Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ikea Xmas Tree's only €25 (Get €20 voucher)

• 30-11-2015 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

While we were all distracted with Black Friday IKEA sneaked in the usual Xmas Tree deal except this year you get better value - it was €30 previously now only €25 plus the €20 voucher - link below

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/ikea/christmas-trees/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Did anyone get this tree before, are they nice? Size?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Saw them yesterday. They looked the part. I was raging I had no space in the car to carry it. For the price and the voucher that's an amazing bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The ones I saw were awful. Small, and essentially bare from half way up. You'd be better off letting a large nettle grow in your garden all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Bought them for the last two years, they are small and well formed. in my experience its hard to pick a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭eimsRV

pjproby wrote: »
    Bought them for the last two years, they are small and well formed. in my experience its hard to pick a bad one.

I've had the same experience the last two years, will be getting mine there this year again hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

The ones I saw were awful. Small, and essentially bare from half way up. You'd be better off letting a large nettle grow in your garden all year.

It depends on your luck of catching them when the orders have just been delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

muckety wrote: »
    Did anyone get this tree before, are they nice? Size?

They are imported trees, so they've been cut a while. No smell off them and it will be as dry and brown as kindling come Christmas day - if it even gets that far. I threw mine out the week before Christmas last year. And I did water it before anyone asks.

Not worth the €25 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Completely disagree with oppenheimer... ive had these last 2 years, and last year from 30th November. Didnt dry up or go bad before Xmas day (in fact was only a bit crispy come Jan 6th...) and well, well, well worth the 25 euro.

Note with Ikea trees youre going to get them about 5-6 feet tall at most and they may need a bit of a trim to get shape, but definitely worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

We got one the weekend, they seem a little smaller than last year, I'd say 5.5ft, which is probably why the price dropped, but we got a nice shaped one, and there's a lovely smell of pine off it. I'd buy it again even without the voucher tbh - bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They are imported trees, so they've been cut a while. No smell off them and it will be as dry and brown as kindling come Christmas day - if it even gets that far. I threw mine out the week before Christmas last year. And I did water it before anyone asks.

Not worth the €25 imo.
    Completely disagree. Got one of thiers the last few years and they were fine and healthy well after christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

For me, I much prefer to buy a tree off a local grower or one of the guys selling at carparks - it just a nice way of contributing directly to someone else's Christmas.

Ikea make enough profit (and fair play to them and I love their store), but sometimes its so much better to support local.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

delahuntv wrote:
    For me, I much prefer to buy a tree off a local grower or one of the guys selling at carparks - it just a nice way of contributing directly to someone else's Christmas.

At least IKEA are tax compliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Not worth the €25 imo.

I would feel the complete opposite of this. Have gotten them the last 2 years and they are perfect the whole time up to when I chuck it out cos it's not Xmas anymore - 27th :)

And the net cost is €5 after using the voucher, not €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

delahuntv wrote: »

Ikea make enough profit (and fair play to them and I love their store), but sometimes its so much better to support local.

This is the Bargain Alerts forum :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

delahuntv wrote: »
    Ikea make enough profit

€25 at selling point plus a €20 for you on store credit leaves Ikea to have to profit from €5 euro, I don't think there is much to profit from that and probably they'll lose money on the trees (trying to lure you to spend on what you didn't want to buy, but that's a story for another day)

trees were fine for the last 2 years, I'm getting one from them this year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

hatchman wrote: »
    At least IKEA are tax compliant

Some interesting articles online about Ikea and tax so i have a read this one before commenting on a small trader of trees and his/her tax compliance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/11/02/how-ikea-billionaire-legally-avoided-taxes-from-1973-until-2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Some interesting articles online about Ikea and tax so i have a read this one before commenting on a small trader of trees and his/her tax compliance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/11/02/how-ikea-billionaire-legally-avoided-taxes-from-1973-until-2015/

True and a good point. But, more relevantly, they are one of the few companies that pay the 'living wage' instead of 'minimum wage' which will make a big difference to the families of people who work there over Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

We have gotten these for the past 2 years and they have been a nice shape and size. You do need to get there early in the day to get a good one. Ours lasted fine until after Christmas. Planning on heading up this weekend to have a look. We moved to our new house this year so hoping they are big enough, the last 2 years we were in an apartment and they were the perfect size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Great news - i bought one with the deal 2 years back - I have very high (13ft) cealings so you notice when you have a smaller tree but at that price I'm quite happy to get an orangecrate from Lidl/aldi & cover it in Christmas paper & stand the stand in that to make it up to 8 ft - I love this deal - e25 for the tree - cheapest I'vefound so far us e50 & the majority are 60/70/80/90 - which is ok if you're not watching costs.

I used the voucher to buy Orchids as presents for my post Christmas relations visits - they do beautiful ones there so I saved on my shopping list too. V happy!

I wonder do they accept the voucher for the hotdogs!! ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saw the trees last week and all the ones I could see were nice, good shape, full trees. Very small though, most were 1.5 - 2m high. We prefer a 3m high tree :D

Still a great deal if a small tree will do you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I was at IKEA earlier this morning (for Santa), and there was a sign at the entrance saying Christmas trees are SOLD OUT.

Just in case if anyone is considering going up there..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

1000 trees due in tomorrow morning. It might be the last batch for the year as the weather is affecting shipments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

can you spend the voucher straight away or is it valid at certain days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

can you spend the voucher straight away or is it valid at certain days?
    It's only valid be between 18/01/2016 and 07/02/2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was also up there waiting for the 10am opening and yes - the weather was affecting the trees - they said they couldn't get the shioment delivered from the docks because of the storm - but they said that they were expecting to have new sets of treea delivered every day so don't panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Loads there this afternoon but they looked a bit short to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Judford Swanks

Was up in IKEA this morning and they are completely sold out, and they won't be getting any more christmas trees in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's only valid be between 18/01/2016 and 07/02/2016.
    Just a reminder that the vouchers can be used now.

Advertisement