Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adebayor (Mod warning Post #35)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It was actually a cameraman's chair I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lemlin wrote: »
    He gave Arsenal some good years and got very little respect in return.

I wish my employer gave me as little respect as he got in the form of £80.000 a week after walking around all summer 2008 with a "Come and get me barca or Milan" sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody see the white chair being thrown at Adebayor?
    You can see it in the middle of this pic.

12381781.png

And does anybody know what happened to the poor Ballboy that was sitting on it? :D

Also, I love the different reactions of the different fans!!

I'm sure the arsenal fans would try to claim, it was the Man City Ballboy who actually threw the chair......and all they were trying to do was to come onto the pitch to hug Adebayor and congratulate him for scoring. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »

money.jpg

players like him give the game a bad name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote: »

Well hopefully he stays loving you..... :p
    “Arsenal have a lot of fans who are not fans . . . they have fans from America and Jamaica. Today they are Arsenal fans, tomorrow they will be Liverpool fans and after tomorrow they will be Manchester United fans.”

– Emmanuel Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He gave Arsenal some good years and got very little respect in return. He scored 46 goals in 104 games for Arsenal and only cost about 4 million. They sold him for 25 million so they made 20 million and got a striker who scored a goal every other game for three years. Yet the fans even produced a mock brochure trying to sell him in the Summer FFS!

I take it you're not an Arsenal fan and as such wouldn't have followed him as closely as the rest of us. You can talk about the good years he gave us and goals he scored and profit we made on him (even though this is down to Wenger and the scouting staffs talent spotting skills), but one way or another he forced his way out of the club for money (like many players do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Kirby wrote: »
    Again, this isn't his fault. Its the fault of the Arsenal fan who threw the missile.

I make a funny gesture at you....you get mad and knock somebody out. Thats my fault, is it? For inciting you? :p

Keep your funny gestures to yourself mate:D

Im not taking away from what the arsenal fans reaction was but as a footballer you know what the outcome would be if you celebrate like that in front of supporters. Someone could get hurt. Its why its being cracked down on. So a player with his head on straight wouldnt do it. You wont see owen do it if he scores for UTD against liverpool I can bet you that. Adeboyor would have made his point with a bit more dignity if he had celebrated with his own fans. I think that is fair to say. Anyway I dont think he deserves a ban for the celebration, just a fine and it should come from the club.

You wont see owen do it if he scores for UTD against liverpool I can bet you that..

Some Pool fans will clap him on his return. Obviously some will boo, but some wont..
    And most importantly, Liverpool fans didn't boo Owen while he was still a liverpool player. Gunners fans did that to Adebayor.

Obviously, Owen is a much nicef bloke. No question there. But they are different situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

BaZmO* wrote: »

And does anybody know what happened to the poor Ballboy that was sitting on it? :D

They are still investigating it but they suspect Adebayor ate him.....

Some Pool fans will clap him on his return. Obviously some will boo, but some wont..
    And most importantly, Liverpool fans didn't boo Owen while he was still a liverpool player. Gunners fans did that to Adebayor.

Obviously, Owen is a much nice bloke. No question there. But they are different situations.

First point. He flaunted himself to whoever was the highest bidder a year ago. And then proceeded to put in some of the most lazy performances you could have seen from a professional footballer. I doubt city fans wouldnt do the same with a player who did that to your club.

Secondly. Thats my point all along. With Owen, you would have a bit of class and dignity with adebayor, you have none.

Im not an arsenal supporter by the way.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    They are still investigating it but they suspect Adebayor ate him.....

with some father beans ..... and a nice kianty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

He deserved every single boo he got, he is a disgrace to his profession. And the ego of the man is such that he thinks the Arsenal supporters should have given him unconditional love for kissing his badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Owen? Class & dignity?

Lads, the expression "wolf in sheeps clothing" was invented for Michael Owen.

He is nothing but a self serving mercenary. Same as Adebayour, however he plans on milking all the money he can so he can invest in the horsies so puts on a respectable front so he can stay as marketable as possible.

Owen is not what people think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »

players like him give the game a bad name

was just about to post a similar picture.

if you think he's about anything but himself or money, well, i'm sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

inforfun wrote: »
    I wish my employer gave me as little respect as he got in the form of £80.000 a week after walking around all summer 2008 with a "Come and get me barca or Milan" sign.

I didn't see him walking around with a "come and get me barca or Milan sign". Have you any proof of this or just listening to the tabloids?

I also wasn't talking about respect from Arsenal football club. I was talking about the respect he got from the fans - none.

Alan Shearer played great years for Blackburn. He then came back to play for Newcastle in a cup game and scored. He had been booed through the game by a small section. The majority of Blackburn fans were delighted that, even though Blackburn had lost, they had lost to a Shearer goal and he had scored and shut up these idiots who were booing a good servant of the club.

I commend players like Beckham and Adeyabor who confront the fans - idiots who shout abuse about their families and the players themselves. What would you do if you were walking down the street and somebody started roaring expletives at you?

What, just because he's on a football pitch and being paid to be there, these idiots can shout what they like at him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I didn't see him walking around with a "come and get me barca or Milan sign". Have you any proof of this or just listening to the tabloids?

This came up when i googled just there but there's plenty more examples
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/2304361/Arsenal-striker-Emmanuel-Adebayor-interested-in-Barcelona-move.html
    "Milan are a big club but the fact they are not playing in the Champions League next season is less of a challenge.
    "Barcelona have made a good financial offer and there is also the chance to play alongside great players.
    "Yes, I am still under contract to Arsenal but it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave.
    "If my good form of last season has increased my value, my employers have to take account of that.
    "I have to prepare for my retirement. Even if you are not scoring fine goals and you have money, you can enjoy a happy retirement.
    "The time for preparing for that moment is now."
    The former Monaco striker also believes he should be given parity with ex-team-mate Thierry Henry.
    "People ask if I am asking for the same salary as Henry. That is not necessarily the question.
    "But I am being considered a worthy replacement for Henry while not deserving his salary. The question lies on this level."

Also, the Arsenal fans clapped Toure and still show great support for him. It's just cause of the way Adebayor has acted that he was treated that way. His honeymoon period with city will run out eventually and I'm sure we'll see the same stuff again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What would you do if you were walking down the street and somebody started roaring expletives at you?
    I'm not being paid 100K a week to walk down the street though.

Although I do agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

playa3 wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/2304361/Arsenal-striker-Emmanuel-Adebayor-interested-in-Barcelona-move.html

Also, the Arsenal fans clapped Toure and still show great support for him. It's just cause of the way Adebayor has acted that he was treated that way. His honeymoon period with city will run out eventually and I'm sure we'll see the same stuff again.

All this is why I was glad he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Bellamy is good fella.

an absolute headcase, but a good fella none the less!

lol what a post
    Owen is not what people think he is.

Do you know all these players personally? Or are you just ignoring certain fhhacts and highlighting others?

• Advertisement

I also wasn't talking about respect from Arsenal football club. I was talking about the respect he got from the fans - none.

Alan Shearer played great years for Blackburn. He then came back to play for Newcastle in a cup game and scored. He had been booed through the game by a small section. The majority of Blackburn fans were delighted that, even though Blackburn had lost, they had lost to a Shearer goal and he had scored and shut up these idiots who were booing a good servant of the club.

Why does he deserve respect from Arsenal fans? Comparing him to Shearer, who was a brilliant player for Blackburn and always gave 100% is just hilarious. Arsenal fans didn't boo Henry or Ljungberg or Sol Campbell when they returned after moving, in fact the only former players I can remember being booed are Adebayor, Anelka and Ashley Cole, all of whom deserved it imo.

"Milan are a big club but the fact they are not playing in the Champions League next season is less of a challenge.
    "Barcelona have made a good financial offer and there is also the chance to play alongside great players.
    "Yes, I am still under contract to Arsenal but it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave.
    "If my good form of last season has increased my value, my employers have to take account of that.
    "I have to prepare for my retirement. Even if you are not scoring fine goals and you have money, you can enjoy a happy retirement.
    "The time for preparing for that moment is now."
    The former Monaco striker also believes he should be given parity with ex-team-mate Thierry Henry.
    "People ask if I am asking for the same salary as Henry. That is not necessarily the question.
    "But I am being considered a worthy replacement for Henry while not deserving his salary. The question lies on this level."

When you put it like that, his own mother should be booing him. :p A point well made. He deserved the booing.

playa3 wrote: »

I don't see what he's doing wrong there in that article from the Telegraph. He isn't saying he wants to go. He is using the interest of other clubs to get himself a better deal.

He's a professional trying to get the best payment he can for his skill. People do it every day in life. If you were offered a job with another company who offered to pay you more, would you not go in and show their offer to your boss and ask him to increase his?

Adeyabor isn't the first player to do this and he won't be the last. It's why there is a thing called the "free market".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Have Arsenal announced whether they will be investigating video footage of their fans attempts to enter the playing arena? While what Adebayor did was a bit thick he was punished on the field of play for his transgression so that should be the end of it.
    With regard to the 'stamp' i do actually think it's debatable as to whether or not it was deliberate, it's a very slippery slope though if ade gets the same panel that decided that shearers kick at neil lennon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_7WGYa9nQ
    was accidental he could be okay,
    will bendtners kick at ade during his dribble down the wing be investigated too? you can't have trial by television unless every single incident is treated the same way and not just those that draw most attention from the redtops.

jasonorr wrote: »
    I take it you're not an Arsenal fan and as such wouldn't have followed him as closely as the rest of us. You can talk about the good years he gave us and goals he scored and profit we made on him (even though this is down to Wenger and the scouting staffs talent spotting skills), but one way or another he forced his way out of the club for money (like many players do).

And what of players who have forced their way out of clubs to get to Arsenal? Do you worry about them too? Did William Glass not kick up a fuss about trying to get over to the Emirates when at Chelsea?

That's the nature of footballers.

dereko1969 wrote: »
    Have Arsenal announced whether they will be investigating video footage of their fans attempts to enter the playing arena? While what Adebayor did was a bit thick he was punished on the field of play for his transgression so that should be the end of it.
    With regard to the 'stamp' i do actually think it's debatable as to whether or not it was deliberate, it's a very slippery slope though if ade gets the same panel that decided that shearers kick at neil lennon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_7WGYa9nQ
    will bendtners kick at ade during his dribble down the wing be investigated too? you can't have trial by television unless every single incident is treated the same way and not just those that draw most attention from the redtops.

You can if the incident is as disgraceful as Adebayors.
    Pointing out smaller incidents in the game do not detract from what he did. It was by far the worst incident which is why its been looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And what of players who have forced their way out of clubs to get to Arsenal? Do you worry about them too? Did William Glass not kick up a fuss about trying to get over to the Emirates when at Chelsea?

A lot of what you say is correct Lemlin. Football is a mercenary sport these days, especially at the top level.

Anyway, I've no real problem with Adebayor doing what he did but you must understand that after agitating for a move and eventually getting a much bigger pay packet, he put in pretty much zero effort on the pitch.

Also, in the first meaningless pre-season game back after the above quotes, he scored a meaningless penalty, won by someone else, after which he ran to fans kissing the clubs badge - a bit rich no?

If he felt he was worth the cash he should have just kept his head down and kept working.

Instead, he stopped really trying at Arsenal, gave several inflammatory interviews, criticised the fans as much as I've ever seen a player do and made it all very very personal.

I mean FFS, look at Eboue. No Arsenal supporter really likes him and we've got plenty of reason not to but he just keeps his mouth shut and get's on with it - Adebayor on the other hand demands publicity.

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make here because it definitely not the point you started off making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Does Van Persie get a 3 match ban for his shocking tackle on Adebayour?

It was a great tackle - he won the ball and set up a counter attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The Greater Manchester Police have said that he was directly responsible for the unrest among the travelling Arsenal support (stating the obvious I know) and the resulting injuries to a Manchester City Steward. I still cant believe how stupid he's been.

I wasn't 100% sure that Arsenal had done the correct thing but I know realise that they've made the correct decision in letting him leave.

dereko1969 wrote: »

Arsenal dont need to investigate the fans. Even the police have said that Adebayor was the cause of any unrest among Arsenal Fans. If he had kept his celebrations civilised this whole sorry mess would not have happened

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    Arsenal dont need to investigate the fans. Even the police have said that Adebayor was the cause of any unrest among Arsenal Fans. If he had kept his celebrations civilised this whole sorry mess would not have happened

I agree with this to a certain extent, but any fan who threw stuff on the pitch or at the stewards has no excuse and should be punished. The FA or the police should definitely investigate them, I don't think it's for Arsenal to look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

gosplan wrote: »
    A lot of what you say is correct Lemlin. Football is a mercenary sport these days, especially at the top level.

Anyway, I've no real problem with Adebayor doing what he did but you must understand that after agitating for a move and eventually getting a much bigger pay packet, he put in pretty much zero effort on the pitch.

Also, in the first meaningless pre-season game back after the above quotes, he scored a meaningless penalty, won by someone else, after which he ran to fans kissing the clubs badge - a bit rich no?

If he felt he was worth the cash he should have just kept his head down and kept working.

Instead, he stopped really trying at Arsenal, gave several inflammatory interviews, criticised the fans as much as I've ever seen a player do and made it all very very personal.

I mean FFS, look at Eboue. No Arsenal supporter really likes him and we've got plenty of reason not to but he just keeps his mouth shut and get's on with it - Adebayor on the other hand demands publicity.

This is a perfect summary of the Adebayor situation. His head was turned by his agent after the 2007-2008 season and he was on his way only for Wenger wanted to keep him and he instead "settled" for a large pay increase. However the damage with the Arsenal fans was done and instead of trying to win back them back on the pitch he just wasn't bothered. I was glad to see the back of him. I think time will show him to be a very talented footballer but highly temperamental. Another Anelka.

Wreck wrote: »
    I agree with this to a certain extent, but any fan who threw stuff on the pitch or at the stewards has no excuse and should be punished. The FA or the police should definitely investigate them, I don't think it's for Arsenal to look into.

But you cant punish the fans without punishing the player who caused it. Throwing stuff cant be tolerated or excused in any circumstances but in this case the fans reacted to a direct taunt form an ex player who had just scored for the opposition and went out of his way ran the length of the pitch to rub their noses in it.

I'm not an arsenal supporter but if I was one of them on Saturday I would not have appreciated this from an ex player and would have struggled not to react in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But you cant punish the fans without punishing the player who caused it.

are you saying you can't punish the player unless you are punishing the fans too?

Paleface wrote: »
    This is a perfect summary of the Adebayor situation. His head was turned by his agent after the 2007-2008 season and he was on his way only for Wenger wanted to keep him and he instead "settled" for a large pay increase. However the damage with the Arsenal fans was done and instead of trying to win back them back on the pitch he just wasn't bothered. I was glad to see the back of him. I think time will show him to be a very talented footballer but highly temperamental. Another Anelka.

I agree. His whole handling of this affair leaves a lot to be desired. He has done himself and his club a lot of harm and has generated publicity that both could have done without.

I've always been indifferent to Manchester City but now I hope they win nothing. (I'm not a manchester united supporter) Somehow I dont think Carlos Tevez would react in the same way if he were to score at old trafford next week.

But you cant punish the fans without punishing the player who caused it. .

Yes, you can. He didn't use mind control. He didn't hold their families hostage and make them throw missiles, injuring a stewart. They have free will. And they exercised it. "being annoyed" is not an excuse for acting like a bunch of hooligans.

are you saying you can't punish the player unless you are punishing the fans too?

No I was responding to a previous that asked if the arsenal would be investigated for their attempts to enter the pitch. In response i said that their response stemmed from a direct taunt from a former player who had just scored for the opposition and who ran the length of the pitch to rub the arsenal supporters' noses in it. I suggested that on this basis how can you investigate arsenal fans without first investigating the player who caused this commotion

But you cant punish the fans without punishing the player who caused it. Throwing stuff cant be tolerated or excused in any circumstances but in this case the fans reacted to a direct taunt form an ex player who had just scored for the opposition and went out of his way ran the length of the pitch to rub their noses in it.

I'm not an arsenal supporter but if I was one of them on Saturday I would not have appreciated this from an ex player and would have struggled not to react in some form.

Oh yeah I agree with you, I think Adebayor should definitely be punished, and almost certainly will be. Incitment is not just am offense on the football field, it's a criminal offense too (although I think it's now called something else in the UK at least), and Adebayor's celebration was certainly inflammatory.

Yes, you can. He didn't use mind control. He didn't hold their families hostage and make them throw missiles, injuring a stewart. They have free will. And they exercised it. "being annoyed" is not an excuse for acting like a bunch of hooligans.

Emmanuel Adebayor showed an utter lack of class and respect by behaving in the way he did and to expect that the arsenal supporters just stand there and not react is utterly nonsensical. What did you expect?

People get annoyed if you taunt them. Simple human nature

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR CAUSED THEIR REACTION DIRECTLY.

Wreck wrote: »
    Oh yeah I agree with you, I think Adebayor should definitely be punished, and almost certainly will be. Incitment is not just am offense on the football field, it's a criminal offense too (although I think it's now called something else in the UK at least), and Adebayor's celebration was certainly inflammatory.

I would be very surprised if anything other than a ban were to result but I would agree that some form of punishment should be issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I would be very surprised if anything other than a ban were to result but I would agree that some form of punishment should be issued.
    Gary Neville did it against Liverpool and got a £5,000 fine.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

United fan here, I personally thought that was legendary from Adebayor, was just 100% unadulterated passion and was great to see that sort of passion.

All i will say is:

alig_respectnew.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lemlin, Adebayor treated the Arsenal fans with a total lack of respect over the last two years so he doesn't deserve any in return. In 2008 he started demanding a second payrise in 12 months on the back of one good season - he wasn't a good servant for Arsenal, it was the other way around. Wenger took him from being a player who 'never going to play for Monaco again' and put his faith in him. He also got a lot of support from Arsenal fans well before he started to produce any performances.

For nearly two months of summer 2008 he was angling for a move to anyone who would pay him what he felt he deserved. For this entire period we had to listen to him and his agent talking every other day about how awesome he is, how he's the new Henry, how many clubs want him, how he's outgrown Arsenal etc. Then his move failed to materialise, he was given his new contract he and came out and made the incredibly insulting claim that he loved the club and never wanted to leave, and kissed the badge after scoring a goal in pre-season. The following season he then went and produced some of the laziest, half arsed performances for us you're likely to see, all the while giving interviews slagging off the Arsenal fans, blaming them for the whole situation (this is despite the majority still cheering him on at games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Yea but that's ok because it's Neville. :cool:

Smegball wrote: »
    United fan here, I personally thought that was legendary from Adebayor, was just 100% unadulterated passion and was great to see that sort of passion.

All i will say is:

alig_respectnew.jpg

It was moronic.

All i will say is:

alig_respectnew.jpg

If Carlos Tevez does that next week if he does score at Old Trafford would you call it a legendary show of passion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If Carlos Tevez does that next week if he does score at Old Trafford would you call it a legendary show of passion then?

:pac:

Good point, but Tevez is up against Vidic :)

Hope te god this doesn't bite me back in the arse again :pac::pac:

:pac:

Good point, but Tevez is up against Vidic :)

Hope te god this doesn't bite me back in the arse again :pac::pac:

I dont mean any offence.

Its just that I'm an Aston Villa supporter and was in St Andrews yesterday. If an Ex Villa player had done what Adebayor did there would have been a riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

kenon wrote: »
    Gary Neville did it against Liverpool and got a £5,000 fine.
    Gary Neville is/was an England international at the time. Hell of a difference in the FA's/media's eye's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who were the fans who chanted "Same Old Arsenal, Always Cheating"?

So appropriate here. :D

Advertisement