Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholics call for Israeli hate-crime crackdown

• 21-09-2012 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

A spate of hate crimes against Christian places of worship in Israel has prompted usually reticent Roman Catholic officials to speak out, hoping that intervention by authorities might bring an end to the vandalism.

http://rt.com/news/catholics-christian-vandalism-hate-598/

How often does this get reported in the West? It seems we're unlikely to see anyone but the Russians expose this. In Israel, American taxpayers contribute more to their defense budget than Israelis do. Are these Americans aware of this? Its also funny that we hear about alleged hate-crimes in Iran, but not a peep about this in the West. Isn't it true that Jewish children who follow the Talmud are taught that non-Jews are less than human?

That might explain this disgusting sectarian racism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I have a (leftie, liberal) friend in Tel Aviv and she posts these kind of stories on facebook a lot.

I think in the west there is this image of Israel as "the only democracy in the middle east" and that implies that it's just a wealthy, liberal western country in the desert.

Truth be told, it may have started as such but it's fast becoming just as ugly, fundamentalist, sectarian and happily devolving into iron age values as any of it's neighbours. Not only are Jews defacing Christian churches (and I've heard they're none too keen on muslims either) but they're even vandalising their own for not being Jewish enough. It's a crazy place and the news that comes out of there is terrifying.

So no, I don't think Americans have a clue what they are supporting or to what extent.

I don't know about the Talmud teaching that non-Jews are less than human, that's a new one on me, but they certainly have the "our god is better than your god, and we're the favourites and the only ones who've got it right" arrogance that all religions have. The funny thing is that they even do it to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Well being a democracy they have Jews who abuse catholics and muslims they have muslims who abuse Jews and cristians they have cristians who abuse the orthodox. Pretty much the same throughout west Europe and the US.
    I wonder what happens in the countries that neighbour Israel.
    Would Jews andcristians be persecuted ? would cristians and Jews be denied jobs?
    Yes to all the above.
    And you say in the west they havent heard a peep about it well you heard about it didnt you? wile you were going about trying to raise another non story to have a go at Israel.

I think in this day and age the catholic church are just happy that this story isnt about thier priests abusing kids on a scale that rivals south american drug lords. FFS they should be declared a banned orginisation for what they have done to the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I think in this day and age the catholic church are just happy that this story isnt about thier priests abusing kids on a scale that rivals south american drug lords. FFS they should be declared a banned orginisation for what they have done to the country.
    Which goes to show this poster has a simple minded meme to blame the Catholic Church/Catholics for all/every case of abuse which would find a welcome home in any historical anti-Catholic zealot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

inb4 the "you quoted RT- your argument is invalid" crowd.

Usually I find that most stuff in Israel (except for stuff to do with it and Palestine) often gets unreported over here. It's unfortunate.
    I wonder what happens in the countries that neighbour Israel.

It doesn't matter.
    And you say in the west they havent heard a peep about it well you heard about it didnt you?

He meant in western media, and he is perfectly right.
    wile you were going about trying to raise another non story to have a go at Israel.

Please explain how this is a non-story? If the story is indeed true then it is very worrying, certainly not a non-story.

This is a massively tangental rant that has no relevance to the topic. Is Ireland the Soviet Union? Do we go around banning religions that are adhered to by the vast majority? Thank god you don't run the country!

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

molly ,cristian is a boys name,i think you meant christian as in follower of christ

• Advertisement

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Usually I find that most stuff in Israel (except for stuff to do with it and Palestine) often gets unreported over here. It's unfortunate.

Yep. Here are some of the issues currently affecting Israeli Jews unconnected which are peripheral to the Palestine conflict.

Generous subsidies for people moving to illegal settlements while cost of living rises in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
    Ultra Orthodox Jews exemption from national service (currently being corrected, but basically most of the Knesset were sending everyone else's kids to the front lines whilst claiming religious exemption for their own)
    Bus segregation
    Ultra-orthodox calling little schoolgirls sluts
    Racism
    War tourism at the border with Syria
    Terrible marriage laws

The only one of these stories I wasn't pointed to by an Israeli was the harrassment of the girl's school, that one I found in USA news sources. These stories are not widely reported in the global media.

pontia wrote: »
    molly ,cristian is a boys name,i think you meant christian as in follower of christ
    Apologies I have a small probem with my wireless keyboard that seems to interpret its own form of grammer and spelling. (Not that my own were any better)

inb4 the "you quoted RT- your argument is invalid" crowd.

