Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding on a vehicle frame

Options
  • 04-10-2013 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey all, Im currently working on a winter project. Its a 150cc dune buggy/off road cart. Im going to have to give it some TLC but in general its in pretty good condition. Ive been told that if I try to weld anything onto the frame like little bits of steel tube to be able to mount mirrors, maybe some other bars or brackets - it will destroy the electrics in the engine? Another guy told me that if I leave the engine running while I weld something on the frame it will be fine :confused:

Now I dont know what to do and what will or wont ruin the engine.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Snakezilla wrote: »
    Hey all, Im currently working on a winter project. Its a 150cc dune buggy/off road cart. Im going to have to give it some TLC but in general its in pretty good condition. Ive been told that if I try to weld anything onto the frame like little bits of steel tube to be able to mount mirrors, maybe some other bars or brackets - it will destroy the electrics in the engine? Another guy told me that if I leave the engine running while I weld something on the frame it will be fine :confused:

Now I dont know what to do and what will or wont ruin the engine.

Thanks for any advice

Either disconnect the battery or leave the engine running..

My advice is remove the battery anyway when your working on the upgrades as it is also good from a fire pprevention aspect..

If I were just doing a quickie repair I just leave the engine running...

Your preventing burnout in the altenator.. there won't be any other effects of welding on the electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Thanks very much for the reply :) There is wiring for lights , indicators and Im not sure what else yet but if I disconnect the battery before welding will the alternator be ok? Im just afraid of frying anything :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Snakezilla wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply :) There is wiring for lights , indicators and Im not sure what else yet but if I disconnect the battery before welding will the alternator be ok? Im just afraid of frying anything :/
    Disconnect the battery, If you are really wanting to be careful unplug the CDI unit as well, this is a motorcycle based buggy with a motorcycle engine, bikes typically have a seperate charging system with a regulator/rectifier separate to the stator, unlike a car where its all one unit.
    The CDI should unplug easily for peace of mind.

Advertisement