Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting off Yoga

Options
  • 04-03-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hello!

Just a quick question on starting off with Yoga.

I've done a small bit of home exercises & stretching to help with back pain I've been encountering. So I'm hoping to take the plunge and start attending classes to make sure I have proper form etc.

What I would like to know is - how often per week would you advise practicing yoga starting off? Bearing in mind that I intend on training roughly 6 times per week between gym work and Gaelic football - yoga is to supplement this training

Additionally, would you guys suggest that, after initial beginner classes, if my back pain is being relieved, continuing the classes or returning to practicing at home?

TIA for any advice
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

If you can go twice a week it would be great. Otherwise if you can only go once week if you did a short practice (15min) at home and went once a week it would benefit. I go twice a week as I need the stretching.

I would keep up a class until you have a good practice sorted.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

The most important practice is the practice you do at home.

One reason for this is that in time, ideally we should practice every single day.... even if just for 10 to 20 minutes. This has always been advised in the ancient texts on yoga as being one of the most important things... daily persistent practice... rather than once or twice per week.

However i would concur with Pembily's reply to first try to go to a class once or twice per week.

It is really important that you practice with a very experienced teacher who will take the time to investigate the problem with your back, and who will work with you to find out the best practices to help improve your back. And when you are practising at the start they can make sure your alignment is correct, and make sure you are using the correct amount of effort rather than forcing or working too hard.

And also hopefully teach you the correct breathing practices and mind focussing techniques, so that you will also get the other benefits of yoga...as well as helping improve your back.

It is the answer to your second question..... that the advice would be try try to keep up your own home practice as ultimately this is the key to progress.

There is more useful information about your home practice at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-practice-environmen/

The other question that you have not mentioned is which form of yoga to take up in order to improve a back problem.

And this raises a much bigger question as to what exactly type of back problem you are trying to remedy, as the answer on what type of yoga would be best will depend on exactly what type of problem you have with your back.

If you would like any more specific advice, the factors which are important include
    what age are you
    where exactly are you getting the pain in your back (lower or upper back, in the middle or more to the side, more on one side than the other.... right across the lower back)
    what type of pain (shooting/ache)
    what brings on the pain
    is it worse in the morning getting out of bed or later in the day
    how long have you had the pain
    did you have an accident that brought it on first
    what are your other reasons for taking up yoga (relaxation/fitness/meditation/spiritual/general well being)

As this is a public forum you are welcome to contact me off-line using my email address rather than discussing
    these things here.

I am just posting this, so that you and others know that it is really important to consider these factors before selecting which form of yoga to take up when you are doing this to improve a problem with your
    back.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

burrenyoga wrote: »
    The most important practice is the practice you do at home.

One reason for this is that in time, ideally we should practice every single day.... even if just for 10 to 20 minutes. This has always been advised in the ancient texts on yoga as being one of the most important things... daily persistent practice... rather than once or twice per week.

I've been hitting the gym most mornings and after doing some cycling to warm up I do a good amount of stretching and core work - using stretches from Yoga DVDs I've looked at. They certainly help and stretching more and more has definitely helped.

It is really important that you practice with a very experienced teacher who will take the time to investigate the problem with your back, and who will work with you to find out the best practices to help improve your back. And when you are practising at the start they can make sure your alignment is correct, and make sure you are using the correct amount of effort rather than forcing or working too hard.

That's why I want to head to the classes - not sure I'm doing everything correctly myself. The classes come recommended by my physio so hoping to head this Saturday to a beginners class.

The other question that you have not mentioned is which form of yoga to take up in order to improve a back problem.

And this raises a much bigger question as to what exactly type of back problem you are trying to remedy, as the answer on what type of yoga would be best will depend on exactly what type of problem you have with your back.

If you would like any more specific advice, the factors which are important include
    what age are you
    where exactly are you getting the pain in your back (lower or upper back, in the middle or more to the side, more on one side than the other.... right across the lower back)
    what type of pain (shooting/ache)
    what brings on the pain
    is it worse in the morning getting out of bed or later in the day
    how long have you had the pain
    did you have an accident that brought it on first
    what are your other reasons for taking up yoga (relaxation/fitness/meditation/spiritual/general well being)

I'm 24 and had lower back trouble that has annoyed me since 2009, prior to this I never really had trouble with my back but suffered numerous hamstring injuries which were related to my back.

My physio has put it down to a curve in my lower spine that needs to be improved with core work which I've done plenty of - however my posture is the main cause I feel.

The reason I want to take it up is to allow me to play better at football, be free from tightness in my back and therefore play with more freedom.

Like I said, I'm going to take up a beginners class on Saturday and see how I get on. Looking forward to it now :)

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Advertisement