Have you ever wondered whyt that is not because of agendas but simply because it the "way of the world" just like in Ireland we have our stories that dont get published there.

[QUOTE=

This is a massively tangental rant that has no relevance to the topic. Is Ireland the Soviet Union? Do we go around banning religions that are adhered to by the vast majority? Thank god you don't run the country![/QUOTE]

Ok appese me for a moment If you would like this moved to PM'S or to a diferent fourum I think it would be better suited than politics tbh.
    Illbriefly outline my toughts here just for the excercise.
    If a terrorist orginisation existed here that had te people in fear (just like one that did) it would be labelled a banned orginisation.

The Catholic church has supported priests who abused kids they deliberitly obstructed investigations and then even after he truth came out they tried to fob it off with nonsence the latest being "a friendship gone wrong" with the terror that this group has instilled on Ireland over the past say 50 years should we as a society not be prepared to stand up and limit its influence and pompus arrogance?

And before ou jump in I whole heartedly agree that religion should not play apart in any state be it Israel Iran or Ireland. I am a Zionist have been for a long time, I believe the people of Israel are entitled to tier homeland. Ive been to Israel been severly injured there but no way would my beliefs be swayed by religious nuts in fact quite the opposite.
    There is a lot of fruitcakes out there who think they have a right to preach what they want. they are made up of all demonimations be it in Israel Mecca Pakistain etc.etc. They have just as much right to express thier opinion as you do. how they chose to do it is up to them. as a "civilised" population we choose like most to debate the subject some choose to go beyond that that to price tagging some even further to firebombs.
    Some even decide to blow themselves up regardless of who they are among.

Should we 3000 km away point fingers at Israel ? should we wag our fingers and say those Israelies letting the coptics be persecuted while our students are urinatiting on homeless people in stephens green on wednesday nights?

or should we as a start be pointing the fingers at these orginisations Immans Priests and Rabbais who gather the flock and point them in the direction of hatred murder and hooliganism. should the state be held to account or should the religions be held to account:?

I ask the question not make the statement why should a state be held to account for the actions of a religious movement.

Manach wrote: »
    Which goes to show this poster has a simple minded meme to blame the Catholic Church/Catholics for all/every case of abuse which would find a welcome home in any historical anti-Catholic zealot.

Absolutley not I abhor every instance of abuse and I note it is predominante in almost every religious institute. is there a connection there within religion and abuse?

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter.
    QUOTE]

Why not? is it just Israel that is subject to your scorn of you and your so called liberal leftist friend?

Border-Rat wrote: »

How often does this get reported in the West? It seems we're unlikely to see anyone but the Russians expose this. In Israel, American taxpayers contribute more to their defense budget than Israelis do. Are these Americans aware of this? Its also funny that we hear about alleged hate-crimes in Iran, but not a peep about this in the West. Isn't it true that Jewish children who follow the Talmud are taught that non-Jews are less than human?

Here is a similar story poor catholics can they go nowhere these days !!!!

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-04-22/news/31383924_1_south-sudanese-sudanese-troops-south-kordofan

oh stop the presses another one from aroundthe world

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Hubei,-a-church-burned.-Catholics-call-for-justice-25851.html

http://www.king5.com/news/Vandals-hit-St-James-Cathedral-on-Easter-morning-146599645.html
    Sweet mother these vandals are really getting around,

Mypoint if it isnt clear by now is places are suseptibale to vandalism merely by there placement in society. sure there isan argument for one side and the other and Ill stand here and say that Jewish groups do shout about it while no one listens all Im asking is that the same level of neer to do with me is issued across the board. If someone sprayed the national mousqe along with the pro cathedarel and syanagouge I hope the responce on boards would be the same as al qaida boards and catholic boards and jewish boards, Instaed of the same nonsence that sprouts from some posters who think Israel is the nucleaus of all evil, If this thread had a different title it would have a meaningful topic instead of stinking of a roundabout way of getting at Israelies.

and once again apologies for the wireless keyborard I can barely edit the post its caused byinterference from some radio equiptment thats working on the same frequncey. my incerest apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I doubt that the Talmud teaches Jewish children to hate non-Jews.

Secondly, there are extremists in every religion who do preach stuff like that, and Judaism is no different in that regard. However, in Israel, it seems that the extremists are increasingly the ones running the show, all the while being essentially being aided and abetted by the US.

BTW, it is rather sad that there are people defending this sort of thing, with the typical whataboutery and complaining about people daring to discuss the topic.

Being aided and abetted is somewhat strong to say my position would be that true the extremeists have a hold and they do control some areas but it looks like its purely for voter sympathey its in every dept from dairy to defence but the same can be said of here we have Labour juniour ministers speaking up against o reilley etc etc.
    some where we need to distinguish the line between state and religion that will never happen in Ireand while rte play the angelus and it will never happen in Israel while the ultra orthodox stone MDA when there answering a hert attack on Yom Kippur,

The US gives billions of dollars to Israel, and uses its UN veto to protect Israel from any censure in regards to settlements. So I think aiding and abetting is perfectly accurate.

Also, there is no comparison at all between our government, and an extremist like Netanyahu, whose coalition features a toxic mix of ultra nationalists and religious extremists.

wes wrote: »
    The US gives billions of dollars to Israel, and uses its UN veto to protect Israel from any censure in regards to settlements. So I think aiding and abetting is perfectly accurate.

Also, there is no comparison at all between our government, and an extremist like Netanyahu, whose coalition features a toxic mix of ultra nationalists and religious extremists.

as opposed to what the Arab worlds collective aid from the US abd russias veto to censure any opposition of assads anti freedom fighters crackdown ?

Its very easy to pour scorn on Netanyauhus government its also akin to pouring scorn on Kennys cabinet when you need a coalition there will always be the outsiders. its drawing the fine line between appeasing thevoting public and being the democratic leader who takes responsibility and in Israel just like Ireland there has to come a point when religion should take a side step maybe not in our lifetime but Israel should stand uo and be a state albeit a Jewish but respect the rights of the "goy".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

How often does this get reported in the West? It seems we're unlikely to see anyone but the Russians expose this. In Israel, American taxpayers contribute more to their defense budget than Israelis do. Are these Americans aware of this? Its also funny that we hear about alleged hate-crimes in Iran, but not a peep about this in the West.

I would say the stories below are virtually unknown in the West.

shutting down of churches
    crackdowns on house-church gatherings
    detaining and abusing Christians
    banning church services in Farsi
    burning bibles

an Iranian-born woman, newly converted to Christianity... was found in mid-January slumped over the steering wheel of her Nissan Altima steps from her home with a single gunshot wound to the head...

http://www.assistnews.net/STORIES/2012/s12060119.htm

And how often does the persecution of Christians by the PA get reported by western media?
    PA Declares Church in Bethlehem to be Unlawful

Pastor Reverend Naim Khoury noted, however, that animosity towards the Christian minority in areas controlled by the PA continues to get increasingly worse.

“People are always telling [Christians], ‘Convert to Islam. Convert to Islam. It’s the true and right religion,’” Khoury said.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/153747#.T40QLqvY-pe

Why is the West ignoring Saudis’ persecution of Christians?
    The ongoing campaign by the Saudi authorities and its religious establishment to decimate Christianity reached its rhetorical zenith in March. Abdulaziz ibn Abdullah Al al-Sheikh, the grand mufti Saudi Arabia, proclaimed it “necessary to destroy all the churches in the Arabian Peninsula.” As my colleague Clifford D. May noted at the time in his column, the grand mufti delivered his directive to an organization called the “Revival of Islamic Heritage Society” (RIHS), which has aided a host of terrorist entities, including al-Qaeda and al-Qaeda affiliates.

http://www.defenddemocracy.org/media-hit/why-is-the-west-ignoring-saudis-persecution-of-christians/

Catholic Archimandrite accuses Western media of ignoring persecution in Syria

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=14522

I think it's fair to say Western media is whitewashing the persecution of Christians no matter where it happens but then will happily mock Jesus and run anti-catholic ads.

New York Times runs anti-Catholic ad, but nixes anti-Islam ad

We’ll mock Jesus but not Mohammed, says BBC boss

It seems like Western media is controlled by a bunch of Christain-hating atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's funny the way the USA didn't want to accommodate these people when Alaska was suggested as a place to put them, out of sight out of mind so to speak. Even Hitler talked of planting the species on Madagascar. We all know they cause trouble as well as influencing American commerce and politics, the question is which Euro countries will be brave enough to front up to these people when they start the next great war.

MOD NOTE: Banned.

as opposed to what the Arab worlds collective aid from the US abd russias veto to censure any opposition of assads anti freedom fighters crackdown ?

More whataboutery. IMHO, if you actually cared about those things, you would start a thread about them. BTW, I have condemned the US support of Arab dictators in the past.
    Its very easy to pour scorn on Netanyauhus government its also akin to pouring scorn on Kennys cabinet when you need a coalition there will always be the outsiders. its drawing the fine line between appeasing thevoting public and being the democratic leader who takes responsibility and in Israel just like Ireland there has to come a point when religion should take a side step maybe not in our lifetime but Israel should stand uo and be a state albeit a Jewish but respect the rights of the "goy".

I am sorry, but to compare an extremist like Netanyahu to our government, shows just how far off the reservation you are. The man is an extremists, as is his entire coalition. A more accurate comparison for Netanyahu government, would be the Hamas leadership, and not the Irish government. Now, if the Irish government started building roads for one ethnic group, then you will have a case for a comparison. Right now, your just drawing a false equivalence, between the Irish and Israeli governments imho.

BTW, you seem unable to discuss the actual topic, without bringing something else. IMHO, people who do that don't really care about such issues, as if they did, they would start a thread on them. The tactic is used to try and get people to shut up and nothing more. It tends not to work.

It's funny the way the USA didn't want to accommodate these people when Alaska was suggested as a place to put them, out of sight out of mind so to speak. Even Hitler talked of planting the species on Madagascar. We all know they cause trouble as well as influencing American commerce and politics, the question is which Euro countries will be brave enough to front up to these people when they start the next great war.

FFS, no need for this sort of nonsense.

• Advertisement

Why not? is it just Israel that is subject to your scorn of you and your so called liberal leftist friend?

You kind of quoted the wrong person, sir. First part could be addressed to me all right, but Lingua Franca had the "liberal leftist friend". Mind reconstructing that?

But I'll address your first point regardless.

The discussion is about Israel. Imagine if somebody tried to defend the Chinese government for their repression by saying: "Well at least they aren't as bad as the Nazis!" What you are trying to do is essentially this: to divert attention from Israel by saying that the situation is worse within the borders of adjacent countries. According to you we should completely ignore injustices because "there are worse things sort of nearby". Your logic stinks.
    Have you ever wondered whyt that is not because of agendas but simply because it the "way of the world" just like in Ireland we have our stories that dont get published there.

I never said it was agendaic, but it often is. Sometimes media is just impartial to suffering. For example, there is a massive civil war in the Congo that has been going on for ages and left millions dead, millions maimed and lots more impoverished and starving. It continues to rage every day, yet there is no media coverage. The last media I saw on it was Ross Kemp's hour-long documentary there and that was a year ago. Whereas crap like Clint Eastwood's speech to the chair is analysed, spoofed and reported on incessantly for days.

Car bombings in Iraq that kill dozens get tiny bite-sized stories. These things were reported on all the time during the Iraq War, as the insurgents were the "enemy" and it was chic to report on their atrocities. Now there is very little reporting on it, presumably because there is little appetite for stories on Iraq any more after the withdrawal.

A more recent example is the Pussy Riot case. Over here they became the poster girls of the Russian opposition movement, whereas in Russia you couldn't locate their actual fan-base with an electron microscope. Same with "opposition figures" like Gorbachev, Kasparov and Nemtsov. The Guardian in particular was being spammed with stories and editorials about them, because there is an anti-Putin appetite over here these days since the protests began.

So usually there is an agenda here, maybe not a political one but certainly papers are trying to sell copies, or their websites are trying to get hits, and that's why they reports on some stuff but ignore other things.

Whereas RT caters to a different consumer base, and this is reflected accordingly in its stories.

Apologies for the misquoting and excellent post by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

There are plenty of modern, progressive, dare I say liberal jews in Israel. But then there's a lot of crazy haredi jews who will give them all a bad name. The haredi have large families and look set to outnumber the more sane jews in the future.

I'm not just having a go at haredi, I think all religious fundamentalists are crazy, to put it lightly. But I'll leave evangelicals out of this, for now.
    The Haredi community is known for its large families, high unemployment rate (due to postgraduate yeshiva studies)

Quote from here

They get paid to read a book, but are exempt from the military, which is fighting to protect them. And on top of this, they wear massive hats and spit and throw stones at women in public? Are they taking the p1ss?

This article shows that they're not much better than the muslims, in relation to women's rights.
    For many months this year, Israelis were outraged over the "exclusion of women" issue, which relates to women's place in the public domain: Women's appearance on billboards, women's place in "kosher buses", haredi newspapers' censorship of pictures, the treatment of young girls and women walking on the street, etc.

The survey respondents were asked for their opinion regarding bills determining that such discrimination in the public domain would be considered a criminal offense. Sixty-four percent were in favor (79% of seculars, and most religious and traditional Jews) and 36% opposed (84% of haredim).

The treatment of women, as second class citizens, is alive and well in christianity, judaism and islam. Mind you, that's only about 50% of their populations. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Sick, twisted and in the blindness of presumptuous bigotted rant, the poster, obviously on wrong forum, lost the run of themselves and committed a typical faux-pas of many an anti-semite (and antisemitism is what this buttnuggetry quoted above is) in not being able to tell the difference between a Jewish person and an Israeli.

Reported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

We hear plenty about the Middle East. We even hear about Israel being 'attacked'. Yet we don't hear about Israelis spitting on Catholics/non-jews they deem to be less than human. Whats the matter, will it affect cash flow from said sub-humans abroad?

Are these extremists receiving billions per annum from Christians and keeping up a pretense of being friends in order to keep the cash rolling in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

We hear plenty about the Middle East. We even hear about Israel being 'attacked'. Yet we don't hear about Israelis spitting on Catholics/non-jews they deem to be less than human. Whats the matter, will it affect cash flow from said sub-humans abroad
    Silly thing to say.
    Did you not see Panorama this week on BBC? How about Jeremy Bowen's reportage? Ever follow Christiane Amanpour's excellent reports not only on CNN but her books? Even that shy retiring soul, John Pilger gets to use the evil big bad west's media as a platform (ITV) as does Robert Fisk via The Independent and The Spectator.

Did you not see Panorama this week on BBC?

What was on Panorama this week?

:confused: What on earth is wrong with you?

"so called"? It's what she calls herself. And no, we "scorn" lots of countries. She happens to live in Israel and tells me what goes on there, and she's from the US and active in Democrats Abroad and so she talks about that country too. I gripe about Ireland, the UK and the Netherlands. We're both politically active left wingers and so we also talk about global issues. It's what friends with a mutual interest in politics and society do.

I wasn't even having a go at Israel or being anti semetic, merely pointing out stories that should be of worldwide interest but are under- or un-reported outside of Israel, as per the OP. That's what the other posters are talking about too. Are you so zionist that you cannot handle even the slightest criticism of Israel? Your siege mentality is very telling. Your attempts to make this thread about other countries is, too.
    If a terrorist orginisation existed here that had te people in fear (just like one that did) it would be labelled a banned orginisation.

"Labelled" a banned organisation? No, it would be banned. You can't just label something as banned without actively banning it.
    I whole heartedly agree that religion should not play apart in any state be it Israel Iran or Ireland. I am a Zionist have been for a long time, I believe the people of Israel are entitled to tier homeland.
    You've just contradicted yourself. You can't be a secularist and a Zionist.

And we also have our stories that go worldwide like grown men harrassing little girls on their way to school.

I won't continue, your posts are nonsense and going way off topic.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 FrontStorm

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to disguise your anti-semitism with links from Al-Jazeera or Russia Today like the rest of them do. Amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

MOD NOTE: Banned.

I can't wait to tell my wife and daughters that they are species rather than members of the human race.

All the same when you get one more cell then you can call yourself an Amoeba.

I presume the dickheads ban is permanent. If not, please close my account. The rampant anti-semitism on boards.ie is at this stage depressing and embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

leincar wrote: »
    ............ The rampant anti-semitism on boards.ie is at this stage depressing and embarassing.

Overstating the case there, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Hm, I though I had closed this thread a few days ago, so let me try again...

This is a disturbing thread and OP for a number of reasons.

First, the idea that this story would not be reported in the West is belied by the fact that it was not only picked up by the AP, but that several large television and print outlets picked it up, including ABC news in the US. A simple Google search makes this clear.

Second, it is unclear what the point of this thread is. Do you want to discuss attacks on Christian sites? Media coverage of Israel in the West? US government support for the Israeli military budget? Or what Jewish children - not Israeli, but Jewish children - are taught in school?

OP, taken together, the fact that your link is a flimsy premise for this thread, and your following comments have little to do with the actual link, make it hard for me to see this thread as anything but an attempt to have a go at Israelis...or is it Jews, since you seem to conflate the two?

Anyway, given the dubious premise of the OP, and the, frankly, appalling comments on this thread, I'm closing this down. We welcome honest political discussions on difficult topics, but people, take your not-so-thinly veiled anti-Semitism elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement