Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 predictions

Options
  • 07-09-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Decided that I'd get this thread started.
    If anybody has any predictions for any subject please post it to this thread, and validate your reasons as to why you see the said subject as a plausible possibility!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Decided that I'd get this thread started.
    If anybody has any predictions for any subject please post it to this thread, and validate your reasons as to why you see the said subject as a plausible possibility!
    I predict that the Leaving Cert will happen again this year! :)

And tbh, that's all you can really be sure of ... predictions are a mug's game, especially in the last few years when they've been ringing the changes a bit more to wake people up (admittedly, this year wasn't bad for surprises, but the last few years had enough of them to cause tears and tantrums here and IRL).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Way too soon for this silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Guys DON'T be fooled by predictions, they will be your downfall. All the trends of years gone by are done away with. Spend your time studying NOT looking for the easy way out on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gallagher_Lisa

Predictions will never work any more...they keep purposely not following trends to make it harder to predict!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Unless they randomly throw darts at the syllabus, there will always be some sort of predictability (and even then, just choose the sections that take up the most area on the syllabus!) to it. Doesn't mean you should rely on that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 LoicRemy

DNA and RNA in biology imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Kingship and/or Banquo and Macduff for the Macbeth question me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Lads really?

Take it from someone who has it fresh in his memory. You are way ahead of yourself here and this is a bad thing to get into at this early stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it helps (and maybe it doesn't) the papers are well along the drafting and setting process by now, so what is done is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

One or all of the following poets have to come up:
    1. WB Yeats
    2. Emily Dickinson
    3. Seamus Heaney

Seamus Heaney has not come up since 2003. Yeats is the greatest poet in the English language so they will feel the need to put him on :-P

• Advertisement

niallharty wrote: »
    1. WB Yeats
    2. Emily Dickinson
    3. Seamus Heaney

Seamus Heaney has not come up since 2003. Yeats is the greatest poet in the English language so they will feel the need to put him on :-P

I will repeat for ye all in this thread. Take this quote to heart.
    "Assumption is the mother of all fúck-uppery"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

Why are people getting so worked up about predictions? anybody who actually follows them and bases their study time around predictions is stupid, yes. but it's interesting to see what others think will be coming up next year. ye really should calm down and stop complaining so much about it.

1. WB Yeats
    2. Emily Dickinson
    3. Seamus Heaney

Nothing HAS to come up; they won't feel the need to put any specific poet up! :)

You're just convincing yourself, lad, without any solid basis.

kev44 wrote: »
    ye really should calm down and stop complaining so much about it.
    have to come up:

I feel vindicated in telling them to cop on and assume nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 staircasewit

Kinsella, Dickinson and Heaney, although, in my opinion, they might not put Heaney on as he would be the obvious choice.
    Lady Macbeth, Kingship or Macduff as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Last year in english everyone said kingship, in french it was obesity and in Irish people learned off big essays on the gathering history it was the 1913 lockout on its own!

None came up and people wasted far too much time learning off essays instead of learning off the material.
    Predictions are fine for the night before an exam but please please be smart about them.

Orrrr alternatively you can take every one as truth and lower the bell curve for me. Thankssss ha

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

oncex wrote: »
    Last year in english everyone said kingship, in french it was obesity and in Irish people learned off big essays on the gathering history it was the 1913 lockout on its own!

None came up and people wasted far too much time learning off essays instead of learning off the material.
    Predictions are fine for the night before an exam but please please be smart about them.

Orrrr alternatively you can take every one as truth and lower the bell curve for me. Thankssss ha

1913 strike and lock out did actually come up.
    Are you for real? the gathering? That doesn't sound like the type of essay that would come up on the Irish course I have come to know.
    For Macbeth it's just best to stick to knowing the main characters: Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Macduff as a character question always comes up.
    Can't comment on French I do Español sorry.

Obviously don't just only study these predictions but it would be a good idea to take into account the reasonable, logical ones in case they do come up. I won't be shocked if they don't come up, but I would be glad I did prepare them as they often help you answer other similar questions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Irish essays are usually based on topical news while the papers are being set and the gathering was hotly tipped, it's not that far fetched - it came up on the pre paper last year, i was asked about it in my oral too. :pac:

Edit: it actually came up on the German tape too :P

1913 strike and lock out did actually come up.
    Are you for real? the gathering? That doesn't sound like the type of essay that would come up on the Irish course I have come to know.
    For Macbeth it's just best to stick to knowing the main characters: Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Macduff as a character question always comes up.
    Can't comment on French I do Español sorry.

Obviously don't just only study these predictions but it would be a good idea to take into account the reasonable, logical ones in case they do come up. I won't be shocked if they don't come up, but I would be glad I did prepare them as they often help you answer other similar questions

Yes but the lock out didnt come up on its own. If you didn't know anything about the land war you're down to 50/100 before starting the question. Ya everyone learnt off the gathering, i wouldn't be surprised to see it this year though considering Barack obama was a title one year. It also came up as a question in French. These examiners just expect us to know things.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail ;)

These examiners just expect us to know things.
    Yeah.

The great big unfair bullies.

:pac:

• Advertisement

I think he meant "things" as in things unrelated to the subject. I.E: Topical subjects.

Yeah.

The great big unfair bullies.

:pac:

Haha i sense sarcasm:D Ya thats what i meant like a lot of people didn't even know what The Gathering was, they just presumed we would.

Haha i sense sarcasm:D
    Really?? :eek:

:D
    Ya thats what i meant like a lot of people didn't even know what The Gathering was, they just presumed we would.
    Y'see, it's not that unreasonable to expect young people coming out of a broad education at 17 / 18 to have *some* idea of topical / current affairs.

Which is one of the reasons why the tips / predictions / make pre-learned essay fit any title and regurgitate it model fails to produce the goods a lot of the time of the time.

There's a difference between knowing what's going on and caring enough to look into it enough to be able to write about it. Couldn't give a rat's about the Gathering - I'd have been unable to write about it in French last year.

Really?? :eek:

:D

Y'see, it's not that unreasonable to expect young people coming out of a broad education at 17 / 18 to have *some* idea of topical / current affairs.

Which is one of the reasons why the tips / predictions / make pre-learned essay fit any title and regurgitate it model fails to produce the goods a lot of the time of the time.

but "some" idea isn't going to get us full marks if we don't know any details. Saying that, we have a choice in practically every exam so its definitely avoidable.

I don't think I can handle the banter of boards tbh it makes me feel stupid, not posting anymore haha. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Momentum for question six physics!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stephenodea01

Yeats, Dickenson and Heaney. At least one of them have to otherwise they'll screw half the country. Imagine a papet of Bishop larkin mahon and plath

There's enough "predictions" threads around without bumping one which hasn't seen a post since last November! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement