Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donal Og documentary RTE 19/01/2015

Options
  • 13-01-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Donal Og Cusack will present a documentary on RTE 1 at 9.35 pm next Monday 19/01/2015.

"Coming out of the curve" is about gay rights at home and abroad.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Immediately after that show (Monday 19th, 10:35, RTE 1) Colin Farrell is being interviewed on the Claire Byrne show, he will be speaking about his gay brother and promoting the yes side of the referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Immediately after that show (Monday 19th, 10:35, RTE 1) Colin Farrell is being interviewed on the Claire Byrne show, he will be speaking about his gay brother and promoting the yes side of the referendum

Thanks for letting us know - I look forward to watching both shows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Good programme.
    Donal is one great role model for gay youngsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Good programme.
    Donal is one great role model for gay youngsters.

What makes him especially great?

Inspirational, non-judgemental, encouraging, self-effacing and authentic.

• Advertisement

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Inspirational, non-judgemental, encouraging, self-effacing and authentic.

Really? Each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What makes him especially great?

He is an authentic down to earth man who does a lot of great work in helping young people feel comfortable in their own skin as well as breaking stereotypes like gay people are bad/disinterested in sport. He speaks to the whole country well - very respectable guy. The whole family are a credit to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Really? Each to their own I suppose.

You obviously have an opinion of him too. Why don't you elaborate and provide evidence to back up your opinion otherwise such statements as above are meaningless.

Personally, I admire him as he could so easily not decide to be in the public eye, especially considering he had to fly almost solo in the world of GAA to be open and not oppressed about his sexuality. He allows other men and women who may be in similar situations and who are confused and closeted because of their sexuality to see that there are positive alternatives out there.

He has done outstanding amounts of work tackling anti-bullying and homophobic behaviour, particularly in schools and among young people. There is one particular speech on Youtube where he spoke at a rally in Derry that was particularly remarkable. He helps normalise being gay among those that previously had little knowledge or empathy about what being gay was and is for gay people.

ongarboy wrote: »
    You obviously have an opinion of him too. Why don't you elaborate and provide evidence to back up your opinion otherwise such statements as above are meaningless.

How on earth is it meaningless to respectfully acknowledge another persons divergent opinion? The tone of your post as I can deduce it indicates that my different opinion is a source of irritation for you. That is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How on earth is it meaningless to respectfully acknowledge another persons divergent opinion? The tone of your post as I can deduce it indicates that my different opinion is a source of irritation for you. That is a pity.

Just wondering what your beef is with him. It's irritating when someone seems to be contrarian for the same of it.

• Advertisement

J_E wrote: »
    Just wondering what your beef is with him. It's irritating when someone seems to be contrarian for the same of it.

'Beef'...

I don't know Mr Cusack so I certainly don't have any beef with him personally. I have some issues with the nature of the 'celebrity gay' culture that our community engages in. That is certainly not Mr Cusack's fault nor is it particularly unique to the gay community but rather it is a societal factor. It just irks me. At the same time I don't deny the work Mr Cusack has done or the benefit of having out and proud 'non-stereotypical' gay people.

I have some issues with the nature of the 'celebrity gay' culture that our community engages in.

Most "celebrities" are famous for having little or no talent eg Kerry Katona and her ex-husband, Katie Price famous for I don't quite know what, etc.
    Cusack is an accomplished GAA hurler at the top of his game with 3 All Ireland medals.
    He also made the brave decision to come out in a sport that is quite conservative, or rather controlled by a conservative mind set.
    He's spoken eloquently about his sexuality, mentored younger gay and lesbian youth, and is a fantastic representative for the vast majority of gay people who don't parade about in a thong. He's the antithesis to how the media has often portrayed gay people, and with that wonderful Cork accent a breath of fresh air. The more exposure he gets the better for us all.
    If he gets exposure, it's for the right reason, not for a bad behaviour or for getting a tattoo on his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I absolutely despise the man.

However the 17 year seemed genuine when he said he felt better about coming out because Donal came out. If more gay kids feel like that then tis a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I think he seems like a decent skin, but that's not really the point. I thought this documentary was excellent. Broad strokes, but still very good.

Advertisement