house & out of direct sunlight.

The rad/tap is for using the boiler to heat hot water or rads. If you have no room stat or zones I don't think that option is set up.

Set the boiler to around 65. When you have the room stat fitted, set the room stat to your required room temp 18-20 usually. When the room temp reaches the required temp, the room stat will switch off boiler. the boiler will stay off until the room stat looks for heat/when the room temp drops a couple of degrees.
    Fit the room stat some where central in the house & out of direct sunlight.

The rad/tap is for using the boiler to heat hot water or rads. If you have no room stat or zones I don't think that option is set up.
    ok thanks for your help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Wireless thermostats are also available if its not too easy to run cables from the stat location to the boiler , you can also get wireless programmable thermostats

sullzz wrote: »
    Wireless thermostats are also available if its not too easy to run cables from the stat location to the boiler , you can also get wireless programmable thermostats

Good thinking sullzz, forgot about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

If you going for a hard wired room stat, make sure they wire it with a neutral & not just a live in live out.
    No neutral no anticipator.
    No anticipator no accuracy.
    Most electricians only wire them with twin brown & earth. It must be 4 core.
    I would get an RGI to install it as they will have a better understanding of what it will be doing & where it should be located.

sullzz wrote: »
    how much would a wireless one be

how much would a wireless one be

Decent ones about €80 + vodka & tonic.
    Make sure it's frequency is 868Hz which is a pulse frequency rather than a continuous frequency. If not, it will be interfered with by every other wireless system around you.

shane0007 wrote: »
    If you going for a hard wired room stat, make sure they wire it with a neutral & not just a live in live out.
    No neutral no anticipator.
    No anticipator no accuracy.
    Most electricians only wire them with twin brown & earth. It must be 4 core.
    I would get an RGI to install it as they will have a better understanding of what it will be doing & where it should be located.
    are RGI's allowed thought it must be electrician?

are RGI's allowed thought it must be electrician?

Yes RGI's are allowed. The radio ads are slightly misleading as the new law only refers to working within the fuse board or consumer unit.
    RGI's who have their GID are certified for electrical minor works which relates to working on circuits fed from a spur.
    This includes wiring a complete heating system from a spur.

thanks guys very helpful

As an expriment i left the heating on one hours and from reading found it used a unit. Is this a guide, unit per hour. It was at 6 o'clock on the dial

Advertisement