Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Live8 act so far

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pink Floyd are one of the best bands in history, I can understand why people might not LIKE them but how you can call them 'over-rated' is beyond me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

OFDM, I'm afraid that Music has called and said it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

pink floyd by a mile
    absolutely amazing, wish you were here was pure class, and comfortably numb excellent also.
    rte2 was about 15mins behind bbc1 at the end, so i watched em on the beeb, then flicked back to watch it again on rte :)
    slightly disappointed by the who, especially since evertime pete townshend went to do his really cool windmill move it flicked to an overview of the drummer...wtf was up with that ???
    not as good as i'd hoped tho.

also excellent kaiser chiefs, green day (minority dragged a big tho), velvet revolver, u2, sterophonics and more i cant remember

funniest thing was during linkin parks set it showed a view of the crowd - a group of white chicks screaming along with the song, standing right beside a group of black chicks who had the best 'damn fool white girls' look ever :)

hey jude at the end was a bit of a let down, shoulda picked something a bit better than that....long and winding road was really cool tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I was expecting the Keith Floyd backlash. Perhaps "over-rated" is the wrong phrase - more like "over-hyped".

I hadn't really heard them before tonight and didn't think their songs were all that amazing tbh. I'm not saying they're rubbish, they just didn't blow me away.

It's a bit like people hyping "Lost" and then finding the first 3 episodes are not that great.

pyure wrote:
    drummer...wtf was up with that ???
    The drummer was either Oasis's former drummer Alan White or his brother former Pete Weller drummer Steve White (not to be confused with the more-famous and more-talented American drummer Steve White).

Neither of the White brothers are up to much drumming wise.

[edit]Just realised you were talking about the "windmill move" but the drummer was crap anyway...[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ofdm,
    if you had any of their albums and listened to them, you would realise how magical they were last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

ODFM - If you haven't even heard any Pink Floyd albums then please do us a favour and keep your opinions to yourself. You can't form a valid opinion when you haven't a clue.

Pink Floyd proved themselves as probably the greatest band to have graced the planet last night.

U2? Biggest band in the world? they are wannabes compared to the Floyd.

My life is now complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OFDM wrote:
    The drummer was either Oasis's former drummer Alan White or his brother former Pete Weller drummer Steve White (not to be confused with the more-famous and more-talented American drummer Steve White).

Neither of the White brothers are up to much drumming wise.
    It was Steve White, and he's not crap! He's a bit more 'song-serving' than the average drummer, and just because he doesn't go rolling around the kit every nano-second doesn't mean that he's crap.

The best drummer I've seen play with The Who was Simon Phillips.

It was nice to see Townshend actually play the electric guitar instead of just standing there strumming a semi-acoustic and relegating duties to a session-man.

But I think it ceased to be The Who after John Entwhistle died. His contribution to the band live was always sadly unrated and overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

It would have been amusing if it was Alan White as Zak Starkey (drummed for them on their last tour) was playing with Oasis at the City of Manchester stadium at the same time.

• Advertisement

It was Steve White, and he's not crap! He's a bit more 'song-serving' than the average drummer, and just because he doesn't go rolling around the kit every nano-second doesn't mean that he's crap.
    He's limited in his ability. He played "Who are you?" wrong and he's not capable of replicating Keith Moon's dynamic playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Robbie must've been one of the best, I only got to see bout half of it all. I'm sorry I missed the stereophonics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

damnit

i missed it all. i wanted to see Pink Floyd and Velvet Revolver so much. anyone know if there will be a sort of best of type show on tv or if even a dvd will be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pearl666

The Who and Pink Floyd...too bad the Who didn't play My Generation...kind of a let down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

i reckon it will be repeated on mtv definitely, band by band if not right through.. and probably on net2 or whichever irish channel had it-for a long time to come!!
    wasnt mad about velvet revolver but wasnt into their stuff before anyway! Pink Floyd were good, maybe built up too much...?
    I thought Robbie put on a great show, maybe a bit vain(!!)
    Anyone else think that Live 8 was the wrong place to play a song for the first time ??(Scissorsisters)

Pearl666 wrote:
    The Who and Pink Floyd...too bad the Who didn't play My Generation...kind of a let down
    I'm glad they didn't. It's such a clichè now in their set, a bunch of 60-somethings singing the line "Hope I die before I get old".

The songs they did play were more apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Mossy Monk wrote:
    damnit

i missed it all. i wanted to see Pink Floyd and Velvet Revolver so much. anyone know if there will be a sort of best of type show on tv or if even a dvd will be released?

Last night MTV were showing various acts, so watch out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

OFDM wrote:
    He's limited in his ability. He played "Who are you?" wrong and he's not capable of replicating Keith Moon's dynamic playing.
    "Who are you" sounded fine to me. I thought The Who were far better than they were at Live Aid. They seemed better rehearsed and the drummer was better than the drummer they had at Live Aid. Anyone who expects any drummer to replicate Keith Moon's playing is going to be disappointed. In his later years, even Moon himself couldn't replicate his earlier playing :)

OFDM wrote:
    Keith Moon only got by in the last few years of his life.

I've read Tony Fletcher's excellent biography of Moon and his drumming was so bad by the time that they were recording 'Who are You' that Townshend threatened to kick him out. This was in the last year of his life.

I've heard the demo sessions for 'Who are You' and he stunk initially, but the threat of him being ousted from the band made him get his act together. It took a lot of work for him to get the final drum track down for that album.

Moon was very inconsistant as a drummer, when he was good he was good, and when he was bad he was truly awful. I've heard a lot of live bootlegs from their post Tommy period from about 1972 to 1975 and he really couldn't keep time to save his life, even Entwhistle said as much. When Kenny Jones joined, he said "at least we have a drummer who can keep a rythym".

He did do some fantastic stuff, but on the whole I wouldn't put him up there with the greats. He was more of a showman.

BrianD3 wrote:
    "Who are you" sounded fine to me. I thought The Who were far better than they were at Live Aid. They seemed better rehearsed and the drummer was better than the drummer they had at Live Aid.
    They sucked big time at Live Aid, Kenney Jones is a good drummer, but was never suited to their type of music. Townshend and Daltrey weren't on speaking terms then either.

The drummer who played with Joss Stone is ex-Prince's NPG. Now there's a great drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Quality performance from Pink Floyd and I can't believe The Killers only got one song.

Madonna was fantastic, and The Kaiser Chiefs in Philly were cool too.

Robbie Williams was a good showman, but a bit self centred.

Maria Carey :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it was brilliant when floyd played comfotably numb. take that Scissor Sisters!!! i was delighted when they got such a good reception from the whole crowd. they might be lookin old but they can still do it better than anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

REM were there too!? Another band I like I missed. I missed Muse and Audiosalve too, anyone know if they'll be repeated?

I got to see the Floyd and The Cure though... both fantastic acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Cure played aswell?

is there a full list of who played anywhere

BrianD3 wrote:
    "Who are you" sounded fine to me. I thought The Who were far better than they were at Live Aid. They seemed better rehearsed and the drummer was better than the drummer they had at Live Aid. Anyone who expects any drummer to replicate Keith Moon's playing is going to be disappointed. In his later years, even Moon himself couldn't replicate his earlier playing :)
    Any decent drummer could replicate it easily, think Jimmy Chamberlin, Danny Carey, Kenny Aronoff, Terry Bozzio, Dave Weckl, the american Steve Smith. Whoever did the drumming for the CSI version did it brilliantly, english Steve Smith just hacked his way through it.

Phil Collins was the Live Aid drummer, he made a balls of Led Zeppelin's set.

The sound for most of the acts wasn't that great yesterday, however it was a big improvement over Live Aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Robbie Williams and Green Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mossy Monk wrote:
    damniti missed it all. i wanted to see Pink Floyd and Velvet Revolver so much. anyone know if there will be a sort of best of type show on tv or if even a dvd will be released?

Mossy Monk, BBC3 are showing selected repeats each evening at 8pm this week. Each programme lasts an hour. EMI have the DVD rights and if I remember correctly they will release them in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

just found out maroon 5 did 'rocking in the free world' which i thought would have been a perfect song for someone to do, must try to catch it on tv sometime.

defo buying the dvd when it comes out, so may acts i missed :( esp. audioslave - could here them playing 'like a stone' in the background during on of jonathon ross' many and pointless interviews on the beeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

pyure wrote:
    defo buying the dvd when it comes out, so may acts i missed :( esp. audioslave - could here them playing 'like a stone' in the background during on of jonathon ross' many and pointless interviews on the beeb.
    I saw them on RTÉ's coverage at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I cant really comment because I didn't see Pink Floyd (Im going to die if I dont see the highlights of that), but of what I've seen, its definately a toss up between REM and Green Day! I'd probably pick REM though!

Really annoyed Radiohead weren't playing at Live8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Pink Floyd were simply amazing. <3
    The Who were damn good as well.
    Outside of those two, I thought that Green Day were superb in Berlin. Did they play a set in London as well, or was I just imagining that? :-/

Destiny's Child in Philadelphia were great as well........ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Pink Floyd were the best by a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 redraider

Robbie Williams

The Entertainer

Read this quote somewhere about him:
    " Women want to s**g him, Men want to be him "

True, as a hetero male, wouldnt mind being him for a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

redraider wrote:
    Robbie Williams

The Entertainer

Read this quote somewhere about him:
    " Women want to s**g him, Men want to be him "

True, as a hetero male, wouldnt mind being him for a while :D

That was originally said about Sean Connery in his James Bond days and modified for use by Rob's publicity team.

Advertisement