Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling plywood without splinters

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭

I'm drilling around 100 8mm holes into a 6mm piece of plywood using a Bosch point bit like this one.

The entrance looks fine, but the other side looks like a war-zone with splinters shooting out that I need to pull off (or trim with a scissors after)... can't seem to sand them down as this just rips the splinters even more!

I have to do this on another sheet, is there any way to avoid the splinters? Do I need to drill faster/slower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Try taping the areas with masking tape.
    Plywood is basically splinters glued together with a laminate on top, and you are essentially pushing through it so it will splinter.

You could try:
    1) the tape
    2) drilling much slower
    3) drill into a waste block underneath to support the plywood

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Clamping a bit of waste wood top and bottom works well, you could also put a bit of tape around the drill bit so you can stop just before the bit goes all the way through but the needle point has and then drill from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'll try the waste wood suggestion thanks, also will go a bit slower, I may have rushed doing 100 holes in about 30 mins!

Incidentally should the drill be at max speed, or should I lay off the trigger?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'll try the waste wood suggestion thanks, also will go a bit slower, I may have rushed doing 100 holes in about 30 mins!

Incidentally should the drill be at max speed, or should I lay off the trigger?

Keep her lit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Keep her lit as Fergal says! As an extra measure it can help if you run the drill bit in reverse before you start drilling proper- this scores the wood fibres before cutting and can help, but this may not be practical when you have a lot of holes to bore.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    Keep her lit :D

in my experience its not the speed of the drill, but the amount of pressure you are using that causes you to break through rather than drill through the far side.

When I said drill much slower, I didnt mean RPM, I mean use less pressure, the drill itself (if using hand held) if using a bench press then press slowly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Clamp as hard as you can, ideally using a smooth piece of hardwood on the back.

maybe make up a pre-drilled top piece if its possible in your situation.

and of course less pressure on the drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

whizbang wrote: »
    Clamp as hard as you can, ideally using a smooth piece of hardwood on the back.

maybe make up a pre-drilled top piece if its possible in your situation.

and of course less pressure on the drill.

This is yer only man. As the ply is multilayered, you will usually break the outer membrane on the opposite side without a securing surface, as the layers are so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

GreeBo wrote: »
    When I said drill much slower, I didnt mean RPM, I mean use less pressure, the drill itself (if using hand held) if using a bench press then press slowly

I found that the higher RPM resulted in less damage on the otherside, but I also tried it with less pressure and that worked too.

Putting the scrap wood underneath seemed to have most improvement though, who'da thunk it.

Cheers!

mrcheez wrote: »
    I found that the higher RPM resulted in less damage on the otherside, but I also tried it with less pressure and that worked too.

Putting the scrap wood underneath seemed to have most improvement though, who'da thunk it.

Cheers!

Makes sense when you think about it...the problem is breaking through the surface, if there is something underneath then you arent breaking through, you are drilling through.

Enjoy the drilling! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement