Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art scholarships?

Options
  • 14-12-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a fifth year and am stuck between studying art or architecture... I need to be able to support myself when I'm older so I'm unsure about art :( The only possible solution I can see is if I go to a really good art school, I imagine it would give me more opportunities as an artist? But if i were to do that I'd need a scholarship because i won't be able to afford it otherwise.

tl;dr Do you know of any entrance scholarships for prestigious art colleges (Central Saint Martins, for example)?

Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Local Credit Unions etc can offer scholarships. I am not aware of Art scholarships, but a lot of my friends were totally supporting themselves and managed to work through college. Some stayed in hostages which worked out OK as colleges are open late for studio time. The grant at the time wouldn't even cover a weeks rent, I'm sure its about the same now.

Get thinking now about what you could work as, part time job away and at home, painting windows for x-mas etc. There was always options to make more money. As an artist you will be self employed, good to start thinking like this now.

I would try meet more people in the art world and try hone in on what aspect you'd like to work as, as opposed to 'an artist'. Even if you do get a studio and show a few times a year, you will still need something else to keep you going.

You need to get talking to some artists and get a feel for what they are doing, can you volunteer at your local gallery?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Thanks for the info :) when you say credit unions often give scholarships, do you mean student loans or actual scholarships?
    I volunteered in an art gallery for a few months last year as a part of TY. I then went to both art college and architecture school for work experience.
    I have relatives who are established artists... they're doing well financially because they're extremely talented but as previous art teachers, they recommend not going to art college?
    Is it really a waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Most students self finance and finish their studies with student loans to pay off.
    There's a lot of info re scholarships on the UAL website.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/student-fees--funding/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No I would never say that at collage is a waste!

If you live it you will find a way to finance yourself, can you attend a local college.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Art college would open up your mind and give you the opportunity to try out a variety of mediums, which otherwise you would likely never get the chance to do. You are also exposed to a variety of artistic styles and approaches, but also other artists and lecturers, which can be invaluable in establishing yourself as an artist later on - contacts can be invaluable.

If you are not sure however, then perhaps it would be worth considering an alternative course in college, such as a general business degree or something along those lines - which would surely benefit you down the line should you decide to establish yourself as an artist.

Personally, I stood at the same crossroads when I was 17. I decided to follow the artistic route in college, then left it.. so I have never worked as an artist in the end. However, I've continued to dabble by joining various groups - these days more so in the photography side of things than painting. I have friends who continued down the artistic line with various success rates - but they are happy and content with their choices. It's a very tough life, but very rewarding to be doing something you love and that is extremely important.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭BrendanBurgess

Many successful Irish artists trained as architects

Robert Ballagh
    John Doherty
    Francis Matthews

And of course, many successful artists are self-taught.

If you are interested in architecture, it would be a great qualification to get and should allow you to earn your keep.

Very few fine artists earn their keep from their art.

Brendan

Many successful Irish artists trained as architects

Robert Ballagh
    John Doherty
    Francis Matthews

And of course, many successful artists are self-taught.

If you are interested in architecture, it would be a great qualification to get and should allow you to earn your keep.

Very few fine artists earn their keep from their art.

Brendan

Cheers Brendan. I think I'll go with architecture after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Don't be so quick to set your sights on architecture, many qualified architects end up as project managers that do very little design.

Further artistic industries you could consider include:

Animation
    VFX
    Visual Communication
    Product Design
    Fashion
    Photography
    Film making

Advertisement