Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Hero- RTE 1

• 16-05-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Wow, Irelands answer to the Naked Chef-
    Singer/Blogger/Cook-What cant this guy do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What cant this guy do!

Disappear up his own arse unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

feckin camera work was shyte. i'm sure it was nice food and all, but couldn't watch that staccato shyte every 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I thought I was having a serious of minor strokes--Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Bloody awful show! seemed like it was trying to be naked chef but he aint no Jamie Oliver! why dont rte pilot these awful shows? Ive actually never written something so close to a show finishing. Decent cook though!...god awful show though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Fair play to him though..he was shinier than that pan after he put in that oil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

The camera work was awful. Hate all that waving around. I did buy his cook book and its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

All this was missing was Alison O'Riordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

He looked like he was a sex slave trying to cook his way to freedom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Awful stuff, nice food, nice lad but total ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

I have to say, poor production. And the food! my god, an Irish Naked Chef he is not. Crumble ffs? You can make simple food but it doesn't have to be boring. Food for people that find it hard to boil an egg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Buscuits

Frei wrote: »
    Food for people that find it hard to boil an egg.

In this example I use egg size Large.
    Get saucepan and put cold water in it until egg (s) are totally submerged.
    Bring to boil.
    As soon as egg (s) starts to slightly "jump" or large bubbles appear start your countdown timer to 3 minutes.
    On 1 minute 30 seconds roll egg (s) over gently in saucepan to make sure cooking consistancy is perfect.
    Once 3 minutes is over, take egg (s) out and place in eggcup (s), topping instantly.
    The white (s) should be hard and the yolk (s)runny.
    Season as desired.

Disclaimer:
    Depending on the hardnessof your water or size of egg, cooking time may vary, you may have to try a few times to get the result that suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

He just comes across as a smug and smarmy hipster, definitely not someone I want to watch cooking. He probably should of waited until he was older to launch his television career, dire viewing figures now will make it difficult to get another show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Glad I'm the not the only one that thought it was terrible.
    A 23 year old telling you that "If you're just too busy to spend too much time in the kitchen, here's a great recipe for the busy 20 something surfer!" :rolleyes:

It was just trying too hard to be the Naked Chef. Just do something original RTE!
    All that "uber cool" lifestyle nonsense that every cookery programme nowadays feels the need to include is just cringey.

Wánky camera work, wánky friends, boring food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Glad I'm the not the only one that thought it was terrible.
    A 23 year old telling you that "If you're just too busy to spend too much time in the kitchen, here's a great recipe for the busy 20 something surfer!" :rolleyes:

It was just trying too hard to be the Naked Chef. Just do something original RTE!
    All that "uber cool" lifestyle nonsense that every cookery programme nowadays feels the need to include is just cringey.

Wánky camera work, wánky friends, boring food.

Totally agree.How long ago was it that Jamie Oliver came out with this schtick? At least 10 years ago I'd say.That was annoying but at least it was original at the time.This guy will do anything to be famous it seems.He was in a Boy Band apparently. RTE seem more than happy to facilitate him in his quest for stardom.Who does he know I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Did any of you try the recipes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Bwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...recipes??

Err no...I couldn't find any surfers to cook for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grumpypig

I bet this idiot is related to someone in RTE,, who is MUMMY and DADDY I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The camera work on this IS really annoying.. Every time he grabs a can of beans from the press, the camera zooms in on it.. or turns on the heat under a pan... We trust him that they ARE in fact beans, and that he has turned on the heat.. The camera man is following him like a private detective..

And what did the "hero" make tonight... soup, and glorified rice crispy buns... Will somebody just give this kid a football, and tell him to go out and play in the sun ffs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The cooking is okay but why do we need 10 minutes of strangers walking up a hill , or surfing or whatever .The camera work is dreadful and the swooping in and out a real turn off .And is he not a bit long in the tooth to have a quiff like a pre pubescent boy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can RTE never look beyond certain areas of South Dublin for ideas and presenters?

• Advertisement

What about Dáithí Ó Sé!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Just caught the end of this last night.. Saw the peanut butter squares.. The other stuff sounded nice but yer man is a bit of a sap..

But hey so is Jamie Oliver and look at the the fortune he's built up.. PUCKA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I liked the first episode but his stuff all seems to be the same. Does he ever stay at home or is he just so popular he cooks for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dovies wrote: »
    I liked the first episode but his stuff all seems to be the same. Does he ever stay at home or is he just so popular he cooks for everyone!

It's the same on Barefoot Contessa. She always seems to cooking for other people. Both she and Jamie Oliver have been doing it for years and at this stage it really is a tired concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I switched off once i saw peanut butter go in the pot, it looked like the results of a heavy night on the sauce :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did he actually train as a chef?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did he actually train as a chef?

From wikipedia:
    Donal Skehan, a vocalist with Industry was born in Dublin, Ireland on 3 June 1986. In 2006, he was an original member of the global / international boyband project Streetwize with fellow band member Lee Hutton and toured with the band in Ireland, UK, Sweden and the United States. He also appeared on the US television station CN8 with Streetwize members Lee Hutton, Lee Mulhern and Swedish Jonathan Fagerlund promoting the band project.[7]

After quitting the band, he became an announcer on the Bubble Hits station broadcasting music and entertainment news and celebrity gossip segments. On 23 February 2008, he tried to represent Ireland in the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest with the song "Double Cross My Heart"[8][9] composed by Joel Humlen, Oscar Gorres and Charlie Mason.[10] Donal Skehan has also authored a cookbook entitled Good Mood Food[11] and keeps a regular blog on food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Quit the band, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

He's 25 ... I thought he was about 16

Ok but give me Martin & Rory from Kinsale any day ... love the bit of fish :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The presenter is like a 21st century Eoin McLove.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looks like a right prat, i could not bring myself to watch the show because i know i would end out giving out about it all night:D

He's very cute, very enviable hair and you really should try out one of his recipes and see

I tried one of his pasta dishes and it was only amazin, much to my horror!
    cos I had wanted to hate him too but.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whatever you think about the guy and the program itself, it ticks all the boxes as far as RTE is concerned because it's (1) home produced and (2) low budget.

When you're advertising revenue has collapsed and you're competing against the BBC and the other UK and cable channels, what do you expect - a costume drama along the lines of Downton Abbey filmed in Slane Castle with a cast and crew of hundreds?

Get real folks, this is as good as you're going to get from RTE for the foreseeable future.

coylemj wrote: »
    a costume drama filmed in Slane Castle with a cast and crew of hundreds?

True true, I have to say I was very excitied about your idea about an Irish costume drama set in slane castle with a cast & crew of hundreds though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

coylemj wrote: »
    Whatever you think about the guy and the program itself, it ticks all the boxes as far as RTE is concerned because it's (1) home produced and (2) low budget.

When you're advertising revenue has collapsed and you're competing against the BBC and the other UK and cable channels, what do you expect - a costume drama along the lines of Downton Abbey filmed in Slane Castle with a cast and crew of hundreds?

Get real folks, this is as good as you're going to get from RTE for the foreseeable future.
    In fairness though, RTE were producing sh1te like this all the way through the good times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I tried watching it the other night but couldn't ..the camera is so all over the place it would make you dizzy and his voice is irritating.
    I much prefer his goodmoodfoodblog - find its excellent for recipe ideas that don't need a lot of ingredients and all evening to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

And what's the story with the grotty cottage he "lives" in?? At least Jamie Oliver had a super trendy bachelor pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

youngblood wrote: »
    He's very cute, very enviable hair and you really should try out one of his recipes and see

I tried one of his pasta dishes and it was only amazin, much to my horror!
    cos I had wanted to hate him too but.......

its not your show is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

Give the guy a break. I watched a few episodes and it wasn't all that bad. I too thought he looked about 16 but he looks like a handy cook and I didn't find the camera work that distracting.

I don't care for boybands, I don't know who Industry are and, for me, it was just a show with a kid cooking stuff. What he did, he did well. To be honest it's a lot better than watching Rachel Allen doing her posh totty/faux Nigella bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

squonk wrote: »
    To be honest it's a lot better than watching Rachel Allen doing her posh totty/faux Nigella bit.

I think I agree with that.
    But it still follows that almost all RTE programmes are half-baked copies of British ones. The only two cookery shows that are original are the guy from Fishy Fishy (it's a shame the only flavouring he's heard of is butter) and Darina Allen the boarding school matron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement