Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Quinn avoids jail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Could you imagine if something like this happened to a working class person?? .
    We don't have to imagine. whole wings where cleared in our over crowed jails to lock up people who didn't pay water charges, mostly targeted at the women of the household in order to break the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think the judge's smart ass approach.. i.e. jailing the son so that the father will act... is pretty disgusting and surely most be against his civil rights.. Could you imagine if something like this happened to a working class person?? You wouldnt be able to move for all the left wing groups wanting to make statements condemning it... hypocrites, the lot of them.

And with regard to Anglo/IBRC, they should be in the dock themselves... I mean they gave loans to the Quinns to buy their own shares... Where are the prosecutions of Drumm and Fitzpatrick? I guess seeing as the regulator and people in the department of finance knew about their shady dealing, the state will be less inclined to investigate these issues lest they find against one of their own..

The Quinns have only themselves to blame here. They defied court orders, were putting assets beyond the reach of the banks, even at the same time as their assets had been frozen, whilst court action was in progress. They did nothing in the 3 weeks to remedy or reverse the earlier illegal acts and hence contempt of court.

With regard to the loans given to them by Anglo to buy Anglo shares, that is a whole other issue and at any point the Quinns did not have to take the loans. Why did they accept them at the time ? When it all went belly up.... its not our fault.They gambled knowing the risks and lost. Its like putting a grand on a nag and it loses and you want your money back. They need to man up and pay up and grow some integrity and honesty instead of constantly whinging about what Anglo did to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The Quinns have only themselves to blame here. They defied court orders, were putting assets beyond the reach of the banks, even at the same time as their assets had been frozen, whilst court action was in progress. They did nothing in the 3 weeks to remedy or reverse the earlier illegal acts and hence contempt of court.

With regard to the loans given to them by Anglo to buy Anglo shares, that is a whole other issue and at any point the Quinns did not have to take the loans. Why did they accept them at the time ? When it all went belly up.... its not our fault.They gambled knowing the risks and lost. Its like putting a grand on a nag and it loses and you want your money back. They need to man up and pay up and grow some integrity and honesty instead of constantly whinging about what Anglo did to them .

But Anglo also need to be investigated and people who were in charge need to do time. Regulator aswell.

All that I see happening is them going after the quinns as a figure head while totally forgetting the rest of them. It's pure and utter corruption in my eyes. The sooner this hole system crashes down the better. It is rotten to the core.

All the while we keep getting hit with more and more taxes and cuts and these bankers who were involved in the Quinn mess play the poor mouth as if they have been somehow wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

CptMackey wrote: »

With regard to the loans given to them by Anglo to buy Anglo shares, that is a whole other issue and at any point the Quinns did not have to take the loans. Why did they accept them at the time ? When it all went belly up.... its not our fault.They gambled knowing the risks and lost. Its like putting a grand on a nag and it loses and you want your money back. They need to man up and pay up and grow some integrity and honesty instead of constantly whinging about what Anglo did to them .

But Anglo also need to be investigated and people who were in charge need to do time. Regulator aswell.

All that I see happening is them going after the quinns as a figure head while totally forgetting the rest of them. It's pure and utter corruption in my eyes. The sooner this hole system crashes down the better. It is rotten to the core.

All the while we keep getting hit with more and more taxes and cuts and these bankers who were involved in the Quinn mess play the poor mouth as if they have been somehow wronged.
    So how do you explain why I'm paying a levy for Quinn insurance ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

rodento wrote: »

So how do you explain why I'm paying a levy for Quinn insurance ?????

What? All I'm saying is that the rest of them not ONLY the quinns need to be up infront of a judge. For example when passwords were being with held by Anglo. Nothing done not so much as a fine.

How you came to be on about insurance after what I said is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What? All I'm saying is that the rest of them not ONLY the quinns need to be up infront of a judge. For example when passwords were being with held by Anglo. Nothing done not so much as a fine.
    You have to start somewhere. 20 years ago Quinn would never have been in court himself. The fact that he is can only be seen as a good thing IMO. Quinn is obviously not going to go quietly and why should he, his risktaking was facilitated by people in Anglo that should also see the inside of a jail cell. Hopefully Quinn will be vocal enough in going down that action must be taken against Drumm & Co.

