Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Wexford Town

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All

After a very rough 2014, I've decided to pack it all in and move from Dublin to Wexford town. I have some interviews lined up and, thankfully, have somewhere to stay in Gorey.

I've been on daft looking for apartments for the past couple of weeks, and have some places picked out. My question is, why haven't these places been snapped up really quickly?

Any advice/insider info. on renting in Wexford town would be really appreciated. For example, there's a good few apartments in Melrose Court for rent, but they have all been available for months. I've heard flooding is an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can't imagine flooding being a problem there as they are on a hill as such. I imagine there was more anti social problems there than flooding but that's me just being speculative.

Where else have you been looking? Whats the monthly budget? What size property do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nynaeve

Thanks for replying, those apartments in melrose court were really confusing me! Maybe that's being used to Dublin rental prices though

A one bed is all I need because I'm on my own, but a two bed for a decent price would be good!

I'm hoping to keep it within €500, I've no idea what salaries are being offered so it depends on that (I can't imagine it being anymore than 21/22k if I'm honest)

It has to be close to centre of Wexford town because I don't drive (yet - That's something I'll really have to get going with to live down here) :P I think I'll probably just have to go in and walk around...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I rented in Melrose a good few years ago, only problem I had was the damp, very bad damp!

That doesn't sound good! Are there any other apartments in Wexford that you would recommend? Some places are offering waste and recycling as part of the rent which is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone who doesn't offer to include bins in the rent would be out of sync with normal landlords these days. It seems to be the default setting from places I've looked at in Wexford & Carlow though given you're coming down from Dublin things may be different up there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I moved down fromenu dublin a few years ago, definitely makes sense to come down and get a feel for the place. I lived on Georges street for my first two years and loved it though I was in a house. Loved being able to walk everywhere. The apartments around the quay look realy nice, I'm sure some of the regulars on here will be able to help out with names. A lot of the estate agents are really helpfup, might be worth calling one of them and telling them exactly what you want and they'll stay in touch with everything that comes up. Would be happy to share who we used by pm or any other info you might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Tusker House seems decent and has bins included, they are very modern and clean and very secure with a large password gate. I don't know about the rest the people in them however but never heard anything too bad and you would be situated right in town, beside a Supervalue, plenty of great pubs, men's shopping and a chemist (Boots). Only downside would be storage heating, but if you are like me when I lived alone, I would just put on an extra jumper and stick it out or exercise!

Other option would be Key West. Great views onto the quay, unreal scenery for approx 550 a month, I know because I was about to take one of them. All the same advantages and disadvantages as the above.

I would stay away from houses in general though they are warmer and tend to have more attentive landlords. Houses in the town centre tend to be generally run down or quite old. Though I wouldn't rule it out together, have a look on Daft.ie.

Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to get my walking shoes on, have a look around and head into some of the estate agents this weekend.

It's the first time I've rented on my own, so I'm probably thinking too much into it :P but the advice on specific apartment blocks etc. has been a great help. Looking forward to getting started now.

Oh and I'm definitely a "put another jumper on" kind of girl, heating is probably last on my list of priorities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Nynaeve wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to get my walking shoes on, have a look around and head into some of the estate agents this weekend.

It's the first time I've rented on my own, so I'm probably thinking too much into it :P but the advice on specific apartment blocks etc. has been a great help. Looking forward to getting started now.

Oh and I'm definitely a "put another jumper on" kind of girl, heating is probably last on my list of priorities :D

Ignore my comment on the male shops so :)

Advertisement