Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-Plastered Whole House - What White Emulsions for Painting?

• 05-10-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Sorry if this is a commonly asked question. Was surprised it wasn't addressed in the Common Topics Key Posts. I know very little about selecting paints so please excuse my ignorance.

I recently bought a house and after the painful task of stripping all the old wallpaper, we had all the walls re-skimmed. We did a little bit of modification work as well which involved some new stud walls, which were also plastered.

We haven't decided yet on a brand and colour for our interior walls. However, we are going to need to get started either way with doing all the walls and ceilings in white.

I was just wondering how important the choice of brand and type of emulsion is at this stage for doing these undercoats? I'm going to need a good few 10L tubs to do the whole house so I don't fancy having to go for anything too expensive. I know people will probably throw the "you get what you pay for" line at me. But what are the implications of going for a cheap emulsion as a base-coat for starting off your walls and ceilings?

Did some research and this is the type of prices available at the moment:

Woodies Brand ExtraMatt for walls and ceilings - €16 for 10L
    Woodies Brand SuperMatt for walls and ceilings - €22 for 10L
    Woodies Brand Ceiling Paint - €25 for 10L
    Vectra Matt Emulsion for walls and ceilings (in B&Q) - €12 for 10L
    Berger Superflat for walls and ceilings (in TJ O'Mahony's) - €15 (2 for €30 deal)

Are these an absolute no-no and rock bottom of the market stuff? Do I need to buy a more recognised brand even at this stage?

Can anyone tell me what the difference would be between the Woodies ExtraMatt and SuperMatt? There are so many products on the market, it's impossible to choose.

As a bit of an aside, the common recommendations for painting newly plastered walls is to sand them down and paint them with a watered down emulsion to start? Anyone disagree with this?

Cheer for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dulux Trade Supermatt. When I worked in the trade, I'm nearly sure that's the stuff we used to use. It was VERY thick, and needed diluting with about 1 part water to 3 parts paint, but it covered very well.

From that list above, I'd probably try the Berger Superflat. If very thick, add a bit of water for base coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Woodies and B&Q brands are a non runner unless you cant afford a good qulaty one I would go with any bran name apart from them some painters have there own brand they like.
    The idea is to water down the first coat to seal the plaster, never mix poly bone with the paint as apart from sealing the plaster it also seals in any damp/moister so even a little spot of moister will blister.
    Now the big one NEVER NEVER EVER sand new plaster unless it was done badly, when finishing skim the plasterer would have left a shiny silk like feel to the plaster if you sand you will open up the pores on the plaster, so unless you have to do not do this

Advertisement