I couldn't see however how having Sean Quinn face the music for his attempts to hide monies owned by the Irish people could possibly be seen as a bad thing.

Indeed its a mystery to me, after nearly 4 years there has been no action against Anglo, or any of the others. I have heard statements from the DPP a few times, saying that the investigation is almost complete, blah blah. Its a total disgrace IMO, that such billions could disappear and the Anglo share price dealing scam as well. It smacks of corruption at he highest levels and suggests possible ingrained financial and political figures involved and revelation of such individuals and practices would lead to another financial meltdown in Ireland. If Hogan of FG is anything to go by, FG do not like investigations any more than FF did. As you say rotten to the core.

Indeed its a mystery to me, after nearly 4 years there has been no action against Anglo, or any of the others. I have heard statements from the DPP a few times, saying that the investigation is almost complete, blah blah. Its a total disgrace IMO, that such billions could disappear and the Anglo share price dealing scam as well. It smacks of corruption at he highest levels and suggests possible ingrained financial and political figures involved and revelation of such individuals and practices would lead to another financial meltdown in Ireland. If Hogan of FG is anything to go by, FG do not like investigations any more than FF did. As you say rotten to the core.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0723/former-anglo-finance-director-to-be-charged.html

murphaph wrote: »

Did you hear those mentally challenged people on liveline defending Quinns, you really have to have pity for the future of the country:mad:. Joe has judged the mood of the country very badly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

The Quinns have submitted a sworn document outlining their expenses. They have previously been granted living expenses of €2,000 a week each.
    But Mr Justice Peter Kelly said he would require a lot more information than what was contained in the document before sanctioning the expenses.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0724/peter-darragh-quinn.html

This is crazy! 2000 a week per Quinn is unjustified. There is no information they can supply to support it. If the dole of 188 a week has been set to be liveable on then that should be the amount released to them (via a dole office). If they have other serious outgoings (mortgages, car loans, holiday expenses) then they need to realise they can't afford those nice things anymore, they are bankrupt, the family company is gone and the family is in hock for 2.8 billion. Your daddy sold the family silver. Why they are allowed dip into monies owed to the state for overly generous living expenses and overly expensive legal teams is bizarre.

I wonder if CAB are so nice to forward monies to criminals when they freeze their assets. White collar bizarro world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0724/peter-darragh-quinn.html

This is crazy! 2000 a week per Quinn is unjustified. There is no information they can supply to support it. If the dole of 188 a week has been set to be liveable on then that should be the amount released to them (via a dole office). If they have other serious outgoings (mortgages, car loans, holiday expenses) then they need to realise they can't afford those nice things anymore, they are bankrupt, the family company is gone and the family is in hock for 2.8 billion. Your daddy sold the family silver. Why they are allowed dip into monies owed to the state for overly generous living expenses and overly expensive legal teams is bizarre.

I wonder if CAB are so nice to forward monies to criminals when they freeze their assets. White collar bizarro world

€104,000 a year on "living expenses", it's fvcking ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Perhaps I should start a different thread. But some things are not clear to me. There are plenty of people who seem to support Quinn so maybe if they read this they can answer a few questions. Or even if someone who doesn't support them can relay their explanations.

1) I saw those two women on VB show. They claimed all sorts of crazy stuff like how the jailing for contempt of court was to prevent the Quinns from revealing something about the government. What type of gibberish is this?

2) Quinn, and his supporters act like the man was just asked to put his name down on a form to help a friend or that he was somehow put on the spot and duped. Didn't he build up a synthetic exposure of something like 28% to Anglo over the course of two years? And then the bank heard a rumour about it and brought him in to ask him about it?

3) Is the fella on the run, the same Peter Quinn who was alleged to have swapped his laptop for a 180 million Euro Russian office block?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1012/1224305644909.html

4) Do the people who say that Quinn had a viable 7 year plan to rescue the company suspect, even one little bit, that they may have used those seven years to concoct even more intricate webs to hide assets further away from the Irish people who are owed for them. Because they seemed to have been fairly quick off the mark in putting what they could out of reach in the short time of control that they had remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ramshackled

I have posted a similar post to this in another thread but I think its important to put this story into context, I think the whole story should be told when talking about Sean Quinn’s guilt and responsibilities to the Irish people.

