Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass windbreak / alternative

Options
  • 13-10-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    I will shortly be putting in a new patio out the back of my house.

I would like to surround the area with some form of windbreak - my idea was to have a small wall around the patio, and support some tempered glass on top, to act as a windbreak (but not to make the area feel closed in).

You see this tempered glass all the time on balconies, or especially on houses near the sea, it blocks the wind but not the view.

This is fairly expensive stuff. I wonder does anyone have any ideas for alternatives? I'll admit to not having fully shopped around but before I make any design decisions I'd like some other ideas :) Or if you know some cheap sources of tempered glass that'd be great also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Perspex - There are plastic alternatives. Some are quite affordable.
    There are also opaque plastics used in conservatory roof etc but you'll loose the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

send me a pm im a glazier i might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

RKQ wrote: »
    Perspex - There are plastic alternatives. Some are quite affordable.
    There are also opaque plastics used in conservatory roof etc but you'll loose the view.

I thought of perspex - but would that not cloud up over time, seeing as it's outside? Also perspex can scratch fairly easily. Send me a link to the plastic alternatives and I'll have a look, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

all plastics will tarnish over time, so don't waste your money. the balcony posts are quite expensive. a friend of mine has started being the agent for a scandanavian system for balconies. its completley frameless and the glass can be opened fully too. the website is coverglobal, and if its to your liking, pm me and i'll give you the guys number

massy086 wrote: »
    send me a pm im a glazier i might be able to help

PM'd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Hoarej85

Hi I have 8 panels windbreakers on my patio set up as demonstration.
    I am in the process of selling them if you are interested. If so please call me 0872410034 and I will forward you photos.
    Many thanks Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hoarej85

I have 8 panel windbreaker secured with stainless steel posts.
    I am new to this site so if you let me know how to send you photos or my contact details we can progress further.

Jim

Hoarej85 wrote: »
    I have 8 panel windbreaker secured with stainless steel posts.
    I am new to this site so if you let me know how to send you photos or my contact details we can progress further.

Jim

Thanks Jim, but you're about 3 years too late! I posted the question in October 2010. You might have more luck shifting the panels on adverts.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tarmit

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Thanks Jim, but you're about 3 years too late! I posted the question in October 2010. You might have more luck shifting the panels on adverts.ie .

So did anybody here a good solution at reasonable cost

Advertisement