Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

let parents are good?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 12:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭

4980750+_444665d479775a558c20c95d034c7988.png

So LBGT say a m/for upbringing is not the ideal, do they have any proof

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I call bull**** at line 5. It costs a fortune for LG couples to have kids, certainly not something you could do on welfare.

Lines 1-4 aren't indicative of anything useful at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

ninty9er wrote: »
    I call bull**** at line 5. It costs a fortune for LG couples to have kids, certainly not something you could do on welfare.

Lines 1-4 aren't indicative of anything useful at all

Lesbians can get sperm anywhere it costs nothing, any plenty of women help gay men have kids, 1-4 are rated in the green red either, just give data

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is each group represented by identical socioeconomic percentages and absolutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

One might think that maybe the problems growing up with those kind of parents is that they are not normally accepted, therefore the disturbance.
    I really do not think a problem of this kind can be tackled with mere statistics.
    The latter, by the way, fail across the board in describing most problems and situations.

Would also be useful to know the sample, where research was conducted and by who.

I would not say any of the cathegories is better, especially because I know absolutely nobody with gay/bisexual parents. Are there really any around?

One might think that maybe the problems growing up with those kind of parents is that they are not normally accepted, therefore the disturbance.
    I really do not think a problem of this kind can be tackled with mere statistics.
    The latter, by the way, fail across the board in describing most problems and situations.

Would also be useful to know the sample, where research was conducted and by who.

I would not say any of the cathegories is better, especially because I know absolutely nobody with gay/bisexual parents. Are there really any around?

Not many in Ireland thank god, but if the referendum passes there is the chance for more, the info for the research is on the image

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The infamous Dr Mark Regnerus study!

LOL

macyard wrote: »
    Not many in Ireland thank god, but if the referendum passes there is the chance for more, the info for the research is on the image

Seriously, what would even be the problem?
    Honestly, since when are gay people evil? What is the difference?

The infamous Dr Mark Regnerus study!

LOL

It's a peer reviewed academic study

Seriously, what would even be the problem?
    Honestly, since when are gay people evil? What is the difference?

Did you not look at the image and the hurt it causes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

It's a peer reviewed academic study
    Regnerus has conducted research on the impact of a child having a parent who has been involved in a same-sex relationship. A 2012 population-based study of his in Social Science Research[9] generated protracted debate and controversy.[10][11] This included a disavowal by Regnerus' department chair at the University of Texas-Austin, in which Christine L. Williams cites the American Sociological Association, "which takes the position that the conclusions he draws from his study of gay parenting are fundamentally flawed on conceptual and methodological grounds and that findings from Dr. Regnerus’ work have been cited inappropriately in efforts to diminish the civil rights and legitimacy of LBGTQ partners and their families."[12] Two hundred social scientists, led by Gary Gates, signed the "Letter to the editors and advisory editors of Social Science Research",[13] in which they express their concern "about the academic integrity of the peer review process for this paper as well as its intellectual merit."[14] Regnerus continues to defend the research.[15][16]

The controversy also resulted in an audit of the review process used by Social Science Research

Peer review has its problems as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I grew up in a traditional family but a lot of those things have applied to me. I've been unemployed, had therapy, been abused, been in a family in receipt of welfare. None of those things had anything to do with my family, it was bad luck and circumstances. Is it my parents fault my dad had an accident and had to claim disability? Is it my parents fault my industry was decimated in the recession? That's just life. I know lots of people who also come from traditional families who have had to deal with crap in their lives. Nothing to do with your family.

Maybe part of the reason these adult children of single parents and gay couples are more likely to suffer these things is down to the way society views their family. If you grow up feeling second best or unequal then it's bound to have an affect on your psyche. But that's not the fault of your parents. The best way to change those outcomes is to have equal value for all family units and better support for those who need it.

Duddy wrote: »
    Peer review has its problems as well.

