Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painter Tape Woes.

• 02-10-2013 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I had to replace a light switch.. I was delighted with myself after getting one that I could control with a remote control... Some plaster came off with the old switch so I replastered and went about painting over it... I couldnt get the original paint, so I decided to paint a square around it... I've done it twice now, using painters tape and everytime it takes off paint when I remove it...

th_711351855_02102013071_122_118lo.jpg

(The normal image uploader is down, this the best I can do for the moment)

The paint seems to be lifting very easily, is there anything else I could do aside from painting the whole wall.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I had to replace a light switch.. I was delighted with myself after getting one that I could control with a remote control... Some plaster came off with the old switch so I replastered and went about painting over it... I couldnt get the original paint, so I decided to paint a square around it... I've done it twice now, using painters tape and everytime it takes off paint when I remove it...

The paint seems to be lifting very easily, is there anything else I could do aside from painting the whole wall.

Get low tac tape!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Did you sand the bit before you painted it, around the light switch can pick up a lot of oil and grease from hands trying to find it so the paint won't stick to it till it's cleaned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I always used to rub the sticky side of the tape over my trouser leg a few times before I stuck it down, It helps with the release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

how long are you leaving the tape on?
    take it off as soon as the new paint is tacky. You can even just paint the border and then take it off, unless you are lashing it on it wont run and the tape wont have time to fully adhere to the other paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If it gets too tedious you could always just get a surround/finger plate like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-Gang-White-Finger-Plate/dp/B002MF4ZY8/ref=sr_1_13?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1380766195&sr=1-13 or go with something a bit more 'fancy' like these: http://www.grizeleyproducts.co.uk/light-switch-surrounds.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Your surround square is getting too big ! Bite the bullet and repaint the lot. By the way, the original colour looks like summer sun. I'd get a fan deck from a lical paint supplier and match up to the existing colour. If the original paint was straight from a tin ( and not a painters concoction of all bits left over ) then it can be matched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

If you have a steady enough hand you can draw a square around it lightly in pencil and brush your paint to the pencil lines. Surprisingly easy with a little practice.

Use a small artists brush to do the corners neatly and then a normal soft, small brush for the lines. Try it on some old cardboard first.

I often find the paint gets under the edge of the tape, which defeats the purpose entirely so I try to use it as little as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Electrical insulating tape has less grab than painters tape and will sometimes work in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just came back to this after a few days.. Thanks for the great responses.
    Get low tac tape!

Hi Mick, I tried two types... a really cheap one, and then a good one.. same result.
    fergal.b wrote: »
    Did you sand the bit before you painted it,

Yeah I was thinking about this Fergal, maybe if I cleaned it off fully it would help the tape to release.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    I always used to rub the sticky side of the tape over my trouser leg a few times before I stuck it down, It helps with the release.

Yeah I've read this online, and I think I might try this next.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    how long are you leaving the tape on?
    take it off as soon as the new paint is tacky.

Yeah I did leave it on for about a day and a half, maybe that is too long.
    If it gets too tedious you could always just get a surround/finger plate like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-Gang-White-Finger-Plate/dp/B002MF4ZY8/ref=sr_1_13?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1380766195&sr=1-13 or go with something a bit more 'fancy' like these: http://www.grizeleyproducts.co.uk/light-switch-surrounds.html

Where were you last week!!! That would have been the perfect solution. :(
    Unless they have a giant walled sized one, I dont think it's any good at this stage.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Your surround square is getting too big ! Bite the bullet and repaint the lot. By the way, the original colour looks like summer sun. I'd get a fan deck from a lical paint supplier and match up to the existing colour. If the original paint was straight from a tin ( and not a painters concoction of all bits left over ) then it can be matched.

Hey dodzy, I brought a paint chip in to Homebase, and they couldnt match it. Try to match it, then make it up from two close colours but nothing worked. I've read that even if you get the same colour that it will not match the existing colour (as it's been sitting on the wall for years). Think you might be right about painting the full wall.
    dhog4n wrote: »
    If you have a steady enough hand you can draw a square around it lightly in pencil and brush your paint to the pencil lines. Surprisingly easy with a little practice.

Have you seen my handworky above.. It's like Father Ted's car at this stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

dodzy wrote: »

Is anyone else reminded of that Father Ted episode where he was trying to tap out that tiny little dent in the car and kept making it worse?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hey dodzy, I brought a paint chip in to Homebase, and they couldnt match it. Try to match it, then make it up from two close colours but nothing worked. I've read that even if you get the same colour that it will not match the existing colour (as it's been sitting on the wall for years). Think you might be right about painting the full wall.

Bring a chip of the paint ( 1" sq will suffice ) to a decent paint suppliers. They will scan the colour digitally and run a match from that. Best way, if you really wanted to avoid repainting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I did leave it on for about a day and a half, maybe that is too long.

Yep I reckon so. Anytime I've used it its on and off in the same day.

Well, anytime after the first time....I spent a day taping the room and painted it the next day.
    Pulled off all the paint from everywhere! :(

Advertisement