Up until a few months previous the collapse, it was widely accepted that Anglo was powering the economic boom and their business plan was copied by all the other banks in Ireland at the time.

Behind the scenes, Anglo could no longer keep the dam from bursting and asked Quinn for help, he was initially told that they had a liquidity issue and that the fundamentals were still fine but if they didn’t get the necessary cash injection right at that time, the bank would go to the wall. If he invested he would make a fortune, save the bank and save the whole banking system, they would even lend him the money to do it, he would be a hero. People might call this greed but this attitude to making money had got him to the position that he was in and up until then he was seen as an entrepreneur not a greedy debt/tax cheat.

Up until that point, Anglo had a good rep and the Irish economy was perceived by most as strong up to the crash, it was generally thought that Anglo would survive it (at least I did), they had been too strong and successful in the past to go out of business. The main point on this is that the entire government fell for the same lie, hence the bank guarantee, mainly because Anglo lied to all these people big time not just Sean Quinn.

The Government at this stage also pleaded with him to leave his money in the bank or else it would collapse, he was basically told to put on the green jersey.

So now Sean takes a punt on Anglo, it goes badly and he is left way in the red. His major cash-cow, Quinn Insurance, gets taken away from him because the government changes legislation around how much capital is required in the bank to offset claims on policies, they deliberately gave Quinn very little time to meet these requirements as they knew he was at his weakest at this point.

So he now has no legitimate way to repay these loans. In fairness, the fact that he used Quinn Insurance as a guarantee for less viable businesses and to buy Anglo stocks was bad business in hindsight but the way the property market was at the time they were set-up, made these businesses and decisions look viable, essential even.

Now the property crash goes into freefall which guarantees the demise of his construction based companies and the demise of Anglo.

So at this stage Sean has gone from Billionaire to in the red big style, almost all of his businesses, all in the EU anyway, had been taken from him and he now has Anglo at his door hunting him for "their" money back. Despite the name change this is still the same institution that screwed him over just months previous. If in his shoes, I would personally feel bitter about his treatment by Anglo, the fact that the government fell for the same lie but they personally were allowed keep their huge salaries and pensions along with the property developers that have been propped up by NAMA and of course the majority of bankers got away with it too.

He is now only left with control of businesses and properties outside of the EU, put yourself in his shoes at this stage. Would you just give up all control of the Business Empire that you personally built to a reckless bank/ government that has already taken a large chunk of it? I am aware that it is our taxes that are now footing the bill but that is because the government made bank dept into sovereign dept in 2008, this was their choice, not his. The German and French banks that lent to Anglo should be footing this bill so from Sean Quinn's perspective, the Irish taxpayer is been used to get the government out of the mess they got themselves into and to gain the moral high-ground and impose more taxes on the people that will never be reversed even after the money has been repayed.

The money he lost was swindled from him through lies by a corrupt institution and government. His bad decision with Anglo definitely played a huge part in his downfall and was reckless but I really don't think that this is enough to brand him in the same category as Sean Fitz and David Drumm who knew the state of the bank but still conned both the government and the shareholders into investing.

Before you judge what Sean Quinn has done, here is a very similar moral question for a lay person to answer :
    If you were mis-sold a mortgage to buy a property and it is now worth only half of what you paid for it, it was repossessed by the bank because you can’t repay the mortgage on current earnings. You also have a second property outside of Europe, would you feel compelled to sell your second property to cover the difference in what the Irish property was worth pre boom to post to pay back the bank?
    If I could get away with it, no way would I pay it back and I think most people would do the same in his shoes.

What shocks and disappoints me is the bile and negativity that is been spewed out here and in the media by the general public, not just towards Sean Quinn but at the people who support him. It is not quite as black and white an issue as many people here think and just because we chose to support him does not necessarily mean we are stupid, have a vested interest or have a colloquial attitude, maybe we have actually taken the time to look at the whole picture and then we made a judgement and have not solely taken the comments and opinions of a media owned by billionaires with their own vested interests as gospel.

If you were mis-sold a mortgage to buy a property and it is now worth only half of what you paid for it, it was repossessed by the bank because you can’t repay the mortgage on current earnings. You also have a second property outside of Europe, would you feel compelled to sell your second property to cover the difference in what the Irish property was worth pre boom to post to pay back the bank?
    How can you be mis-sold a standard repayment mortgage? The property costs x, you borrow x and repay x + interest over a set time. Annuity mortgages were mis-sold in the past but these have not been at all popular for at least 20 years now.