I have said that about the pro gay ones but all I get is OMG SO BIGOT my studies are SO FACT BITCH

eviltwin wrote: »
    I grew up in a traditional family but a lot of those things have applied to me. I've been unemployed, had therapy, been abused, been in a family in receipt of welfare. None of those things had anything to do with my family, it was bad luck and circumstances. Is it my parents fault my dad had an accident and had to claim disability? Is it my parents fault my industry was decimated in the recession? That's just life. I know lots of people who also come from traditional families who have had to deal with crap in their lives. Nothing to do with your family.

Maybe part of the reason these adult children of single parents and gay couples are more likely to suffer these things is down to the way society views their family. If you grow up feeling second best or unequal then it's bound to have an affect on your psyche. But that's not the fault of your parents. The best way to change those outcomes is to have equal value for all family units and better support for those who need it.

Agree on everything!
    Sorry for the tragic past though, that's heavy!

So LBGT say a m/for upbringing is not the ideal, do they have any proof

Oh, here's some proof (some of many). A longitudinal study on the children of lesbian parents - has resulted in 20 publications, each peer reviewed :pac:
    https://www.nllfs.org/publications/

Macyard, if you want to say you hate gays or think they're icky or whatever, that's fine, we live in a society that allows you to say that.

But don't pretend you're a concerned citizen looking for a rational debate, your disguise is incredibly transparent.

Oh, here's some proof (some of many). A longitudinal study on the children of lesbian parents - has resulted in 20 publications, each peer reviewed :pac:
    https://www.nllfs.org/publications/

Macyard, if you want to say you hate gays or think they're icky or whatever, that's fine, we live in a society that allows you to say that.

But don't pretend you're a concerned citizen looking for a rational debate, your disguise is incredibly transparent.

I have no issues with gays other then their I'm socially right bigot attitude, a m/f up bring will alway be best

I have no issues with gays other then their I'm socially right bigot attitude, a m/f up bring will alway be best

No it won't because married couples are not one homogeneous group. They are individuals and some will be better than others.

I have said that about the pro gay ones but all I get is OMG SO BIGOT my studies are SO FACT BITCH

haha, that would be true if you were quoting similar situations, i.e. one anti-gay study gets discredited by the liberals, and one pro-gay study gets discredited by the conservatives.

But that's not the case, is it? Studies (and I can link them if you'd like) show overwhelming evidence that LGBT parents can bring up children the same (and some have shown better;)) as straight parents. Different journals, different authors - if peer-review was this bad then we wouldn't have it in academia at all.

It would be great if everyone approached an argument looking at the specific facts of the situation, like you are maintaining you are - but if you approach it with a principle of detachment then you have to stick to it, not make silly arguments.

eviltwin wrote: »
    No it won't because married couples are not one homogeneous group. They are individuals and some will be better than others.

But all other thing being equal m/f is best

What are you, a robot??????

No it still comes down to individual traits. Some married couples on paper look perfect candidates for parenthood but wouldn't cope. Some who might not have everything going for them financially or in terms of age might be fantastic parents. You can't judge on appearances alone. Good parenting is not something that can be guaranteed by ticking a few boxes.

• Advertisement

No, all things being equal is what scientific studies have to replicate in their statistics, and those are the ones that find no difference.

What are you, a robot??????

Check your human privilege

No, all things being equal is what scientific studies have to replicate in their statistics, and those are the ones that find no difference.

You mean the ones you like. The ones you don't are not valid though

Here's a good article explaining what was wrong with the Regnerus study you quoted - it's pretty clear, even if you aren't an academic, why the methods were flawed.

It also highlights that Regnerus actually knew 3 of the 6 reviewers on his papers, and these 3 were on the record as being opposed to same sex marriage.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/percolator/controversial-gay-parenting-study-is-severely-flawed-journals-audit-finds/30255"

Its also a higher ed. website, not an obviously biased one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't take long for that loon to be banned forever, anyway.

19g6hh8dqobr1jpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

This Regnerus study is garbage. He was heavily funded by conservative groups, it's widely discredited as a biased view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

lol. The Regenerus study

This study has been completely debunked and exposed as absolutey flawed.

Nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP has been site banned

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement