Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

Options
  • 31-05-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

How are people doing on Q1? The only one I know is the strip foundation have to try learn the rest, anyone have any advice on which ones are likely to come up as I cant learn everyone in two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

How are people doing on Q1? The only one I know is the strip foundation have to try learn the rest, anyone have any advice on which ones are likely to come up as I cant learn everyone in two weeks.

Only the strip? Have you not done them in class religiously? .. I'd really cram the sh*t out of them drawings if I were you because literally anything could come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

FatRat wrote: »
    Only the strip? Have you not done them in class religiously? .. I'd really cram the sh*t out of them drawings if I were you because literally anything could come up.

No we havnt I learned the strip on my own easily. I dont think theres enough time though theres at least ten that can come up I just want to see what people think are more likely to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

No we havnt I learned the strip on my own easily. I dont think theres enough time though theres at least ten that can come up I just want to see what people think are more likely to come up.

That's poor by your teacher IMO... What I think are priority are a casement window (one that opens), roof (trussed and cut), door, chimney through a roof and a suspended timber floor. Makes sure you know the timber frame constructions too

That's poor by your teacher IMO... What I think are priority are a casement window (one that opens), roof (trussed and cut), door, chimney through a roof and a suspended timber floor. Makes sure you know the timber frame constructions too
    Thanks

constructionstudiesq1.weebly.com does this website have the ones you are referring too? Sorry I cant post full link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Nicke011 wrote: »
    This might be helpful :)
    Thanks, I dont see stairs coming up 2 years running do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what is everyone else doing for the other questions ?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    what is everyone else doing for the other questions ?

I'm going to do the U value, the question 10 essay (usually on sustainable housing ) and health and safety if it comes up or a redesigning of house question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I wouldn't be relying on a health and safety question at higher level as a banker of a question to answer, it disappeared a few years ago for a while but I feel it only came up last year due to the difficulty of the paper and the questions.

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    I wouldn't be relying on a health and safety question at higher level as a banker of a question to answer, it disappeared a few years ago for a while but I feel it only came up last year due to the difficulty of the paper and the questions.

what would u say would be likely and what areas should i go over in the last few days ?

Apart from the ones discussed in the previous thread that appear to be coming up regularly eg u values q3 q6 q10 there is no way of telling. Everything else is guess work. I spoke to another teacher the other day who had a completely different opinion on what might be coming up.
    As I said before there is also no guarantee that the above ones will come up either.

thanks for last years question 7 i never know we had to know how to draw a stove

the drawings I've learned:

-strip foundation
    -suspended timber ground floor
    -timber frame foundation
    -cut roof slate + tile
    -truss roof slate+ tile
    -fire place detail concrete ground floor
    -fire place detail suspended timber ground floor
    -window head and sill brick outer leaf
    -door threshold
    -timber frame head, sill and first floor
    -concrete window head and sill

any other ones you guys think 'might come up' or have I covered all the main ones? (remember last year 'stairs' came up and so we can expect an easy one this year im guessing)

for the long questions I wish to do:

-Q1 (obviously)

-U-value

-passive house (relying on passive foundations, MHRV system, how it works and advantages and disadvantages)

-Sustainability

-hot water distribution (single line diagram)

(possibly if I panic or one of the questions are not as expected) I can do:

-site safety

-Q7 (if it applies to the drawings I learned)

any suggestions on any other topics I should cover will be greatly appriciated

the drawings I've learned:

-strip foundation
    -suspended timber ground floor
    -timber frame foundation
    -cut roof slate + tile
    -truss roof slate+ tile
    -fire place detail concrete ground floor
    -fire place detail suspended timber ground floor
    -window head and sill brick outer leaf
    -door threshold
    -timber frame head, sill and first floor
    -concrete window head and sill

any other ones you guys think 'might come up' or have I covered all the main ones? (remember last year 'stairs' came up and so we can expect an easy one this year im guessing)

for the long questions I wish to do:

-Q1 (obviously)

-U-value

-passive house (relying on passive foundations, MHRV system, how it works and advantages and disadvantages)

-Sustainability

-hot water distribution (single line diagram)

(possibly if I panic or one of the questions are not as expected) I can do:

-site safety

-Q7 (if it applies to the drawings I learned)

any suggestions on any other topics I should cover will be greatly appriciated

what about sewage hot water came up last year so i dont think it will come up again
    and what about a chimney through a roof

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nicke011 wrote: »

Couple of comments

It's a newel post, not new post.
    Gauge is spelt with a u
    The scale of your lintels is a bit off. Draw them the same size as your window head.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Couple of comments

It's a newel post, not new post.
    Gauge is spelt with a u
    The scale of your lintels is a bit off. Draw them the same size as your window head.

Thanks for corrections :) I'm not English native speaker
    All drawings are free hand, they are just quick reminders, I have all of them drawn to scale on A3 & A2 sheets

has a flat roof ever come up do we need to know it ?

Can't remember if it has been asked think it has but yes it is on the course

has a flat roof ever come up do we need to know it ?

came up in OL paper but not in HL

• Advertisement

came up in OL paper but not in HL

much point in doing it?

what else do i need to go over i have done
    MHRV
    drainage/sewage
    passivhaus
    wheelchair

Drawings i have done is
    window sill/head timber frame and block
    chimney through roof
    abutment
    cut roof
    truss roof
    threshold
    fireplace
    suspended floor

what else is there that i would need to do ?

much point in doing it?

what else do i need to go over i have done
    MHRV
    drainage/sewage
    passivhaus
    wheelchair

Drawings i have done is
    window sill/head timber frame and block
    chimney through roof
    abutment
    cut roof
    truss roof
    threshold
    fireplace
    suspended floor

what else is there that i would need to do ?

nah I doubt it will come up I didn't learn it myself

what's "abutment" drawing :S never heard of it

anyways in addition to your drawings do:
    timber frame foundation

other wise it's the exact same drawings I done

timber frame foundation

it a lean to roof to a wall

timber frame foundation

what about the other questions what else do i need to do
    i am hoping for a nice enough q7 seen it was a bit random last year with a stove never even knew we had to know that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I said it before, and I'll say it again, don't let the drawings throw ye. Taking for example the chimney in Q7 last year. They wanted a stove I think it was at the fireplace, and a flue liner or something, can't exactly remember. They will be out to try and put a twist on the conventional drawings, so be prepared. In the past it was simple basic drawings, but they are changing that. As long as ye know the main structure of the question, then you won't fair too bad - and if you get completely stuck with these "twists" then just make an educated guess - better than leaving it out altogether, you never know how close you might be!

I said it before, and I'll say it again, don't let the drawings throw ye. Taking for example the chimney in Q7 last year. They wanted a stove I think it was at the fireplace, and a flue liner or something, can't exactly remember. They will be out to try and put a twist on the conventional drawings, so be prepared. In the past it was simple basic drawings, but they are changing that. As long as ye know the main structure of the question, then you won't fair too bad - and if you get completely stuck with these "twists" then just make an educated guess - better than leaving it out altogether, you never know how close you might be!

do they allow for a certain degree of error in measurements and design say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

do they allow for a certain degree of error in measurements and design say

Yes for certain drawings there are numerous slightly different ways to doing it. Different books have slightly different measurements, so there is a tolerance. Take for example the cavity wall. It used to be 100 block, 100 cavity and 100 block, the cavity was then 60 insulation. Now it's supposed to be 150 cavity with 100 insulation. Both are still accepted.

what about the other questions what else do i need to do
    i am hoping for a nice enough q7 seen it was a bit random last year with a stove never even knew we had to know that

oh yh forgot to mention learn U-Values (you didn't include it in your list) the U-Value question is the easiest of them all and it takes 10 -15 mins to do only (biggest time saver ever)

I don't know why people are saying U-Values might not come up because it's been coming up year by year since 1985 and they are hardly gonna stop it this year

oh yh forgot to mention learn U-Values (you didn't include it in your list) the U-Value question is the easiest of them all and it takes 10 -15 mins to do only (biggest time saver ever)

I don't know why people are saying U-Values might not come up because it's been coming up year by year since 1985 and they are hardly gonna stop it this year

oh ya forgot about that i have that done i think i will just be going over the drawing look at site safety and heating

• Advertisement

last years u value was a bit different tho with its part b

Advertisement