It seems to be the in thing these days to offload one's poor decisions on to others. Personal repsonsibility seems to have gone out the window.

The money he lost was swindled from him through lies by a corrupt institution and government. His bad decision with Anglo definitely played a huge part in his downfall and was reckless but I really don't think that this is enough to brand him in the same category as Sean Fitz and David Drumm who knew the state of the bank but still conned both the government and the shareholders into investing.

Most of us in the general public do not really or fully know what went on at Anglo. It is probably true that Quinn's association with Anglo led to his downfall, as he appears to have lost the run of himself. He went from a steady businessman building up his business empire over decades, to a reckless gambler. He gambled everything on the share price of Anglo, that is, his businesses, all the jobs, his wealth....and lost. Was it greed, arrogance, vanity or an obsession to own the bank? Who knows? He is not blameless IMO. He brought ruin on himself and all those he employed.

Originally Posted by murphaph

How can you be mis-sold a standard repayment mortgage? The property costs x, you borrow x and repay x + interest over a set time. Annuity mortgages were mis-sold in the past but these have not been at all popular for at least 20 years now.

It seems to be the in thing these days to offload one's poor decisions on to others. Personal repsonsibility seems to have gone out the window.
    I agree that personal responsibility is lacking in our society and I can see this in all parts of Irish society and this really does need to be addressed but I do not think that Sean Quinn can be accused of this. He has lost a huge amount and may now face jail. He has admitted that he has made mistakes but he does feel that he is been used as a scapegoat which I happen to agree with. The reason I use the term mis-sold is because the banks and the government created an artificial property bubble and fed the people with propaganda about how it will continue to rise for many more years until a "soft landing" in the distant future. People were duped into buying houses because they feared that if they didn't buy at that time they would never be able to afford it. This is where personal responsibility comes in as you say but my point is not who is responsible, my major issue here is with the moralizing and condemning of Sean Quinn that he is some sort of monster when the majority of people in his shoes would do the same thing. .

Originally Posted by Mr. Micro

Most of us in the general public do not really or fully know what went on at Anglo. It is probably true that Quinn's association with Anglo led to his downfall, as he appears to have lost the run of himself. He went from a steady businessman building up his business empire over decades, to a reckless gambler. He gambled everything on the share price of Anglo, that is, his businesses, all the jobs, his wealth....and lost. Was it greed, arrogance, vanity or an obsession to own the bank? Who knows? He is not blameless IMO. He brought ruin on himself and all those he employed.
    We may not know everything about what happened behind the scenes at Anglo but we do know that the Government guaranteed this disaster zone based on similar meetings which would indicate that they cooked the books at least to make it look not as bad as it was. Anyways, I'm repeating myself here, please see response above I do agree though that he is not blameless but this witch hunt is getting out of control.

I agree that personal responsibility is lacking in our society and I can see this in all parts of Irish society and this really does need to be addressed but I do not think that Sean Quinn can be accused of this. He has lost a huge amount and may now face jail. He has admitted that he has made mistakes but he does feel that he is been used as a scapegoat which I happen to agree with. The reason I use the term mis-sold is because the banks and the government created an artificial property bubble and fed the people with propaganda about how it will continue to rise for many more years until a "soft landing" in the distant future. People were duped into buying houses because they feared that if they didn't buy at that time they would never be able to afford it. This is where personal responsibility comes in as you say but my point is not who is responsible, my major issue here is with the moralizing and condemning of Sean Quinn that he is some sort of monster when the majority of people in his shoes would do the same thing. .

We may not know everything about what happened behind the scenes at Anglo but we do know that the Government guaranteed this disaster zone based on similar meetings which would indicate that they cooked the books at least to make it look not as bad as it was. Anyways, I'm repeating myself here, please see response above I do agree though that he is not blameless but this witch hunt is getting out of control.

In fairness, whatever about the millions used to attempt propping up Anglo shares and the illegality of those granting/receiving those sums, which is not the current issue with the courts at the minute, its about assets to the tune of about €500million, which are due to the bank re a legitimate loan for other reasons, which I do believe the Quinns admit they legally owe. So, I do not agree that its a witch hunt and the Quinns, it appears, have acted illegally to continue to put said assets out of the reach of the Banks/State/Taxpayer. I think the very fact that the taxpayer is the one footing all the bills and gets austerity in return is what is really galling the general public?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0202/quinns-business.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Behind the scenes, Anglo could no longer keep the dam from bursting and asked Quinn for help, he was initially told that they had a liquidity issue and that the fundamentals were still fine but if they didn’t get the necessary cash injection right at that time, the bank would go to the wall.

Had he not already built up a synthetic exposure to the bank on his own? And when the word got out, and the value of that position plummeted, they heard about it, called him in and gave him the money to convert it into shares.

If he invested he would make a fortune, save the bank and save the whole banking system, they would even lend him the money to do it, he would be a hero. People might call this greed but this attitude to making money had got him to the position that he was in and up until then he was seen as an entrepreneur not a greedy debt/tax cheat.

Up until that point, Anglo had a good rep and the Irish economy was perceived by most as strong up to the crash, it was generally thought that Anglo would survive it (at least I did), they had been too strong and successful in the past to go out of business. The main point on this is that the entire government fell for the same lie, hence the bank guarantee, mainly because Anglo lied to all these people big time not just Sean Quinn.
    Yes, he thought he would make money.
    The Government at this stage also pleaded with him to leave his money in the bank or else it would collapse, he was basically told to put on the green jersey.
    Really? For the sake of the "green jersey" he was willing to enter into a scheme to prop up the share price.....Share that he held worth billions...If they crashed, he was going to lose big time. where was the "green jersey" when he was swapping 9-figure apartment blocks for laptops?
    So now Sean takes a punt on Anglo, it goes badly and he is left way in the red. His major cash-cow, Quinn Insurance, gets taken away from him because the government changes legislation around how much capital is required in the bank to offset claims on policies, they deliberately gave Quinn very little time to meet these requirements as they knew he was at his weakest at this point.
    I think the just enforced existing legislation when they found out that other entities had liens on some of the assets Quinn claimed as capital on the books of Quinn insurance.

There is a good reason why insurance companies have capital requirements. Yo see why, here is an extreme example. I set up an insurance company that specialises in insuring against hurricane damage. I charge a bargain of 10 Euro a year to insure a house. I sign up 100,000 households. Between expenses and my own salary the company pays 900k a year. I'm sitting happy for the next 10 years. Company is making 100k a year and I'm very wealthy. There are zero hurricanes in Ireland.
    Then there is one down the south of the country and 100 people who are insured with me claim a total of 50 million in damages. I only have 1m accumulated profit. The company goes bankrupt and the insured people become creditors and get one-fiftieth of their claims in the liquidation process.
    The reason why it was not not acceptable to use assets that had a lien against them as capital is that they were not actually assets.
    Again another example. A guy in work asks you for a lend of 10k. Says he will pay you back 12k in one year. You say no, so he says "look, I have a brand new BMW worth 100k. If I don't pay you back, you can force me to sell it. You might feel secure then. But what if you then learn that he already has the same deal done with 10 other people and in fact the car was used as security for the loan he got to buy it! Suddenly your position is not secure. Basically, the security (capital) backing up your loan isn't worth anything because other people have a call on it first.
    So he now has no legitimate way to repay these loans. In fairness, the fact that he used Quinn Insurance as a guarantee for less viable businesses and to buy Anglo stocks was bad business in hindsight but the way the property market was at the time they were set-up, made these businesses and decisions look viable, essential even.

Now the property crash goes into freefall which guarantees the demise of his construction based companies and the demise of Anglo.

So at this stage Sean has gone from Billionaire to in the red big style, almost all of his businesses, all in the EU anyway, had been taken from him and he now has Anglo at his door hunting him for "their" money back. Despite the name change this is still the same institution that screwed him over just months previous. If in his shoes, I would personally feel bitter about his treatment by Anglo, the fact that the government fell for the same lie but they personally were allowed keep their huge salaries and pensions along with the property developers that have been propped up by NAMA and of course the majority of bankers got away with it too.

He is now only left with control of businesses and properties outside of the EU, put yourself in his shoes at this stage. Would you just give up all control of the Business Empire that you personally built to a reckless bank/ government that has already taken a large chunk of it? I am aware that it is our taxes that are now footing the bill but that is because the government made bank dept into sovereign dept in 2008, this was their choice, not his. The German and French banks that lent to Anglo should be footing this bill so from Sean Quinn's perspective, the Irish taxpayer is been used to get the government out of the mess they got themselves into and to gain the moral high-ground and impose more taxes on the people that will never be reversed even after the money has been repayed.
    "Their" money? If is gamble had turned out like he thought it would, and he had made a profit, would he say "this was their money, so I'll give them all the profit too and keep nothing myself". Because Quinn built up a business empire, and he did it by getting credit to buy and expand his businesses. Would he have insisted on giving any profit to German and French banks had his gamble worked?

As for huge salaries -> 320k after tax to a person, that by all accounts, did nothing in return! 2.8 million to extended family members???
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/320000-quinn-wife-working-in-parttime-garage-job-3181379.html

The taxpayer is bailing out Anglo. If they didn't, then all the people who had savings in the Bank would have lost them. And all the people who, probably unbeknownst to them, had money invested in the Bank through their pension funds would have lost it too. And it probably would have cascaded through all the other Irish Banks very quickly. So it's disingenuous to imply that no Irish taxpayer would have lost out had the government not done what they did!

Before you judge what Sean Quinn has done, here is a very similar moral question for a lay person to answer :
    If I could get away with it, no way would I pay it back and I think most people would do the same in his shoes.
    So if it emerged that Sean Fitzgerald had transferred a lot of Anglo assets to companies that he controlled in the Bahamas before he was ousted, you'd say "Ah, sure I'd do the same myself. Nothing wrong with that". Lots of other people lost money on Anglo. Do you think they should all be compensated? You seem to think that Quinn deserves to be compensated, but what about the other shareholders? Including of course Mr Fitzpatrick who also had loans from the Bank and owned a stake worth over 80 million at one stage? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Bank_hidden_loans_controversy#Background
    And just because you would keep it does not make it right! It is stealing from the people of Ireland. They are owed money by Quinn and he is putting his assets out of their reach or squandering them so that they cannot get repaid.
    What shocks and disappoints me is the bile and negativity that is been spewed out here and in the media by the general public, not just towards Sean Quinn but at the people who support him. It is not quite as black and white an issue as many people here think and just because we chose to support him does not necessarily mean we are stupid, have a vested interest or have a colloquial attitude, maybe we have actually taken the time to look at the whole picture and then we made a judgement and have not solely taken the comments and opinions of a media owned by billionaires with their own vested interests as gospel.
    Hypothetically, if I came on here and voiced support for Drumm/Fitzpatrick and developers, would you disagree with me? Treat me with negativity? Because you refer negatively to these people in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Quite hard to believe how much support the Quinn family are getting in Cavan today, with a 5000 strong march in support of them; triggers a "wtf" level of cognitive dissonance, seeing him viewed as a victim, and garnering that much support.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0729/sean-quinn-anglo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Quite hard to believe how much support the Quinn family are getting in Cavan today, with a 5000 strong march in support of them; triggers a "wtf" level of cognitive dissonance, seeing him viewed as a victim, and garnering that much support.
    yes cant belive it myself,they wouldnt march for a poor family losing there home but will for a rich and very greeded man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The Quinn family have run a very good PR campaign and having Anglo as your opponent will always win you sympathy.

At every turn the Quinn family has denied everything and continue to do so e.g. solvency issues prior to Quinn Insurance being taken over etc. As such you can perhaps forgive some people for having taken them at face value, particularly if their community has benefited from his enterprises in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

I'm rather pleased to see that the general opinion is against Quinn here, being from Cavan and a firm believer that the law applies equally to everyone, I have been firmly facepalming whenever I hear somebody from Ballyconnell hit Northern Sound and spout 'Sean Quinn is an absolute saint and we should canonise him hurr durr Dublin meedja'.

On a lighter note I think it's time he was honoured with his own Zenga Zenga song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qp7I8HWNjQ

Sure wasn't Gaddafi just a misunderstood hero too?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Listened to the radio interview.

He's ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Not unexpected though. If it was you or I we'd be sitting behind bars now, but for our elite it's business as usual. That's how Ireland works.

