Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotation marks

Options
  • 03-06-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

For titles of books is it doubles or singles
    . Eg A) I studied 'wuthering heights'
    OR
    B) I studied "wuthering heights"

And then for quotations what is it?
    A) 'it would degrade me to marry heathcliff'
    OR
    B) "it would degrade me to marry heathcliff"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

2014lchelp wrote: »
    OR

And then for quotations what is it?
    A) 'it would degrade me to marry heathcliff'
    OR
    B) "it would degrade me to marry heathcliff"

I never thought it made any difference if it was ' or '' tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

I have always used single marks for titles (I studied 'Wuthering Heights') and double marks for quotes ("It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff")

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

2014lchelp wrote: »
    OR
    It would be more important to use capital letters appropriately tbh; you don't really need any type of quotation marks for the title of a book, play, etc.

In Wuthering Heights, Bronte portrays Heathcliff as ......

is fine.

Use quotation marks for actual quotations, whether double or single doesn't really matter in this context, but try to be consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

It's something I'd considered a while back, as well. The almost universal consensus from Google is that there is no difference between the two. Though it doesn't really matter, the general style is that if there is a quotation within a quotation, the interior quotation be given single quotation-marks - "I said to her, 'Are those my shoes?'" (note that it may look odd to have the single and double quotation-marks together, but it is correct). Personally, I think it entirely unnecessary to put the title of a book in quotation marks, unless there's some ambiguity - for instance, if the title were uncapitalised or if it were a single-word.

Advertisement