Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies for early season brownies

Options
  • 08-02-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Flies for river brownies any suggestions for the start of the season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

id say minkies for very early fish on an intermediate line guy?? No real action until duckfly hatch. thinking it will be slow this year...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Water (hog) louse, freshwater shrimp, dragonfly nymph, midge pupae, bloodworm, caddis pupa both cased and free crawling, small fish like stickleback, minnow, and roach fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wouldnt go out without a few orange partridges, black and silver spiders and a few goldhead hares ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dukelow

After the long hard winter brownies will be hungry and eager to build themselves up. Depending on the weather there may not be much insect life around at the start of the season. In the absents of insect life trout will be hunting down small fry and anything substantial that that come along to give them a good return on energy spent catching it. Try fry imitations of larger nymph patterns with bead heads to take them straight down to where the trout are feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drfrank

On the rivers back home I would fish early season with a double badger or CDC olive.

If presented correctly any seriously hungry fish will nail them !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs and dark olive klinkhammers and various dark olive dries work for me. Last year there were decent hatches of ldo's for 2-3 hours around midday on the rivers I fish so plenty of action on dries. It looks like it's going to be a few degrees colder this year on Feb 15th (last year it was a balmy 10-12 degrees) so that might dampen any hatches.

Advertisement