There is a rotten core at the heart of our country that pervades everything from politics and big business to the average punter trying to "get away with" a speeding fine.

Simply put, we're not fit to govern ourselves

No idea what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Depressing to see the mass doffing of caps and touching of forelocks in Ballyconnell yesterday.

Did peter Quinn have the b***s to show up? I'm thinking not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Not surprised to see Colm O'Rourke there. He a failed businessman himself who owes the bank money. These GAA "personalities" need to cop onto themselves, they are making the entire organisation look like it is run by gombeens and dinosaurs.

There are people being locked up for non-payment of TV licenses, people being evicted from their homes, young people being forced out of the country yet the biggest protest in Cavan for decades is to release a white collar criminal from prison? The mind boggles. The Irish are a strange people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

hardCopy wrote: »
    €104,000 a year on "living expenses", it's fvcking ridiculous.

Money grows on trees in Ireland apparently...!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

After watching that thing last night I would suggest that any state funded services in Ballyconnel have the funding removed.
    The locals can ask good old sean to fund them from now out of the money he owes the Irish taxpayers.

Also if that dipstick from Meath o'rourke is so pro quinn and anti Dublin media/establishment he can hand back the taxpayers and license fee money he receives from RTE everytime he shows up to utter sh**e at another GAA match.

And while we are it, lets have a little revenue investigation into the under the table payments sorry expenes given to these inter country and ex inter county fopotball managers that are now so fond of defending someone that so readily breaks our laws and effectively defrauds the Irish taxpayers of hundreds of millions.

yore wrote: »
    Had he not already built up a synthetic exposure to the bank on his own? And when the word got out, and the value of that position plummeted, they heard about it, called him in and gave him the money to convert it into shares.

Really? For the sake of the "green jersey" he was willing to enter into a scheme to prop up the share price.....Share that he held worth billions...If they crashed, he was going to lose big time. where was the "green jersey" when he was swapping 9-figure apartment blocks for laptops?

Yes, he already had shares in Anglo previously, my intention was not to portray Sean Quinn as solely doing it for the sake of the country but just that it may have played a part in his decision process although on second reading that is how it comes across. You are right, he wanted to avoid losing money and he thought he might have a chance of making some money too; my point is that his intentions were not to defraud the nation, the money he was gambling was not Irish taxpayer money at that time. Remember, this 2.5 billion he invested was money he never had, he was given this money by the bank solely to keep them afloat using his assets to attempt to get themselves out of this mess. This was a bad business decision in which he did not weigh up the consequences of what would happen in the event of a full scale crash. My reference to the green jersey was this money that was been shovelled into Anglo was all an attempt to save the bank, this did not just have consequences for Sean Quinn but the whole nation as is so widely seen today in every walk of life.

I think the just enforced existing legislation when they found out that other entities had liens on some of the assets Quinn claimed as capital on the books of Quinn insurance.

There is a good reason why insurance companies have capital requirements. Yo see why, here is an extreme example. I set up an insurance company that specialises in insuring against hurricane damage. I charge a bargain of 10 Euro a year to insure a house. I sign up 100,000 households. Between expenses and my own salary the company pays 900k a year. I'm sitting happy for the next 10 years. Company is making 100k a year and I'm very wealthy. There are zero hurricanes in Ireland.
    Then there is one down the south of the country and 100 people who are insured with me claim a total of 50 million in damages. I only have 1m accumulated profit. The company goes bankrupt and the insured people become creditors and get one-fiftieth of their claims in the liquidation process.
    The reason why it was not not acceptable to use assets that had a lien against them as capital is that they were not actually assets.
    Again another example. A guy in work asks you for a lend of 10k. Says he will pay you back 12k in one year. You say no, so he says "look, I have a brand new BMW worth 100k. If I don't pay you back, you can force me to sell it. You might feel secure then. But what if you then learn that he already has the same deal done with 10 other people and in fact the car was used as security for the loan he got to buy it! Suddenly your position is not secure. Basically, the security (capital) backing up your loan isn't worth anything because other people have a call on it first.

I take your point; Quinn was put into a situation where he was probably not the best person to have a policy with at that time due to his exposure to these huge loans.

"Their" money? If is gamble had turned out like he thought it would, and he had made a profit, would he say "this was their money, so I'll give them all the profit too and keep nothing myself". Because Quinn built up a business empire, and he did it by getting credit to buy and expand his businesses. Would he have insisted on giving any profit to German and French banks had his gamble worked?

From Anglo’s perspective, they are after Sean Quinn for the money he owes them, they feel entitled to this money but the transaction that occurred between Sean Quinn and Anglo was illegal as he was lied to. He expected to make money because he was told the principles of the bank were sound. If a company went bankrupt previous to the state guarantee it would not be the tax payers that foot the bill it is the bank. In this case when the bank goes bust it logically should be whoever lent them the money that foots the bill. If it was a success the French and German banks would have got a slice in the form of interest charged on the loan, this is how a capitalist economy works. I don’t think this is a controversial point.

The taxpayer is bailing out Anglo. If they didn't, then all the people who had savings in the Bank would have lost them. And all the people who, probably unbeknownst to them, had money invested in the Bank through their pension funds would have lost it too. And it probably would have cascaded through all the other Irish Banks very quickly. So it's disingenuous to imply that no Irish taxpayer would have lost out had the government not done what they did!

The deposit’s were not the issue here, these could easily have been guaranteed by the state up to 100,000 without any major issue which I think is standard practice in this type of action, the issue with the bank guarantee was the debt guarantee for the full amount, this was multiples of what should have been guaranteed.
    So if it emerged that Sean Fitzgerald had transferred a lot of Anglo assets to companies that he controlled in the Bahamas before he was ousted, you'd say "Ah, sure I'd do the same myself. Nothing wrong with that". Lots of other people lost money on Anglo. Do you think they should all be compensated? You seem to think that Quinn deserves to be compensated, but what about the other shareholders? Including of course Mr Fitzpatrick who also had loans from the Bank and owned a stake worth over 80 million at one stage? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Bank_hidden_loans_controversy#Background
    And just because you would keep it does not make it right! It is stealing from the people of Ireland. They are owed money by Quinn and he is putting his assets out of their reach or squandering them so that they cannot get repaid.

Hypothetically, if I came on here and voiced support for Drumm/Fitzpatrick and developers, would you disagree with me? Treat me with negativity? Because you refer negatively to these people in your post.

The reason I distinguish Sean Quinn from Sean Fitzpatrick is because it was Sean F (in part at least) that fooled the government/shareholders into investing in Anglo when he surely must have known the gig was up. He had access to all of the data and chose not to tell the full story or surely no-one would have touched it with a barge poll. But you are right, the hatred shown to Sean F is a bit over the top too, it is a distraction from the fact the entire system was designed badly and is still designed to fail. He found himself backed in a corner through ineptitude and an incomplete understanding of how world banking worked and tried some pretty crazy stuff to save his bacon. He should however face jail if they can prove that he lied about the state of the bank. I don’t think Sean Quinn should face jail because I believe as stated above the contract that he lost all is money on was illegal and therefore not valid.

Originally Posted by Mr Micro

In fairness, whatever about the millions used to attempt propping up Anglo shares and the illegality of those granting/receiving those sums, which is not the current issue with the courts at the minute, its about assets to the tune of about €500million, which are due to the bank re a legitimate loan for other reasons, which I do believe the Quinns admit they legally owe. So, I do not agree that its a witch hunt and the Quinns, it appears, have acted illegally to continue to put said assets out of the reach of the Banks/State/Taxpayer. I think the very fact that the taxpayer is the one footing all the bills and gets austerity in return is what is really galling the general public?
    He would have been able to repay this loan if he was not conned out of the 2.5 billion by Anglo. He was a multi billionaire up until recently remember..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I don’t think Sean Quinn should face jail because I believe as stated above the contract that he lost all is money on was illegal and therefore not valid.

He would have been able to repay this loan if he was not conned out of the 2.5 billion by Anglo. He was a multi billionaire up until recently remember..

He isn't facing jail because of the loan, it has not yet been determined if that was illegal or not. (Isn't that what the Anglo 3 were charged with last week? That court case has yet to be had.)

SQ faces jail because a court ordered him to stop selling off assets and he didn't comply with the court.

He accepted responsibility for the 500M loan and promised (in an interview, to the irish public) that he would pay that back. He has yet to do that. IRBC is trying to get this 500M back on behalf of the taxpayer.

Advertisement