Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert paper leaked by superintendent hoping for overtime?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭

Some of you might have heard that the Leaving Cert English paper 2 has been postponed until Saturday. It was due to be sat tomorrow, but an exam supervisor in a school in Drogheda "mistakenly" opened the wrong box of exam papers today and the information was leaked to students all over the country.

Now there's been an outcry over the matter and several people calling for the supervisor's head. But what hasn't been mentioned is that 1. she's due to get her pension this year and 2. that she's a close relative of a member of the ASTI committee.

The ASTI has been complaining about teacher cutbacks, etc, but they haven't got very far this year as the Dept. of Education is indeed carrying some excess baggage. One of the ways teachers have traditionally tried to augment their income is by supervising exams. It turns out the supervisors will now not only be paid for working tomorrow (even though they won't work) but will get a whole day's pay at time and a half for Saturday. This could mean over a quarter of a million euro coming out of taxpayers' pockets and into the supervisors. Well worth a few days of notoriety.

Now it could just be a coincidence, but the facts are a bit too strange to pass up. Can anyone shed more light on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I like to employ Hanlon's Razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nice thinking, but she was obviously just an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

At least it's something different!

Do you really think that leaking a state exam for a bit of overtime would be worth the potential trouble she could get in for doing it? I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

At least it's something different!

Do you really think that leaking a state exam for a bit of overtime would be worth the potential trouble she could get in for doing it? I really doubt it.

maybe not for one person, but she'll be well taken care of by the union no doubt

After all, she's a public servant on the verge of retirement. What's the worst trouble she can possibly get in?

RoundTower wrote: »
    maybe not for one person, but she'll be well taken care of by the union no doubt

After all, she's a public servant on the verge of retirement. What's the worst trouble she can possibly get in?

Criminal charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

King Mob wrote: »
    Criminal charges.

again, she's a public servant who has just helped out a powerful union. No judge in the world would convict her. Especially when people like you are so quick to jump to the conclusion that it must be just incompetence.

again, she's a public servant who has just helped out a powerful union. No judge in the world would convict her. Especially when people like you are so quick to jump to the conclusion that it must be just incompetence.
    You mean assuming someone is innocent till they are proven guilty?

I would hope that all judges are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Now it could just be a coincidence, but the facts are a bit too strange to pass up.

Which facts are "too strange"?

We have a teacher close to retirement, so they've presumably been doing this routine for years. Said teacher doesn't apply due dilligence in what they are doing and makes what can only be described at a dopey mistake.

The people you'd most expect to make a stupid mistake like this are exactly those who've been doing it for so long that they go on "autopilot" and who are getting on in years.

So far, there's nothing strange about that.

OK...the teacher in question has a relative on the ASTI committee. I've no idea how large that committee is, so I can't comment on how coincidental or otherwise that is.

A quarter of a million euro may seem like a lot for this mistake, but bear in mind that the individual gain will be far less. Not only that, but everyone effected will have to give up whatever they had planned for the weekend day in question....with literally no notice.

As for being "well taken care" of for this...ASTI (as a union) don't make a red cent from this, so why would they take care of her? Its entirely possible that the members of ASTI are collectively more p1ssed off at losing a weekend at short notice then they are at earning a bit of pocket change. I have family who are teachers...I know that they have plans most weekends. Cancelling those to sit another exam...they're not going to be happy. They'll do it, and they'll take the money, but seriously...its not like they get rich from it.

In the absence of any indication of premeditation, organisation, or other evidence, then I certainly side with the "innocent till proven guilty" and "Hanlon's Razor" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I may be wrong, but aren't there 3 main teachers unions in Ireland? The ASTI, the TUI, and another one (possibly INTO). I know the ASTI is the main one for secondary school teachers.

And again, I may be wrong, but I don't actually think you have to be a secondary school teacher to supervise them. But its been a few years since I did the LC so I might be completely wrong on everything I just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

Conspiracy? I think so.
    You've got it all wrong though. FF and the Greens organized the superintendent to make the cockup so that all us Leaving Cert students would be too busy studying tomorrow to go to the polls and batter them. They know us young'uns are rowdy, revolutionary "CHANGE!" types and they're just trying to save their council seats by any means possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr. Gruff wrote: »
    Conspiracy? I think so.
    You've got it all wrong though. FF and the Greens organized the superintendent to make the cockup so that all us Leaving Cert students would be too busy studying tomorrow to go to the polls and batter them. They know us young'uns are rowdy, revolutionary "CHANGE!" types and they're just trying to save their council seats by any means possible!

Whereas if the exam hadn't been changed, you'd be free to go down and vote in the middle of it?

With respect, voting takes 5-10 minutes. I really doubt that FF and the Greens would do all this and yet still not expect such revolutionary students who demand change to quickly wander down in the evening anyway and vote seeing as its obviously so important to them.

Even then, I'd say FF and the Greens would just expect most of the students to vote for whichever canditate is teh hottist or write Lily Allen on the paper a load of times. I mean, these are the same students who, given a petition to sign because of the changed exam, wrote things like the following:
    No. 2636. - Lily Allen
    'I take it up the poop hole. I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up thI take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.I take it up the poop hole.e poop hole. And Susan'
    No. 2377. - LOLLIE PUMPKIN WALL
    I have a great body ... RIPPED
    1011. - Sean O grady
    Missing my drinking session on Friday = [

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is the OP the crank that rang Joe Duffy yesterday saying there's alterior motives behind the wrong paper beng handed out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Jip warned.

Lets keep this civil, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Some of you might have heard that the Now there's been an outcry over the matter and several people calling for the supervisor's head. But what hasn't been mentioned is that 1. she's due to get her pension this year and 2. that she's a close relative of a member of the ASTI committee.

little heads up lads, SHE is infact a HE
    just goes to show how men don't pay enough attention, as per usual:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

little heads up lads, SHE is infact a HE
    just goes to show how men don't pay enough attention, as per usual:P

Sexism is fine if it's directed against men lol

Advertisement